Farmers market hygiene?

Found 9th Jun
Seems these farmers markets are popping up all over the country but I worry about food hygiene. It was 23c today so really hot and the market was from 9am - 1.30 pm. All the pies and cheese along with fresh meats were out on display with no cover. It was sited right next to a stream so lots of insects and flies. Many store holders were waving their hands as flies landed on the food. This can never be a good thing can it? Is there no food standard they need to follow? Why can't they put a few items out for display and place the food goods in some kind of cool closed storage and sell that. People were looking and I'm sure we were all thinking the same. I ain't buying that. I see this sort of thing often and it puzzles me
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
We never buy either it can’t be a good idea eating it after it lays in sun and flies all day !
Quite possibly the unsold stock goes out in the open for a second day too by which point really would you want it!
reminds me of buffets in hotels ....
Surely all the meat has to be refrigerated.
joesmum2 m ago

reminds me of buffets in hotels ....

Yeah but 2 hours it's out. Then taken away.
Id report it to the local environmental health. They still need to be hygienic as you are selling to the public.
Theres potential to kill someone.
Having a quick google they still have to be compliant with food hygiene law.

Food standards
adhkarzf1 h, 10 m ago

Quite possibly the unsold stock goes out in the open for a second day too …Quite possibly the unsold stock goes out in the open for a second day too by which point really would you want it!

Quite possible it doesn't, too.
How did we cope 100+ years ago?
With the exception of the cheese, what would you not be cooking anyway?
If you don’t put the loo seat down, do you focus on your toothbrush getting splattered by ones and twos?
The only things I buy from farmers markets are vegetables and fruit, I've seen cooked pies and fresh meat not on the same tray but in very close proximity and all open to the elements. That's not right so I wouldn't buy it.
Oneday779 h, 37 m ago

How did we cope 100+ years ago?With the exception of the cheese, what …How did we cope 100+ years ago?With the exception of the cheese, what would you not be cooking anyway?If you don’t put the loo seat down, do you focus on your toothbrush getting splattered by ones and twos?

100 years ago most died young. House flies transmit a wide range of diseases including salmonella, dysentery, tuberculosis, cholera and parasitic worms. Taken from here They land on doo do and then on food. Think we have good sanitation in the UK
Edited by: "wayners" 10th Jun
Not just Farmers markets but many summer events across the UK.

There are some horror stories that happen every year where people get really sick.

Hog roasts are quite bad but very tasty.

I would say use your own judgement on the day.
Having finally set up a food business from home and got my rating. I can tell u if that's the case they aren't following any guidelines and procedures maybe they have done the courses and are just not bothered. But they can't sell items like that maybe it's just a display. I was contemplating putting on a a stall on a farmers market to get my products known.if they are selling just cooked food very least it needs to be kept in a hot holding or cooled down and kept in some kind of a cooler that's if they don't need touch the items for packing etc. If they are packing it there say froma bigger tray into little ones then they will need hot water for washing hands etc. There's alot of other things they will need to do ask the market management team or contact the local trading standards if u think it's a potential problem to local people's health.
The problem is that the British way is to just moan about things to themselves (or to a discussion forum) instead of the organisers of such an event or the FSA
Why bother it's more expensive I've found than a local supermarket.
MadeDixonsCry10th Jun

The problem is that the British way is to just moan about things to …The problem is that the British way is to just moan about things to themselves (or to a discussion forum) instead of the organisers of such an event or the FSA

I am pretty certain the FSA receives complaints. It's a human characteristic to let others take the official route when something's wrong, no need to denigrate the British.
davewave49 m ago

I am pretty certain the FSA receives complaints. It's a human …I am pretty certain the FSA receives complaints. It's a human characteristic to let others take the official route when something's wrong, no need to denigrate the British.

express.co.uk/new…und

dailystar.co.uk/new…ach

metro.co.uk/201…57/

And so on and so forth. It's a British thing.
MadeDixonsCry5 h, 10 m ago

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/644427/complaining-tips-refundhttps://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/415315/british-nation-moaners-people-complain-more-than-70-times-week-eachhttps://metro.co.uk/2014/04/11/10-things-were-far-too-british-to-complain-about-4694857/And so on and so forth. It's a British thing.

The BBC alone receives about 250,000 complaints per year!

Link

The British make official complaints to a range of organisations and watchdogs just like any other nationality.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants