Fast charging standards and how we can benefit from them

EDITOR 41
Posted 15th Jan
I thought a discussion about fast charging would be handy and could help those who are looking for a more convenient charging process. Having so many different charging standards makes it so confusing, and, unfortunately, only a few are compatible with others. Various hardware manufacturers use different versions of the standards.
To help eliminate the confusion , I did a bit of research and will go through them one-by-one, explaining what each technology's strengths and weaknesses are.

Most smartphones take around 2 hours to fully charge and I am sure everyone wants a full charge within the shortest possible time. If the phone is complying with any of the fast-charging standards, you can achieve a full charge in much less time.

If you would like to benefit from fast-charging, you will need three components:
1. A fast-charging compatible device
2. A cable which can safely deliver higher power
3. A fast-charging compatible adapter

Safety is always a key factor, and all fast-charging technologies have been designed with safety in mind.
Fast charging is becoming increasingly available for more and more devices, and if you don't have a fast charger included with the device in the original box, it doesn't necessarily mean that your device doesn't support fast charging. The iPhone XR and the Xiaomi Note 8 are a couple examples of such devices.

3388263.jpg
When we select a cable for fast charging it's also recommended to think about safety. That cable needs to transfer a higher amount of current, and a cheap, low-quality cable most likely won't deliver current at a sufficient rate or could even damage your phone. You have to depend on the maximum power output of USB charging cables and their charging standards.
The original cable which comes with the phone is most likely a lower standard cable, and I am afraid that it will be necessary to buy a higher standard cable if you would like to safely deliver a higher amount of power to your device.
Every cable is based on USB (Universal Serial Bus) technology, and the following lists the maximum electrical power they can deliver: 3388263.jpgI would carefully select the proper cable, especially when the smartphone and charger both supports Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 because a cable with only a 10 Ohm resistor could burn your device due to supplying more power than it can take. USB-C cables should have a 56k ohm resistor that allows the device and the charger to work out the proper power level for both ends.

3388263.jpgMediatek's Pump Express+ is based on Qualcomm's QC standard; therefore, it is compatible with QC and can be used on smart devices that have MediaTek processors.
MediaTek Pump Express 4.0 supports the latest USB-C cable standard, with up to 5 Amps of current and is compatible with the USB PD 3.0 standard, allowing standard USB PD 3.0 fast chargers to fast charge Pump Express 4.0-enabled smartphones.
Most cables are designed for transferring 3A or less so make sure your cable is rated at 5A if you would like to use this fast charge standard.
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpgHuawei had to develop its fast charging standard as well to support those smart devices which have Huawei's Kirin processors built-in.
Supercharge is compatible with the USB PD and Quick Charge, thanks to the smart charge protocol, which selects the right charging mode for the connected charging adapter.
Supercharge 2 is the latest version and can output 40W (10V/4A)
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpgSamsung’s Adaptive Charging standard is compatible with QC 2.0.
If your Samsung device* supports their Adaptive Charging standard and you have a Quick Charge 2.0 (or later ) compatible charger or power bank, then you can charge your device faster. To use the built-in fast charging feature you need to enable it in the settings.
*Adaptive Fast Charging is available on Galaxy Note10, Note10+, Fold, S10e, S10, S10+, Note9, S9, S9+, Note8, S8, S8+, S7, S7 edge, Note5, S6, S6+ and S6 edge. Fast charging cables and plugs are provided in the box for these devices.
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpgMotorola has its version of the fast charging system that is based on the Quick Charge 2.0 standard. It works best with their smartphones, but other devices that support QC 2.0 can benefit from it as well. Turbopower achieves faster charging speed with optimizing software and hardware and they currently claim it can deliver the largest amount of power within 15min.
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpgThis is the most popular fast charging standard introduced by Qualcomm, and is limited to Snapdragon processors. Not every single Snapdragon device has QC support built-in; the manufacturers determine if they implement it or not. There are already 4 versions, and the latest one is compatible with the Power Delivery standard (USB-C only). All QC versions are backwards compatible.
The list of supported devices can be found here.
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpgUSB-PD is a new fast charge standard that was introduced by the USB Implementers Forum, and it can charge up to 100 W via a USB Type-C connector.
Apple introduced USB PD with iOS in 2015. Laptops, monitors and other devices can support PD.
The greatest advantage of this standard is independency. Any manufacturer can use it, but it is limited to the USB-C connector.
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpg2017 was the year when Apple started to use a fast-charging standard called Power Delivery (PD). If you have an iPhone 8 or later model, you can fast charge your smartphone to 50% in 30 min.
Apple finally decided to give its customers some extra freebies, and included the USB C to Lightning Cable with an 18W USB C Power Adapter for the iPhone 11 Pro or Pro Max so that customers could fast charge their phones straight out of the box.
Unfortunately, the fast-charger is not included in the box for the rest of the iPhones by default so, if you would like to fast charge your iPhone I'm afraid you will need to buy a USB-PD compatible charger and an original Lightning to USB-C cable from Apple. Any Apple-certified - MFI - cable can be used, but a cable that is not certified will most likely not work and could damage your device.
The following phones support fast-charging:
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X
iPhone XS
iPhone XS Max
iPhone XR
iPhone 11
iPhone 11 Pro*
iPhone 11 Pro Max*
*fast charger and cable are included
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpg
Oppo has introduced something completely new and different to the market: the VOOC -(Voltage Open Loop Multi-step Constant-Current Charging.)
A new way of increasing the charging speed was created by connecting two battery cells in serial, called a bi-cell battery and maximizes the possible charging power.
It was introduced in 2014, and called VOOC Flash Charge. It can output 25W.
Super VOOC is the latest version of this new fast charging technology and can output 50W resulting in a fully charged phone in 35 min.
It is available on phones such as:
OPPO R17 Pro
OPPO Find X
OPPO Find X Automobili Lamborghini Edition
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpgThese fast charge standards are the fastest. However, they are not compatible with any of the other standards. For instance, with your Oppo or OnePlus charger, you won't be able to fast charge your power bank, and most likely your power bank won't be able to fast charge your OnePlus device even if it has a Qualcomm SOC built-in. The power bank needs to be Dash charge compatible to do so and unfortunately the majority of power banks only support QC or PD.
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpgThis is a fast charging system which isn't built into a smart device. It is a technology built into a charger or power bank exclusively from Anker to identify if your device supports any fast charge
standards and charge your device in the fastest possible way. Charging speed varies from 5V/1A - 5W, 5V/2.4A - 12W, 5V/2A - 10W, 9V/2A - 18W , and 12V/1.5A -18W. (Power IQ 1.0 can output maximum 12W and PowerIQ 2.0 is capable of 24W) It is basically like Quick Charge 2.0
The PowerIQ 3.0 smart charging chip works with Apple, Samsung or Kindle and can output up to 100W.

Charging a Pixel 3xl with different fast charging standards:
3388263.jpg

3388263.jpgIf you would like to charge your device wirelessly, you will need a compatible device which can be charged wirelessly and a Qi-compatible wireless charging pad. Charging pads are different and some of them can transfer higher current. Those can fast charge your device, but you will need a fast charging adapter to supply more power to the wireless charging pad. For instance, Pump Express Wireless is available on MediaTek-powered smartphones which supports Qi wireless charging up to 15W.
So, fast charging a phone wirelessly is possible but you need that equipment. Xiaomi has already phone on the market supporting 20W fast wireless charging like the Mi 9.

3388263.jpgPower bank is getting very popular nowadays as more and more people realise it’s a convenient way to recharge their batteries on the move. A power bank just like an adapter, can be slow or fast depending on what fast charging standards are supported if any are supported at all. If the power bank doesn't support fast charge standards or the standard is not compatible with the device, it will take a long to recharge the battery.
It’s also worth considering how fast we can recharge the power bank itself. For instance, recharging a 20,000 mAh power bank could easily take 10 hours or more. However, if that supports Power Delivery - 18W input, for example, then with an 18W PD adapter, we can fully recharge it in about 6 hours. So, a two-way fast charge support is always a welcomed feature on a power bank.
Another great feature on a power bank is the low current mode. When you select this mode the power bank won’t stop the charging process even if the connected device needs low current such as a Bluetooth wireless earphone or a fitness band.

3388263.jpgIf you have any experience with fast charging please share it and that could help others too.
Community Updates
Megathread

Groups

Top comments
sisqoboy215/01/2020 09:25

@MrSwitch, please feel free to add any useful information to this if you …@MrSwitch, please feel free to add any useful information to this if you have some!

Wow some effort there, cheers sisqo.

Only thing I will say is, buying a grey import and receiving a two pin plug with an adapter, never use that adapter, as they haven't been tested to BS, either buy an suitable adapter, or one of the above, which is probably safer.

Make sure you research best adapters first, as they are In themselves a minefield.
Edited by: "MrSwitch" 17th Jan
41 Comments
@MrSwitch, please feel free to add any useful information to this if you have some!
sisqoboy215/01/2020 09:25

@MrSwitch, please feel free to add any useful information to this if you …@MrSwitch, please feel free to add any useful information to this if you have some!

Wow some effort there, cheers sisqo.

Only thing I will say is, buying a grey import and receiving a two pin plug with an adapter, never use that adapter, as they haven't been tested to BS, either buy an suitable adapter, or one of the above, which is probably safer.

Make sure you research best adapters first, as they are In themselves a minefield.
Edited by: "MrSwitch" 17th Jan
Has s10 5G got adaptive fast charging ?
abdul515/01/2020 09:58

Most likely yes.
MrSwitch15/01/2020 09:40

Wow some effort there, cheers sisqo. Only thing I will say is, buying a …Wow some effort there, cheers sisqo. Only thing I will say is, buying a grey import and receiving a two pin plug with an adapter, never use that adapter, as they haven't been tested, either buy an suitable adapter, or one of the above, which is probably safer. Make sure you research best adapters first, as they are In themselves a minefield.

Thanks mate, I agree and just experienced that.There are very cheaply and badly made adapters on the market and I would definitely go for a better know brand. Cable, adapter or power bank whatever we need...
sisqoboy215/01/2020 10:13

Thanks mate, I agree and just experienced that.There are very cheaply and …Thanks mate, I agree and just experienced that.There are very cheaply and badly made adapters on the market and I would definitely go for a better know brand. Cable, adapter or power bank whatever we need...

Thing is, all the best converter aren't exactly cheap, so you mihht as well go for an either OG plug, or one of the more named brands, following your advice above of course
Plenty of detail, but what perhaps needs including (gap filling) is "draw " from car batteries, higher draw items are the increasing norm, as is plugging in high draw devices for vehicles, ..which are hopefully on the move having upped voltage from sleep state (of maybe 10.5v) to engine running 13.5v having got over the cranking stage.
Neighbours car experienced this the other day, kit with a high draw was connected & cold (meh) weather plus a few extra static days (5 total).
So your mobile *car* battery source has got to have a good state of charge itself, before you plug in kit, ..just worth pointing out, in connection to the opening gambit of "what you need.

Cannot presume everyone monitors/ maintains car batteries, yet multi loading of usb sockets with high draw devices needs consideration beyond the mains charger, esp before the car is cranked, most are guilty of plug in & driving straight off, whilst idling engines by design is often no longer necessary (esp with good oils that cling to components longer & better fuel) ..but a battery (old design still in use) ..still needs recovery time having expended energy to successfully turn an engine over.

Just a thought.
@deeky

[ hotukdeals.com/com…604 ]

"Can't we have a 'Consumer guide' section for these information threads? There seems to be more and more of them appearing of late."
Thanks. Very informative.
Lots of useful information, I didn't realise PowerIQ 3.0 was as fast as QC/PD and compatible with them.

A pity they don't currently do a desktop device with 5 * Power IQ 3.0 ports
Edited by: "Gormond" 15th Jan
Am sure all AliExpress fast chargers complies with nothing but the best and highest genuine imitation standard .
Gormond15/01/2020 13:15

Lots of useful information, I didn't realise PowerIQ 3.0 was as fast as …Lots of useful information, I didn't realise PowerIQ 3.0 was as fast as QC/PD and compatible with them.A pity they don't currently do a desktop device with 5 * Power IQ 3.0 ports

Oh yes,, I was kinda surprised as well when I looked into that. Back in time I just said oh yeah, Anker IQ fine, but I need QC 3 or higher....
dezbo888816/01/2020 01:15

Am sure all AliExpress fast chargers complies with nothing but the best …Am sure all AliExpress fast chargers complies with nothing but the best and highest genuine imitation standard .

There are plenty good adapters out there. Just to name some I have seen and proved for me: Anker, Ugreen, Aukey and of course Xiaomi... I am pretty sure there are more there and having some more feedback / experience will help us to go for a reliable one.
Thanks. Really useful information. I've recently lost my p30 USB cable, though I think my brother took it :/ . Need to buy one as I really miss the super charging.
abdul515/01/2020 09:58

Yes it has
Never buy chargers from none official mobile shops.. They all buy cheap stuff from china... Which sometimes blows up.. 80% of their shops have fake items..
Quite a bit of effort that would have taken a bit of research to gather.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 17th Jan
How is it my 1983 Casio calculator works from the sun but my £1000 iPhone does not ??? At least have removable batteries so I can carry a spare ! Don’t know anyone who can make an iPhone last a day ! I’m tempted to go back to my Nokia 5110 and just not speak or message anyone
pleaseenterausername17/01/2020 12:02

How is it my 1983 Casio calculator works from the sun but my £1000 iPhone …How is it my 1983 Casio calculator works from the sun but my £1000 iPhone does not ??? At least have removable batteries so I can carry a spare ! Don’t know anyone who can make an iPhone last a day ! I’m tempted to go back to my Nokia 5110 and just not speak or message anyone

Oh, yes. Great example is there! We definitely should have little solar panels around the display!
Has anyone found a third party charger, mains or car, that can supercharge a P20 Pro?
What a brilliant and informative post that clearly took some time to put together. I for one, sincerely thank you. Have some Heat
"Supercharge is compatible with the USB PD and Quick Charge," I have a supercharge2 (40w) charger but it's not compatible with an anker powerbank that supports 18W PD. On digging further i've read that Hauwei chargers are only compatible with Hauwei devices which kinda makes the USB PD/QC compatibility comments moot.
I wanted to be able to run my Hauwei phone + a powerbank from the same charger to save weight whilst hiking but it seems the only option is to buy a huawei powerbank.
Hi this is a great thread and I hope you could help me as I get confused with all the different options of wireless charging pads.

I would like an Anker wireless pad or something as good for my iPhone 11 Pro. Are there any recommendations? My wife's Rav wireless charger does not work my one for some reason. She has an iPhone XS.

Thanks in advance
This is fantastic. Thank you.
I wish the guide did explain how to get a proper USB cable etc. -- thanks for the info
Super Vooc flash charge all the way on my realme x2 pro, funny know what other manufacturers are doing, doesn't matter if phone doesn't go a full day with heavy use if recharge is so quick
Thanks for the information,
I have a rx17 pro the super VOC is awesome!
Edited by: "greens117" 17th Jan
C_Q17/01/2020 12:42

"Supercharge is compatible with the USB PD and Quick Charge," I have a …"Supercharge is compatible with the USB PD and Quick Charge," I have a supercharge2 (40w) charger but it's not compatible with an anker powerbank that supports 18W PD. On digging further i've read that Hauwei chargers are only compatible with Hauwei devices which kinda makes the USB PD/QC compatibility comments moot. I wanted to be able to run my Hauwei phone + a powerbank from the same charger to save weight whilst hiking but it seems the only option is to buy a huawei powerbank.

Agree, this is one of my biggest pain nowadays. Manufacturer limits the compatibility to their products and your situation is a great example. Having a supercharge2 phone means that it can be charged faster with a charger which has Power Delivery or Quick charge compatibility. So, the smartphone will be able to "understand" the charger. Your power bank won't "understand" any of the fast charging standards if that is only capable of one way fast charging as fast charge output. It is confusing I know.
Great info and a good read!
pleaseenterausername17/01/2020 12:02

How is it my 1983 Casio calculator works from the sun but my £1000 iPhone …How is it my 1983 Casio calculator works from the sun but my £1000 iPhone does not ??? At least have removable batteries so I can carry a spare ! Don’t know anyone who can make an iPhone last a day ! I’m tempted to go back to my Nokia 5110 and just not speak or message anyone

I make my work Iphone XR last 2-3 days - to max out simple stuff really - turn down brightness / disable bluetooth/location except when need to use /data off when possible/leave on WiFi at work.

Heavy use = quicker battery drain.....
Great info anything on Wireless charging and heat - anyone found one that doesn't heat the battery up like a microwave - even Apple latest iOS limits wireless charging to 5W even though chargers capable of more.

WResearchers claim Apple restricts wireless charger speeds in iOS 13.1. The blog ChargerLab claims to have found that wsome wireless chargers are being restricted to 5 watts (W) of power while iPhones are placed on them with the new iOS update,
pavsingh:
Hi this is a great thread and I hope you could help me as I get confused with all the different options of wireless charging pads.

I would like an Anker wireless pad or something as good for my iPhone 11 Pro. Are there any recommendations? My wife's Rav wireless charger does not work my one for some reason. She has an iPhone XS.

Thanks in advance

Hi thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately, I never used any iPhone before so, I don't really have experience on that. I'm an Android Snapdragon guy Hopefully someone else will have some advice for you. To my best knowledge if that wireless charger works for xs then It should work for 11 Pro too. Just having a quick search and there are problems with wireless charging vs iphone 11… 😞
Edited by: "sisqoboy2" 17th Jan
so whats the cheapest fast charger , PD
Great article. Thanks
Thanks for taking the time to write and post this. Very helpful indeed!
Than you. We all need this knowledge. Very helpful
Great post. Can't get my Samsung S5 Neo to charge any faster it's so slow.
If you have a Note 10+. You already have the fastest charger for it. Don't bother with these.
The figures in the "Charging Cable" section are incorrect. For example, USB 2.0 and 3.0 both support 7.5W (1.5A at 5V) for dedicated charging ports.
edanfalls18/01/2020 23:55

The figures in the "Charging Cable" section are incorrect. For example, …The figures in the "Charging Cable" section are incorrect. For example, USB 2.0 and 3.0 both support 7.5W (1.5A at 5V) for dedicated charging ports.

And plenty of chargers will do 12w (5v 2.4A) out a USB 2.0 port/cable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions