Farmer piling silage bales next to house

Posted 1st Nov
Hi,

My house is a one of 7 houses that face/back onto a farmers field. The side of my house backs onto this field, over the last 12 months the farmer has started to pile silage bales right next to the boundary between the houses and his field, this week he has stacked 3 bales high directly outside all of my ground floor windows blocking out light....there will obviously be issues with smell and flies when we get to the warmer weather in spring. I’m absolutely gutted about this, I’ve tried to speak to the farmer but only managed to speak to his wife who has refused to engage in conversation. The parish and local council have been no help yet....does anyone know of any legislation and/or advice that I could use to fight my case? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
@mutley1 is hot on property matters. I've tagged him in so hopefully he'll pop in and be able to advise you.
So you bought a house next to a working farm field, and aren't too please that there are hay bales??

(Your post history shows you to be quite the complainer.. are you sure this is actually a problem?!)
Edited by: "adam_holcombe" 1st Nov
5th November soon, perfect timing
34 Comments
The house is two year old
5th November soon, perfect timing
This can be a nightmare. Not only does it have an impact on your light, it will also have an impact on the resale value of your home. You should look at your title deeds, there may be some kind of clause or entitlement. You should look at the farmer's title deeds too. You need to speak with the farmer and ask for him consider your plight although it's hard to believe that he doesn't already realise.

Smell pollution is a separate issue that may or may not be relevant to your situation at a later date.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 1st Nov
Hope you get it sorted, what a nightmare for you and your family

I should imagine he didn't like the houses being built, but that's not your fault and you've to live there, some people are hell bent on making misery for others...and trust me, he'll know he's doing it.
How close is this to your house? Picture?
So you bought a house next to a working farm field, and aren't too please that there are hay bales??

(Your post history shows you to be quite the complainer.. are you sure this is actually a problem?!)
Edited by: "adam_holcombe" 1st Nov
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 18:05

Comment deleted

Doesn't really work though does it? I'd be so upset if this was my house and the OP just needs a lawful way to sort it out, can't see him getting far with a 'friendly discussion' which is a shame. I'm guessing the farmer's wife would not be quite as stubborn but probably doesn't wqnt to speak out against her husband.
@mutley1 is hot on property matters. I've tagged him in so hopefully he'll pop in and be able to advise you.
maccy1i01/11/2019 18:09

Doesn't really work though does it? I'd be so upset if this was my house …Doesn't really work though does it? I'd be so upset if this was my house and the OP just needs a lawful way to sort it out, can't see him getting far with a 'friendly discussion' which is a shame. I'm guessing the farmer's wife would not be quite as stubborn but probably doesn't wqnt to speak out against her husband.

Yeah doesn’t really work, but if it did happen and damage occurs to your property the farmer would be liable, it would increase their insurance premiums and give them a lot of negative PR about putting the bales so close to the houses.
Would this not be a fire risk, depending on how close to the house it is. Just give the farmer a letter with your concerns and contact details. Deliver it to his wife if he's out. Hopefully you will get it sorted.
Ask your insurance company if there could be a problem, they'll then write to the farmer about it if needs be
maccy1i01/11/2019 18:01

some people are hell bent on making misery for others...and trust me, …some people are hell bent on making misery for others...and trust me, he'll know he's doing it.

How true.
deeky01/11/2019 18:44

How true.

Something makes me think you've strayed from this thread
maccy1i01/11/2019 18:45

Something makes me think you've strayed from this thread

What? What? Where am I?

A quick Google shows that there may be some rules around storage - see gov.uk/gui…oil
deeky01/11/2019 18:47

What? What? Where am I?

All roads lead to Rome...or so they say
robertsclark01/11/2019 18:48

A quick Google shows that there may be some rules around storage - see …A quick Google shows that there may be some rules around storage - see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/storing-silage-slurry-and-agricultural-fuel-oil

these unfortunately don’t apply in my circumstance.
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 18:02

How close is this to your house? Picture?

Bales are 2-3meters from my boundary and about 3-4meters from my actual house.
OllieSt01/11/2019 17:45

This can be a nightmare. Not only does it have an impact on your light, …This can be a nightmare. Not only does it have an impact on your light, it will also have an impact on the resale value of your home. You should look at your title deeds, there may be some kind of clause or entitlement. You should look at the farmer's title deeds too. You need to speak with the farmer and ask for him consider your plight although it's hard to believe that he doesn't already realise. Smell pollution is a separate issue that may or may not be relevant to your situation at a later date.

what do you think the clause/entitlement could be?
Why the concern over flies / smells, ...in autumn / winter!? ..seems ridiculous.(I live next to farm fields) ..the OP hasn't stated objectively how close to the home they are, nor how much actual light is blocked, nor for how long, nor in what direction it is in relation to shadow as to how much will be cast & for how long.

Is this winter feed for an adjacent field? ..ie for use shortly?
Nice thermal barrier that will likely save you a few bob in potential heating quite possibly.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 1st Nov
IamMT01/11/2019 17:25

Sell it to @mutley1

I thought this WAS mutley at first and was surprised not to see his name on this!
Mr_Gus01/11/2019 20:06

Why the concern over flies / smells, ...in autumn / winter!? ..seems …Why the concern over flies / smells, ...in autumn / winter!? ..seems ridiculous.(I live next to farm fields) ..the OP hasn't stated objectively how close to the home they are, nor how much actual light is blocked, nor for how long, nor in what direction it is in relation to shadow as to how much will be cast & for how long.Is this winter feed for an adjacent field? ..ie for use shortly? Nice thermal barrier that will likely save you a few bob in potential heating quite possibly.

I have stated that they’re 3-4 meters away from the side wall of house in the post a couple above yours.

ive stayed smell/flies will be an issue in spring, not now.

the farmer started putting bales along with permitted of my housing development approx 12 months ago and hasn’t moved/used any of them yet so it’s likely to be long term.
borat123401/11/2019 17:05

The house is two year old

Does this infer this is revenge action from a disgruntled farmer who didn't want the houses to be built, which may subsequently imply the farmer will be obstructive regardless of reasoning?

borat123401/11/2019 20:44

...only managed to speak to his wife who has refused to engage in …...only managed to speak to his wife who has refused to engage in conversation.

Obstructive seems more plausible if the wife is also reluctant to discuss.
Contact the fire dept and they will have a look to see if they are a fire risk. If they are they will force the farmer to move them.

Another way is to wait until xmas and go to the farm house with a xmas card and a bottle of scotch and whist you are there politly ask if they can be moved to a diferent location.

State that the reason you would like them moved is the view across the field, don't agitate them.
Awe, those pesky kids with they're fireworks!
Just hope it’s a rotational thing every few year for storage and field use. It may of always been this way every few years... if the farmer is annoyed with the houses being built he’s probably looked into the legal side and seen how close he can put them there...

anyway asking on here won’t do any good, best off speaking to solicitor, even club together with other home owners maybe..
Do you spy on him? His probably trying to block the view to his farm/fields
You say that your house is one of 7 adjacent to the field and was built 2 years ago, yet the farmer only started doing this within the last 12 months. That suggests to me that its not the houses being there that is annoying the farmer, if it was he would have done this right at the start when building commenced.
Most likely someone has complained about his activities, probably one of the occupants of the other houses.
You need to find out why he has started doing this, though given the response from his wife that may not be easy.
Delbert.Grady02/11/2019 10:06

You say that your house is one of 7 adjacent to the field and was built 2 …You say that your house is one of 7 adjacent to the field and was built 2 years ago, yet the farmer only started doing this within the last 12 months. That suggests to me that its not the houses being there that is annoying the farmer, if it was he would have done this right at the start when building commenced.Most likely someone has complained about his activities, probably one of the occupants of the other houses.You need to find out why he has started doing this, though given the response from his wife that may not be easy.

Or, just maybe, the farmer has done this for years.
adam_holcombe02/11/2019 13:04

Or, just maybe, the farmer has done this for years.

Not according to the ops original post "over the last 12 months the farmer has started to pile silage bales...".
If the farmer had always done it, the op would have seen it last year and when he viewed the house / plot before purchase.
Delbert.Grady02/11/2019 13:37

Not according to the ops original post "over the last 12 months the farmer …Not according to the ops original post "over the last 12 months the farmer has started to pile silage bales...".If the farmer had always done it, the op would have seen it last year and when he viewed the house / plot before purchase.

No? What's a fallow year then??

OP is acting like one of those idiots that moves in next to a gig venue and moans about the noise!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants