Far Right party now second largest party in Germany

Found 20th Feb
The Politically correct media and Merkel open door policies push people to extremist parties imo, not a good trend!!

The far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party narrowly surpassed the center-left Social Democrats for the first time in a national poll on Monday.

The poll by Insa, commissioned by Bild newspaper, showed the AfD at 16 percent support compared to the SPD at 15.5 percent — a new low for what has traditionally been one of Germany’s largest parties.

Angela Merkel’s conservative CDU/CSU bloc reached 32 percent support, which was an increase of 2.5 percentage points from last week’s survey.

The poll comes at a time when the SPD is wrestling with infighting and trying to decide the future direction of the party. Its former leader, Martin Schulz, stepped down last week, leaving the party leadership in turmoil.

The SPD received its worst post-war election result in September’s ballot and initially refused to rejoin a government with Merkel’s conservatives. But the party eventually came around to the idea of another “grand coalition” when it appeared there were few other options, angering some members who argued it would suffer further losses if it continued as a junior coalition partner under Merkel.
Community Updates
Misc
47 Comments
Anti-immigration party. Well done Mrs Merkel you played a blinder
The far right have a part to play in the balance that is politics, esp. here in Europe where they have been in a sort of "exile".

The scales have been tipped by the left for too long, the native populations feel overwhelmed and so a correction is taking place. This does not mean the Nazis are back or that non whites are going to be hanged from trees.

The rest of politics will moderate the far right and the correction of the balance will occur.

In Africa you might call this a "nationalist" party or government and give it a UN endorsement. Freedom fighters the man on street will say, ZANU PF, votes and rights for all at the cost of minority populations.
Edited by: "groenleader" 20th Feb
RIP Social democracy in europe.
33294505-o44oT.jpg
Quite surprising because Germany has no history of voting far right extremists into power
Looks like the SPD are currently having issues. I see no reason to think AfD are doing any better than other parties that aim for the usual people who feel forgotten.
Nothing surprising in this as it will be the same as the UK and US. Forgotten groups who have had wages driven down by immigration getting angry and drifting to the extremes.

Fortunately Germany and France have much stronger leaders providing a choice compared to the likes of May, Cameron and Clinton.

That said the rise of the far right across Europe and America is disgusting. The anti immigrant, anti female, anti LGBT rhetoric is a massive step backwards for society.
Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 20th Feb
It doesn't exactly suprise me, the same will more than likely happen in this country one day, it possibly would have already if the minority groups of do gooders and protesters hadn't shouted so loud that the public listened to them, BUT and it's a very big but if you have to understand that it's a poll and look how accurate they normally are!
Dyslexic_Dog1 m ago

It doesn't exactly suprise me, the same will more than likely happen in …It doesn't exactly suprise me, the same will more than likely happen in this country one day, it possibly would have already if the minority groups of do gooders and protesters hadn't shouted so loud that the public listened to them, BUT and it's a very big but if you have to understand that it's a poll and look how accurate they normally are!

It already happened, UKIP. And now it's over.
Let's be honest, if May does go and Rees Mogg gets in then are we actually not moving towards an AFD style party being in charge?
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals21 m ago

Let's be honest, if May does go and Rees Mogg gets in then are we actually …Let's be honest, if May does go and Rees Mogg gets in then are we actually not moving towards an AFD style party being in charge?

Errr no, we are not. I'm not a Mogg fan, but to associate his views with the afd is ridiculous.
It's a common mistake made in the UK to assume that anyone left of centre is a Commie and anyone right of centre is a Facist. Fortunately political extremists is the uk are a tiny impotent group.
airbus3301 m ago

Errr no, we are not. I'm not a Mogg fan, but to associate his views with …Errr no, we are not. I'm not a Mogg fan, but to associate his views with the afd is ridiculous.It's a common mistake made in the UK to assume that anyone left of centre is a Commie and anyone right of centre is a Facist. Fortunately political extremists is the uk are a tiny impotent group.

Views on women. Views on LGBT rights. Views on immigration and foreign aid.

Not much difference between the two but not the same gender me saying 'moving towards'.

It's a common mistake on the internet to read what you want to read and not what's there on the page.
Saturn30 m ago

Shocking incident for a 12 year-old to experience, but going by the …Shocking incident for a 12 year-old to experience, but going by the comments, a similar party could easily gain support in the UK.

Mainstream politics is failing people badly, and the choices for change are nil.
Opening up a country to an influx of people with radically different ideas from countries with extreme low wages , just to stagnate wages and supply greedy companies with cheap labour here , was at best misguided... At worst cynical and calculated.
Couple this with no information being available about the true costs of this .. Crime, housing , benefits , schools , hospitals ( because it's racist to calculate the cost of immigration without control) at the same time cutting benefits to the disabled , cutting police/fire/social care budgets was a recipe for unrest .
Then have the bright idea to have a referendum to leave the EU , the organisation which facilitated this situation was indeed genius.

No new far right party will emerge , there's enough of them in the Tory party anyhow. Politics is at a low ebb and political ability at an all time low , and the time is ripe for a person with vision and ability , but none on the horizon it appears .
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals35 m ago

Views on women. Views on LGBT rights. Views on immigration and foreign …Views on women. Views on LGBT rights. Views on immigration and foreign aid. Not much difference between the two but not the same gender me saying 'moving towards'. It's a common mistake on the internet to read what you want to read and not what's there on the page.

'Moving towards' implies a destination. In your case, you are saying that Moggs potential leadership would lead the Torys towards afd-like polices. Since both Tory and Labour parties in the uk are 'broad churches' this pretty unlikely. The Uk has a long and successful history of avoiding extremist politics. No reason to believe that has changed. Although, attacks on freedom of speech, such as no platforming, are a danger to all.
Edited by: "airbus330" 20th Feb
“For me, the new Germany exists only in order to ensure the existence of the State of Israel...”

Martin Schulz, Former President of the European Union and former leader of the SDP.

Source: Israeli newspaper
haaretz.com/opi…471
airbus33047 m ago

'Moving towards' implies a destination. In your case, you are saying that …'Moving towards' implies a destination. In your case, you are saying that Moggs potential leadership would lead the Torys towards afd-like polices. Since both Tory and Labour parties in the uk are 'broad churches' this pretty unlikely. The Uk has a long and successful history of avoiding extremist politics. No reason to believe that has changed. Although, attacks on freedom of speech, such as no platforming, are a danger to all.

We do have a history of avoiding extremist politics, which makes the last couple of years and the emergence of the likes of Rees-Mogg even more alarming.

This is a country where the second most read national newspaper labelled judges as 'enemies of the people'. I think ignoring what is coming from right wing voices in a number of countries is a dangerous game to play.
lockwoodisbored1 h, 0 m ago

“For me, the new Germany exists only in order to ensure the existence of t …“For me, the new Germany exists only in order to ensure the existence of the State of Israel...”Martin Schulz, Former President of the European Union and former leader of the SDP.Source: Israeli newspaperhttps://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-thank-you-to-martin-schulz-1.5322471

The story is behind a paywall.
lockwoodisbored4 m ago

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.haaretz.com/amp/opinion/.premium-thank-you-to-martin-schulz-1.5322471Does that one work? My network is blocking several links.

Nope still the same.
When you have a playful liberal left wing kindergarten, full of kids making so much noise kicking over dustbins, it was only a matter of time before the lion awoke.
Dilithium24 m ago

When you have a playful liberal left wing kindergarten, full of kids …When you have a playful liberal left wing kindergarten, full of kids making so much noise kicking over dustbins, it was only a matter of time before the lion awoke.

Lion?
Towelie21 m ago

Yeah one of the free lions from the Ingerland shirt.No surrender!

I'm intrigued as to this 'lion' he thinks has awoken though. Is he describing the far-right as a lion?
deleted265520
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals15 m ago

I'm intrigued as to this 'lion' he thinks has awoken though. Is he … I'm intrigued as to this 'lion' he thinks has awoken though. Is he describing the far-right as a lion?

Perhaps he meant the far right lying but didn't know how to spell it.
The thing that got me the most is that simpleton will be all for British things but then can't even use correct British language!

And they wonder why we mock?
Dilithium3 h, 31 m ago

When you have a playful liberal left wing kindergarten, full of kids …When you have a playful liberal left wing kindergarten, full of kids making so much noise kicking over dustbins, it was only a matter of time before the lion awoke.

33297503-DdCcF.jpg
Towelie6 m ago

The thing that got me the most is that simpleton will be all for British …The thing that got me the most is that simpleton will be all for British things but then can't even use correct British language!And they wonder why we mock?

Firstly I think you're referring to English rather than 'British Language'

Secondly your English isn't really that great in your posts, so you probably shouldn't criticise others use of English.

Thirdly when you state 'they', who is it exactly that you're referring to? From the context it sounds suspiciously racist against white British and or English people.
Edited by: "davewave" 20th Feb
davewave1 h, 52 m ago

Firstly I think you're referring to English rather than 'British …Firstly I think you're referring to English rather than 'British Language'Secondly your English isn't really that great in your posts, so you probably shouldn't criticise others use of English.Thirdly when you state 'they', who is it exactly that you're referring to? From the context it sounds suspiciously racist against white British and or English people.

It's the 3 ego's ;), I think it's probably something to do with having superiority simplex, They think they're better than everybody else because they can string a couple of sentences together ;).
Ooh, just one more needed now for a line on Special Bingo!
It's just an opinion poll, right?

A bit of clickbaity thread, dave.

Very unlike you.
Edited by: "komakino" 20th Feb
Dilithium6 h, 47 m ago

Who the heck put a lion in a kindergarten?!
Edited by: "tryn2help" 20th Feb
komakino1 h, 7 m ago

It's just an opinion poll, right?A bit of clickbaity thread, dave.Very …It's just an opinion poll, right?A bit of clickbaity thread, dave.Very unlike you.

Bild is a well respected newspaper, Merkel has a weaker position than May, it's relevant. Don't comment if you think it's irrelevant.
tryn2help59 m ago

Who the heck put a lion in a kindergarten?!

Asking the real questions.
Rise (again) of the far right in Germany.
Any Brexiteers fancy changing their minds to get a piece of that action?
davewave43 m ago

Bild is a well respected newspaper, Merkel has a weaker position than May, …Bild is a well respected newspaper, Merkel has a weaker position than May, it's relevant. Don't comment if you think it's irrelevant.

Can't be surprised at the rise of the right in Germany (and across Europe), it was predicted on this forum by myself and I'm sure others.

If I remember correctly it was along the lines of only right-wing governments would be up for war with the Ruskies, but the problem was how to get right-wingers in place (or something along those lines - it was a while ago).
Edited by: "tryn2help" 20th Feb
tryn2help14 m ago

Can't be surprised at the rise of the right in Germany (and across …Can't be surprised at the rise of the right in Germany (and across Europe), it was predicted on this forum by myself and I'm sure others.If I remember correctly it was along the lines of only right-wing governments would be up for war with the Ruskies, but the problem was how to get right-wingers in place (or something along those lines - it was a while ago).

We're going to war with Russia!! Is this official? Should I cancel my direct debits? Is it worth taking advantage of Easter Egg offers?
Uranus20th Feb

Rise (again) of the far right in Germany.Any Brexiteers fancy changing …Rise (again) of the far right in Germany.Any Brexiteers fancy changing their minds to get a piece of that action?

Last time the far-right got power in Germany was due to many things, not least the Americans putting the final nail in the coffin of the German economy (after Wall Street crash) and calling in debts.

The German government (Weimar Republic) decided upon a course of action that would lead to mass unemployment whilst cutting social security payments, leaving vast numbers - already blaming their government for defeat in WW1 and agreeing to an unjust Versailles treaty (in the eyes of many Germans) - struggling to feed their families.
Saturn30 m ago

We're going to war with Russia!! Is this official? Should I cancel my …We're going to war with Russia!! Is this official? Should I cancel my direct debits? Is it worth taking advantage of Easter Egg offers?

"Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley."
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions