Found 26th Mar 2009
Really need some help here.........It is driving me mad.

Our ginger tom Jasper has started to spary in the house. Only little specs here and there but enough to get me really frustrated. Also has had up a door which has run onto the carpet.

Were trying to work out why he is doing it etc but my main question is what and how is the best process for cleaning cat wee, specifically off a carpet.

Have read up on the subject and will be buying some bits recomended, but i was wandering if people here have had this happen and how they dealt with it.

Aaaaaarrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
24 Comments

get him spayed, cats who are spayed can't spray. it's such a strong smell, good luck in removing it.

All Tom cats do this! best to get him done ASAP!!

Banned

as above, only way to stop is get him done

Threads like this re-itterate why i refuse to have pets ewwww

yeah as above we had ours done as soon as we could and we never had this problem

good luck in getting rid of that smell!

Original Poster

Sorry peeps, forgot to say, he was done ages ago, he is now 17 months old .....

we used spray bleach when a stray came in- depends were he marked - a good wash of area will remove it

Bicarbonate of soda on the affected area is supposed to take the smell away. Maybe he feels threatened by an another cat in the area so he is trying to secure his territory.

Simple solution just get rid of the cat. lol

we had this trouble and found letting him out more helped,plus he was laso done and didnt stop him weeing everywhere,we have foil all over the place to prevent it,his ok now but took months for him to stop,and trying to get rid of the smell is never ending,have not found a good way yet..good luck:)

aww, he is gorgeous. don't understand how he can spray if he is spayed

Original Poster

smiling2901;4743611

we had this trouble and found letting him out more helped,plus he was … we had this trouble and found letting him out more helped,plus he was laso done and didnt stop him weeing everywhere,we have foil all over the place to prevent it,his ok now but took months for him to stop,and trying to get rid of the smell is never ending,have not found a good way yet..good luck:)

Thanks.

Today i have put food and tin foil where he seems to be doing it to see if it deters him.

Lemon peel or citrus smells they don't like either.

I'm going to buy some biological washing powder, soda crystals and surgical spirit which apparently are the most effective at cleaning the wee.

Original Poster

brangelina;4743624

aww, he is gorgeous. don't understand how he can spray if he is spayed

He has his fathers looks ........... he he (not toilet behaviour though!!) :-D

I have four Cats, and of course there are always little accidents, but one seem to be getting worse, so a visit to the Vets confirmed a Kidney infection. Unfortunately it was terminal but could have been managed had we taken the cat earlier. So get him checked out.

As for the smell, after searching the 'net' for a solution and trying numerous over the counter products, found a suggestion on a forum to use ........ [SIZE="4"]VODKA[/SIZE].......... just spray a bit on the patch leave it to dry and within a week no smell. It really worked, and you can also add a bit to any washing that the cat has had an accident on and it gets the smell out really well.

Good luck with your georgeous cat. :thumbsup:

Hi there my sister had a similar problem her cat which went on for a long time, the vet recenlty reccomended a pheromone plug in and as far as i no this has stopped the problem i think u can buy them from the vets.

Hope this helps

Original Poster

Thankyou both, much appreciated.

I did take him the vets this morning and have got to get a urine sample for them to test.
They said he seemed fine, no obvious signs from the outside but the sample will show any infection/cystitus.

I thought i had read somewhere about vodka !! Wow, will give it a go.

Guess what i will be doing this evening !!

Original Poster

sarahbn;4744297

Hi there my sister had a similar problem her cat which went on for a long … Hi there my sister had a similar problem her cat which went on for a long time, the vet recenlty reccomended a pheromone plug in and as far as i no this has stopped the problem i think u can buy them from the vets.Hope this helps

Was it Feliway?

Several people have recommended it, thanks. :thumbsup:

smithyp1;4744311

Was it Feliway?Several people have recommended it, thanks. :thumbsup:

Yeah i think that may well have been it, only problem is it can change the personality of the cat too which may not be what you want.

We have a cat (neutered at 6 months) that did this for years - he finally stopped when his age reached double figures. I found bicarb in water to be the best. Mix to a paste (loads of bicarb) spread on then rinse off. We tried everything else - sprays, plug in things, hormone treatment - our vet said some tom cats are just like this.

smithyp1;4744311

Was it Feliway?Several people have recommended it, thanks. :thumbsup:

brilliant stuff. Stopped out cat licking himself raw (yes I know its a diff prob but its still great stuff!!)

Original Poster

Susannah;4746188

We have a cat (neutered at 6 months) that did this for years - he finally … We have a cat (neutered at 6 months) that did this for years - he finally stopped when his age reached double figures. I found bicarb in water to be the best. Mix to a paste (loads of bicarb) spread on then rinse off. We tried everything else - sprays, plug in things, hormone treatment - our vet said some tom cats are just like this.

jennybubbles;4746611

brilliant stuff. Stopped out cat licking himself raw (yes I know its a … brilliant stuff. Stopped out cat licking himself raw (yes I know its a diff prob but its still great stuff!!)

Thankyou :thumbsup:

lovin you cat lovin people xxx

I don't know how to get rid of the smell. I have a female cat! I do have pet behavior spray though to discourage her scratching where I don't want her to. It works a treat for my cat and it's citrus scented so I don't know if it may help once you clean the area to deter further marking.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. School shoes - with lights33
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...89
    3. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.36
    4. Foo fighters presale code.3436

See more discussions