Faster speeds on your BT Broadband account (ADSL2+). UPDATED INFO FOR YOUR AREA

UPDATE: SEE POST 8 ~

My exchange is now active and I'm phoning tomorrow to activate it on my account. According to my distance from exchange I should expect about 18Mbps of the potential 24Mbps.

33 Comments

Home Hub 1, 1.5 and 2 all ok for ADSL2+ my exchange has been WBC for ages but it's only wholesale resellers that offer it at the moment.

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;4965378

Home Hub 1, 1.5 and 2 all ok for ADSL2+ my exchange has been WBC for ages … Home Hub 1, 1.5 and 2 all ok for ADSL2+ my exchange has been WBC for ages but it's only wholesale resellers that offer it at the moment.

When I renewed my BT BB a couple of months I only did so with the promise that my account would be upgraded when ADSL2+ came to my exchange this month. Just phoned them and was told I need to get it activated with the relevant BT dept when they open tomorrow. They've given me a number to call.

Liddle ol' me;4965407

When I renewed my BT BB a couple of months I only did so with the promise … When I renewed my BT BB a couple of months I only did so with the promise that my account would be upgraded when ADSL2+ came to my exchange this month. Just phoned them and was told I need to get it activated with the relevant BT dept when they open tomorrow. They've given me a number to call.

Let me know how you get on, what you synching at at the moment? and whats your line attenuation?

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;4965451

Let me know how you get on, what you synching at at the moment? and … Let me know how you get on, what you synching at at the moment? and whats your line attenuation?

Will do - and I'll answer those questions as a 'before and after' tomorrow. Couldn't be bothered checking now :roll:

Here's a calculator that can give you a more accurate picture of what ADSL 2+ speeds you'll get based on your current connection stats: farina1.com/ads…spx

Sadly, my exchange has neither WBC or O2/Be* or any enablement date so I shan't be getting 1.8MB/s any time soon.

Original Poster

My current info from BT HH
Downstream 8,128 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
Noise margin (Down/Up) 11.8 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 19.0 dB / 10.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm

edit: and using EndlessWaves' link, my expected adsl2+ could be up to 21752Kbps

Original Poster

Update: After talking with BT again, if you are an existing customer you will get the upgraded ADSL2+ speeds for free on your account as soon as your exchange has been upabled AND as long as you register here:

broadband.bt.com/sup…spx

You just need to enter your BT broadband email address and postcode and the rest will be done automatically.

You can check if your exchange is enabled here (if it says BT Wholesale WBC (21CN) then it has been) - thanks Paddy for clarifying that

samknows.com/bro…php

If it isn't enabled yet, follow this link to check the date your exchange will be upgraded:

adsl24.co.uk/net…st/

nice. my exchange is enabled. i wonder if its only BT who will offer me faster BB as there isnt any LLU there.

Original Poster

shanecr;4968323

nice. my exchange is enabled. i wonder if its only BT who will offer me … nice. my exchange is enabled. i wonder if its only BT who will offer me faster BB as there isnt any LLU there.

Don't know, but I can tell you that I'm paying BT about £13 a month for their option 3 on a 12 month contract - got this price from upgrading. It came with the Homehub 2.0 and phone and unlimited downloads - and I've had no throttling. Have been happy with them on 8MB but it was the promise of this ADSL2+ that swung the deal for me. Will let you know when it kicks in now that I've registered. I'm hoping by tomorrow...

Liddle ol' me;4968362

Don't know, but I can tell you that I'm paying BT about £13 a month for … Don't know, but I can tell you that I'm paying BT about £13 a month for their option 3 on a 12 month contract - got this price from upgrading. It came with the Homehub 2.0 and phone and unlimited downloads - and I've had no throttling. Have been happy with them on 8MB but it was the promise of this ADSL2+ that swung the deal for me. Will let you know when it kicks in now that I've registered. I'm hoping by tomorrow...

im with orange, been fairly happen. 8mb for 12.99 unlimited though ibviously blooming fair use applies. BT will cost me £24 for option 3 but there is no fair use on their unlimited, that with up to 20mb is worth the extra for me! I noted my interest on that link you gave. will get the Mrs to phone em on monday too.
Can the phone on the hub be used as a normal handset?

Liddle ol' me;4968233

Update: After talking with BT again, if you are an existing customer you … Update: After talking with BT again, if you are an existing customer you will get the upgraded ADSL2+ speeds for free on your account as soon as your exchange has been upabled AND as long as you register here:http://www.broadband.bt.com/superfastbroadband/Default.aspxYou just need to enter your BT broadband email address and postcode and the rest will be done automatically. You can check if your exchange is enabled here (if it says 'broadband max' then it has been)http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.phpIf it isn't enabled yet, follow this link to check the date your exchange will be upgraded:http://adsl24.co.uk/networkstatus/wbc/list/

If your exchnage is ony down as max, your not ready for 20Meg, your exchnage needs to be WBC enabled (wholesale broadband connect). Max is the rate adaptive upto 8 meg circuit.

Liddle ol' me;4968362

Don't know, but I can tell you that I'm paying BT about £13 a month for … Don't know, but I can tell you that I'm paying BT about £13 a month for their option 3 on a 12 month contract - got this price from upgrading. It came with the Homehub 2.0 and phone and unlimited downloads - and I've had no throttling. Have been happy with them on 8MB but it was the promise of this ADSL2+ that swung the deal for me. Will let you know when it kicks in now that I've registered. I'm hoping by tomorrow...

It won't kick in striaght away, even if your exchnage is WBC enabled. The equipment in the exchnage will need to be rejumpered, so a job will need raising for that job to be completed.

Original Poster

shanecr;4968390

im with orange, been fairly happen. 8mb for 12.99 unlimited though … im with orange, been fairly happen. 8mb for 12.99 unlimited though ibviously blooming fair use applies. BT will cost me £24 for option 3 but there is no fair use on their unlimited, that with up to 20mb is worth the extra for me! I noted my interest on that link you gave. will get the Mrs to phone em on monday too. Can the phone on the hub be used as a normal handset?

Sorry, we had no need for the phone so can't tell you about it. Sold it here BNIB for £20 though, so that's always an option to you.

I'm surprised at that price though. You still should be able to get it cheaper than £24 a month. Ah, just checked - yes, for a 12 month contract you'll get £18.59 for first 3 months and £30 cashback so works out at £20.49 per month. Not bad. Or about £18.50 a month if you sell the phone

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;4968452

It won't kick in striaght away, even if your exchnage is WBC enabled. The … It won't kick in striaght away, even if your exchnage is WBC enabled. The equipment in the exchnage will need to be rejumpered, so a job will need raising for that job to be completed.

Ok, thanks. Good to know. I'll update here when they get it done and check with them again next week if nothing happen in the meantime.

Paddy_o_furniture;4968438

If your exchnage is ony down as max, your not ready for 20Meg, your … If your exchnage is ony down as max, your not ready for 20Meg, your exchnage needs to be WBC enabled (wholesale broadband connect). Max is the rate adaptive upto 8 meg circuit.

ah. in that case, after checking, i can probably forget about anything quicker for quite some time.

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;4968438

If your exchnage is ony down as max, your not ready for 20Meg, your … If your exchnage is ony down as max, your not ready for 20Meg, your exchnage needs to be WBC enabled (wholesale broadband connect). Max is the rate adaptive upto 8 meg circuit.

Sorry I missed this. Thanks - I'll edit my original post :thumbsup: (and yes, my BT Wholesale WBC (21CN) is showing as enabled)

Liddle ol' me;4968574

Sorry I missed this. Thanks - I'll edit my original post :thumbsup: (and … Sorry I missed this. Thanks - I'll edit my original post :thumbsup: (and yes, my BT Wholesale WBC (21CN) is showing as enabled)

I ain't a geek just so you know, tis my job

Original Poster

shanecr;4968554

ah. in that case, after checking, i can probably forget about anything … ah. in that case, after checking, i can probably forget about anything quicker for quite some time.

Apols for my duff info - glad paddy put us straight :oops:

Have you checked the other link which tells the date your exchange will be upgraded?

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;4968583

I ain't a geek just so you know, tis my job

I guessed it might have been. Hey, but don't be geekist!

Liddle ol' me;4968586

Apols for my duff info - glad paddy put us straight :oops:Have you … Apols for my duff info - glad paddy put us straight :oops:Have you checked the other link which tells the date your exchange will be upgraded?

'no date given'

Original Poster

shanecr;4968681

'no date given'

Ok, bummer.

Liddle ol' me;4968770

Ok, bummer.

yeah. i really want to change, but im not going to get any faster or cheaper so no point i guess

Liddle ol' me;4968233

Update: After talking with BT again, if you are an existing customer you … Update: After talking with BT again, if you are an existing customer you will get the upgraded ADSL2+ speeds for free on your account as soon as your exchange has been upabled AND as long as you register here:http://www.broadband.bt.com/superfastbroadband/Default.aspxYou just need to enter your BT broadband email address and postcode and the rest will be done automatically.

I can't see why you register on that link, any help?

Thanks

Liddle ol' me;4968233

Update: You can check if your exchange is enabled here (if it says BT … Update: You can check if your exchange is enabled here (if it says BT Wholesale WBC (21CN) then it has been) - thanks Paddy for clarifying thathttp://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.phpIf it isn't enabled yet, follow this link to check the date your exchange will be upgraded:http://adsl24.co.uk/networkstatus/wbc/list/

That first link does not have that WBC (21CN) thing on it, but when I check the second link to see when it is coming, it says it is already live?

ajwposh;4968839

I can't see why you register on that link, any help?Thanks

Looks like it is the box on the right of the page.

Thats what I thought but that sounds more like your just signing up to get notifcations about it.

Original Poster

ajwposh;4968839

I can't see why you register on that link, any help?Thanks

spic;4968884

Looks like it is the box on the right of the page.

ajwposh;4968896

Thats what I thought but that sounds more like your just signing up to … Thats what I thought but that sounds more like your just signing up to get notifcations about it.

spic;4968873

That first link does not have that WBC (21CN) thing on it, but when I … That first link does not have that WBC (21CN) thing on it, but when I check the second link to see when it is coming, it says it is already live?

The BT person I talked too said that it was those details that equated to registering, although it looked odd to me too.

Not sure about the difference between the info on the two links - perhaps Paddy can tell us?

Liddle ol' me;4968233

You can check if your exchange is enabled here (if it says BT Wholesale … You can check if your exchange is enabled here (if it says BT Wholesale WBC (21CN) then it has been) - thanks Paddy for clarifying thathttp://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.phpIf it isn't enabled yet, follow this link to check the date your exchange will be upgraded:http://adsl24.co.uk/networkstatus/wbc/list/

I prefer to use the SamKnows ]exchange search as it tells you both if you're WBC enabled now and will list any date given as well on the same page. It also tells you which LLU providers have installed their equipment in your local exchange and any dates for them so you can check whether you can get ADSL2+ from O2/Be* instead.

ADSL is the fixed speed 512kbit/1mbit/2mbit connections, ADSLMax is the rate adaptive up to 8mbit connection and WBC is Wholesale Broadband Connection, the new ADSL2+ rate adaptive up to 24mpbs connections.

The WBC rollout is supposed to be completed nationwide by 2012.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;4969774

I prefer to use the SamKnows ]exchange search as it tells you both if … I prefer to use the SamKnows ]exchange search as it tells you both if you're WBC enabled now and will list any date given as well on the same page. It also tells you which LLU providers have installed their equipment in your local exchange and any dates for them so you can check whether you can get ADSL2+ from O2/Be* instead.

Yep, that gives much more detail, thanks. BT are my only option for ADSL2+ according to it.

I wouldn't mind ~18 Mbps, it's not going to happen though 'cause I'll see little benefit when / if my exchange is upgraded (2012?) as I'm too far out.

I seen that coming though that's why I have more than one ADSL enabled line.

Oh Entanet also offer up to 24 Mbps through BT's network but I doubt you'd be interested in their packages.

Original Poster

abomination;4969888

I wouldn't mind ~18 Mbps, it's not going to happen though 'cause I'll see … I wouldn't mind ~18 Mbps, it's not going to happen though 'cause I'll see little benefit when / if my exchange is upgraded (2012?) as I'm too far out.I seen that coming though that's why I have more than one ADSL enabled line. :)Oh Entanet also offer up to 24 Mbps through BT's network but I doubt you'd be interested in their packages.

Nice to see you again abomination Yep, I'm lucky as out exchange is literally at the end of the street. Do entranet sell business packages rather than to individual consumers?

The likes of UKFSN, Aquiss and ADSL24 resell Enta's services, all have similar packages and pricing. I'd stick with BT though if you can still download freely without being throttled on ADSL2+.

Other ISPs are trialing ADSL2+ (through BT), competition can only be a good thing.

dcx_badass;4970949

I get this on my talk talk:Downstream Rate: 18228 Kbps Upstream Rate: … I get this on my talk talk:Downstream Rate: 18228 Kbps Upstream Rate: 1019 Kbps We've had ADSL2+ for around 4 months now.

I didn't realise TalkTalk were offering it now, is their traffic shaping still in place?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Stop everything, Nutella is bringing a biscuit snack to the market - Metro1312
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763948
    3. What an absolute disgrace2150
    4. GOT Leaks again416

See more discussions