Groups

FAQ Guide to buying a US 3DS XL (help needed - fill in gaps)

I have been looking at buying a US 3DS XL for a while now. Quite a few question marks on it for me. So if anyone has experience of one and/or knowledge please fill in the gaps or add detail and I will update the info below. Will maybe help others in future too.

1. The cartridges are region locked. A UK/European bought cart will not work on a US console and vice versa.

--------------------------------------------
    QUESTIONS NEED HELP WITH
    --------------------------------------------

Q. If you buy a new US 3DS XL, and it has an issue can you send it to Nintendo UK for repair under the warranty scheme?

Q. Is a US bought 3DS XL tied to the US E-Shop only? If so is it simple enough to access from the UK and purchase titles?

Q. If for example someone using a European 3DS XL has MK7 but you have bought a US 3DS and don't have the game. Can the US 3DS XL play also via the 'temporary download local multi-player game' ?

2 Comments

noahsdad

1. The cartridges are region locked. A UK/European bought cart will not … 1. The cartridges are region locked. A UK/European bought cart will not work on a US console and vice versa.

It's the system that's region-locked, not the cartridges - but the impact is as you say.

Q. If you buy a new US 3DS XL, and it has an issue can you send it to … Q. If you buy a new US 3DS XL, and it has an issue can you send it to Nintendo UK for repair under the warranty scheme?

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/manuals/warrantytext_eng.jsp

This warranty is only valid in the United States and Canada.

I'd take that as meaning "no". I expect that they may be able to repair at cost, though, depending on the nature of the issue.

Q. If you buy a new US 3DS XL, and it has an issue can you send it to Nintendo UK for repair under the warranty scheme?
    No. This is only valid with Nintendo of America

Q. Is a US bought 3DS XL tied to the US E-Shop only? If so is it simple enough to access from the UK and purchase titles?
    US eshop only. You can access this fine in the UK.

Q. If for example someone using a European 3DS XL has MK7 but you have bought a US 3DS and don't have the game. Can the US 3DS XL play also via the 'temporary download local multi-player game' ?
    Not that I'm aware of. I think this is restricted to the region of the console.

Hope this helps.
    Not sure a HUKD FAQ thread is needed for this to be honest.
    1) Only a very small minority will do this and the information is readily available on 3DS Reddit, etc
    2) Custom Firmware will give you the ability to run multi-region games. With the recent revelations even those with basic computer knowledge can install it risk free.
    Edited by: "DT89" 24th Jan
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win £1000 @ Capital FM1919
      2. Win £50,000 with ITV7 (Closes 2:25pm Saturday 09/09)22
      3. Samsung Galaxy Note 8 International Giveaway!77
      4. win a hamper - orbit homes - kent commuter mag99

See more discussions