FAO STAFF: Weird "Is This Goodbye?" email

Posted 9th MayEdited by:"Des-de-la-Monde"
This morning, I received 2 emails from this site with the subject "is this goodbye"?

Both emails begin "As you've not accessed your user account for so long, in line with GDPR stipulations we need to let you know that your account has now been flagged for removal".

I find this weird, because I've been using the site a lot recently - among other things, I have created 2 new alerts in recent days (1 just yesterday IIRC, although it might have been the day before that).

What do I need to do to ensure that my account is not deleted?

Thanks
Des
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Are you sure that it's not a scam email?
Pretty sure as the subject line was prefaced with my username (as opposed to my display name) here and the button which the email asked me to click on had a url beginning with mailer.pepper.com/link/ which resolved to the main hotukdeals.com site
Yes I got this for old account not used
Ukguy10109/05/2020 13:33

Yes I got this for old account not used

I understand that, but this is for the account that I use frequently (multiple times daily for at least the last couple of months)
Des-de-la-Monde09/05/2020 13:40

I understand that, but this is for the account that I use frequently …I understand that, but this is for the account that I use frequently (multiple times daily for at least the last couple of months)

It's a mystery that then??
Contact them for verification, could well be a bug
Hey. I'd give admin a quick message through the contact us section on the website (can't link right now as I'm on my phone). They'll be able to check for you and prevent your account being deleted.

Failing that, @Jason or @Dan may be able to assist further.
Thanks Esar and Eden0032! I will do.
Eden003209/05/2020 16:40

Hey. I'd give admin a quick message through the contact us section on the …Hey. I'd give admin a quick message through the contact us section on the website (can't link right now as I'm on my phone). They'll be able to check for you and prevent your account being deleted.Failing that, @Jason or @Dan may be able to assist further.

@Andy looks to be online and might be able to help with this one, think the op needs a quick answer
Thanks @eslick - I've not been online long tonight, but I can see from staff discussion and handover chats that this is being looked at by the team and we'll come back to you soonest
Andy09/05/2020 18:49

Thanks @eslick - I've not been online long tonight, but I can see from …Thanks @eslick - I've not been online long tonight, but I can see from staff discussion and handover chats that this is being looked at by the team and we'll come back to you soonest

Thanks again @eslick and thanks Andy and the team who are looking at this for me. I really appreciate it!
Just received exactly the same email. I'm on HotUKDeals at least daily, if not more - it's a great site. Email has a link saying Ok, Log Me In; but I've been logged in for ages. Looks genuine but I'm wary of clicking and have contacted HUKD for clarification.
This is genuine. We have to do this when accounts are inactive for a period or when we recently made big changes to our privacy policy.

There has been no breach. There is nothing to worry about. If you believe you should not have received it because your account is active it'll likely be because you have another account for which the email covered. If you want me to look into that just let me know by private message.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions