Family Car Suggestion

Looking at getting a new (used) motor and wondered if any of you lovely people have any recommendations?

We have an 'old model' CMax (2007) and SWMBO likes the elevation of that. The only other criteria is to fit 3 child seats in the back for 'just in case'/look at a 7 seater.

Can provide more info if there's specifics but just want people's views on the used market at the minute. Have an £8,000 cash budget.

TIA

15 Comments

New c max

Swapped a C-Max for a Mazda CX-5 and really pleased. That was from a Mazda dealer.

My cars come from Motorpoint and I havent regretted buying from them.

Hi

We sell a lot of Honda FRV's to people in your situation

Flexabitly of 6 seats and a boot --- residuals are superb on them aswell ... Would suit your budget really well

Outlander or Santa Fe if you are looking for the occasional 7 seat configuration.

Original Poster

cov4theprem

New c max

It's on the list to try out

ccnp

Swapped a C-Max for a Mazda CX-5 and really pleased. That was from a … Swapped a C-Max for a Mazda CX-5 and really pleased. That was from a Mazda dealer.My cars come from Motorpoint and I havent regretted buying from them.

Going to have to look around at that. The AutoTrader listings all have high mileage.

NAZ17

Hi We sell a lot of Honda FRV's to people in your situation Flexabitly of … Hi We sell a lot of Honda FRV's to people in your situation Flexabitly of 6 seats and a boot --- residuals are superb on them aswell ... Would suit your budget really well

2009 is the youngest...want something newer ideally.

Smax best MPV on road imo.

I can tell you last year we looked at all the MPV and estates for a new car and rules out most of them. It's amazing how many don't even have seats that fold flat or have a tailgate wide enough or back seat leg room. We eventually went for a Honda Civic Tourer, we mainly wanted it for Camping just 2 adults and the dog but can see the benefit for families too.

PulisOut

I can tell you last year we looked at all the MPV and estates for a new … I can tell you last year we looked at all the MPV and estates for a new car and rules out most of them. It's amazing how many don't even have seats that fold flat or have a tailgate wide enough or back seat leg room. We eventually went for a Honda Civic Tourer, we mainly wanted it for Camping just 2 adults and the dog but can see the benefit for families too.

Excellent cars but the ride height is a little on the low side compared to most family cars, the OP mentioned they like the height of the CMax

We sold our ford galaxy c max and got a Mercedes vito best decision EVER has loads of leg room for all 8 seats, very good sized boot can fit bikes, pushchairs and shopping in all at once. Sliding doors, so not worrying about kids hitting other cars as they get in/out has parking sensors, leather seats and tinted windows. All for just over £8k! Highly recommended, looks alot classier then the galaxies, and always room for the nephews and nieces to jump in as there are 8 seats

buzymum

We sold our ford galaxy c max and got a Mercedes vito best decision EVER … We sold our ford galaxy c max and got a Mercedes vito best decision EVER has loads of leg room for all 8 seats, very good sized boot can fit bikes, pushchairs and shopping in all at once. Sliding doors, so not worrying about kids hitting other cars as they get in/out has parking sensors, leather seats and tinted windows. All for just over £8k! Highly recommended, looks alot classier then the galaxies, and always room for the nephews and nieces to jump in as there are 8 seats

Don't you have to insure it as a van?, Lose all your no claims if you wish to revert back to a car in the future :(, Fitting within the lines when parking in the supermarkets are difficult etc..

Other than the badge I wouldn't say they're classier, They're not as refined, louder, less economical don't drive anywhere near as nice as virtually any car, Cost more to maintain.

No doubt plenty of space, functional and fairly comfortable but they do have there flaws, Also being everyone's taxi isn't always a good thing.

Edited by: "shauneco" 9th Mar

spoo

Excellent cars but the ride height is a little on the low side compared … Excellent cars but the ride height is a little on the low side compared to most family cars, the OP mentioned they like the height of the CMax

Yes that was the only thing we had to give up because before we had a 3008 with the extra of passenger adjustment on the seat. But the front is a lot lower then most car and a clear view out the back and a reversing camera more then makes up for that.

If you are on the budget like us I recomend Citroën C4 Picasso or grand if you need 7 seaters. We keep changing models through the eyars but lve the car. its very reliable, cheap parts. I travel to work quite far and its so comfortable. Im small person but i gives you a lot space inside even for 3 car seats.

Original Poster

kesi10032003

If you are on the budget like us I recomend Citroën C4 Picasso or grand … If you are on the budget like us I recomend Citroën C4 Picasso or grand if you need 7 seaters. We keep changing models through the eyars but lve the car. its very reliable, cheap parts. I travel to work quite far and its so comfortable. Im small person but i gives you a lot space inside even for 3 car seats.

​Saw one on AT last night. rear seats are all full size. Think I'll be giving it a test drive.

fozzeh

​Saw one on AT last night. rear seats are all full size. Think I'll be g … ​Saw one on AT last night. rear seats are all full size. Think I'll be giving it a test drive.

I've driven a current model C4 picasso, they're very comfortable, roomy and easy to drive. I would definitely lease one at the right price but not sure I'd want to buy one and gamble long term on Citroen reliability. In the OPs position I'd be inclined to go for another Cmax or an Smax if you need the extra size.

shauneco

Don't you have to insure it as a van?, Lose all your no claims if you … Don't you have to insure it as a van?, Lose all your no claims if you wish to revert back to a car in the future :(, Fitting within the lines when parking in the supermarkets are difficult etc.. Other than the badge I wouldn't say they're classier, They're not as refined, louder, less economical don't drive anywhere near as nice as virtually any car, Cost more to maintain.No doubt plenty of space, functional and fairly comfortable but they do have there flaws, Also being everyone's taxi isn't always a good thing.

Lol NO who told you that? Its insured as a people carrrier A CAR not a van. Its so smooth to drive after all its a Mercedes and its diesel so getting just as good fuel economy as my bmw 520d. Trust me the ford galaxy we had was 2013 plate and it was so sluggish to drive I hated every second of it, we only bought it as the reviews were so good, but i guess not everyone can afford a vito as they are way more to insure and you cannot get one with low milage for under 10k, I got mine from a family friend who no longer needed it so did us a great deal. But overall its great, cant fault it, oh and it STARTS first time everytime unlike the galaxy's which are know to take several attempts to start in the morning, very frustrating lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want some backless loafers for men33
    2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)510
    3. Xbox one region locked codes?22
    4. Phone "Upgrade"36

See more discussions