Groups
    EXPIRED

Fastest way to get a full uk driving license?

Already have the provisional licence.

How long would it take if you dedicate your full time on learning the theory and practical.

Also I seen some places offering intensive 5 day courses followed by the driving test but am skeptical if it's possible to learn it that quickly.

45 Comments

How long is a piece of string?

The time taken to learn to drive is really down to the ability of the learner, and the competence of the ADI.

Oh and BTW, you do not have a Provisional License, you have a Provisional Licence.

whatsThePoint

only takes a hour to learn how to drive a car, takes a lot longer to get … only takes a hour to learn how to drive a car, takes a lot longer to get any road sense

Nailed it.

Original Poster

Can you take the practical test without any lessons?

Any tips on how to study for the theory test?

It depends solely on your ability and the quality of your tuition. I passed my test after 32 hours of lessons. My wife passed after 28 hours of lessons. I'm clearly a better driver so not sure how this happened It takes some people 10 hours, it takes some 100 hours and numerous attempts. Hardly an exact answer but driving is about ability, perception and intuitiveness which people have in differing amounts.

pcangeldust

Can you take the practical test without any lessons?Any tips on how to … Can you take the practical test without any lessons?Any tips on how to study for the theory test?

I think this would be a waste of money as it's unlikely that you'll pass with absolutely no tuition.. Also, you really need expert tuition or you'll probably end up either causing or being in an accident. You really shouldn't just 'wing it' as you'll be driving what is effectively a vehicle capable of killing someone.

pcangeldust

Can you take the practical test without any lessons?Any tips on how to … Can you take the practical test without any lessons?Any tips on how to study for the theory test?

You can, but the examiner can terminate the test at any stage in the interests of public safety.

Inactive

You can, but the examiner can terminate the test at any stage in the … You can, but the examiner can terminate the test at any stage in the interests of public safety.

and leave the car where he/she stops it and make you walk back to the test centre because he/she isn't insured to drive it.

Op... try the "Rashid School of Motoring"

£1000 well spent i say, link HERE.

Original Poster

Bully

Op... try the "Rashid School of Motoring"£1000 well spent i say, link … Op... try the "Rashid School of Motoring"£1000 well spent i say, link HERE.

I don't want to end up killing someone.

pcangeldust

I don't want to end up killing someone.

Then take the time to learn properly from a qualified instructor.

I would say between 6-12 months is standard

I passed within 21 or so lessons. Diesels are so easy to drive compared to a petrol.

theory test get an app on your phone its worth paying A FEW £ and just keep practicing as much as you can

I passed my test within 4 months of learning. Had first lesson and booked theory test, passed that and the instructor recommended I booked the practical straight away as they're is often a2 month waiting list. He said that if he felt I wasn't going to be ready a couple of weeks before then he'll let me know so I could rearrange it. I did fall my first test, but I was very unlucky. I managed to book a cancellation slot for 2 weeks later and passed.

I agree with the first post from Whatsthepoint however. It takes a long time to get Road sense! longer than it took me to pass my test.

t0mm

and leave the car where he/she stops it and make you walk back to the … and leave the car where he/she stops it and make you walk back to the test centre because he/she isn't insured to drive it.

You don't walk back to the test centre, the examiner does with the car keys. You wait in the car until your instructor gets back to you.

it's really subjective. my sister did 20h of driving and got her licence within a few months, I took 3 years to get my licence (mostly because I didn't have the time). despite her not being a confident driver at all she passed first time and I didn't (examiner claimed I reversed into a parked car when he was the one to actually hit the brakes about 10" away from the car). now she hasn't touched a car since her test and i've driven about 40-50K miles (in 9 countries) in the last 3 years or so without ever being in an accident.

at the end of the day if you want to drive properly and be prepared you have to drive in every situation possible. a 5 days intensive course will not teach you that, you'll only get certain experiences from driving in a big city and some others driving in the countryside. the more you drive the better for you. the question you should ask yoursef is, if you were someone else, would you trust you to drive them around after a 5 days intensive course?

CouldntThinkOfAUsername

I passed within 21 or so lessons. Diesels are so easy to drive compared … I passed within 21 or so lessons. Diesels are so easy to drive compared to a petrol.

what makes you say that? the only difference is petrol is normally more snappy at lower RPMs where as with a diesel the turbo kicks in at higher rpms.
    Edited by: "andreapedrazzini" 23rd Jul 2013

Banned

Diesels are no easier or harder to drive than petrols.

A car is a car.

dimebars

Diesels are no easier or harder to drive than petrols. A car is a car.

Not completely true, however it shouldn't make a difference if you can drive well. If you are stopped at a round about or something like that (in a diesel) and want to pull away you could do it all on the clutch for a while without the car making any sounds or juddering, whereas a petrol you would generally stall.

Book your theory asap as you'll have to wait awhile for the test unless you get a cancellation, so you can practice for it in the time you're waiting. You won't get taught anything in your driving lessons about the theory test.

I took my theory test the day after I turned 17 (practiced for about 2 weeks beforehand) and then got my driving licence just under 2 months after that. I had two lessons a week so about 16.
    Edited by: "bobjohnson" 23rd Jul 2013

My mother taught me to drive in car parks and quite neighborhoods, I went for two lessons before my practical test. I passed my test first time with no problems. I know people who have passed with even fewer lessons.

I did 4 days of lessons, passed on the Friday. Some people never pass a driving test. How long it takes depends on you ability, not the type of course.

MIDURIX

Not completely true, however it shouldn't make a difference if you can … Not completely true, however it shouldn't make a difference if you can drive well. If you are stopped at a round about or something like that (in a diesel) and want to pull away you could do it all on the clutch for a while without the car making any sounds or juddering, whereas a petrol you would generally stall.

Not if you have decent clutch control which is basically the fundamentals of driving.

The Therapist

You don't walk back to the test centre, the examiner does with the car … You don't walk back to the test centre, the examiner does with the car keys. You wait in the car until your instructor gets back to you.

When the examiner has terminated the test, they have to get back to the test centre. They can not drive the learner car back themselves due to insurance reasons. So you will be given two options.

1. You can wait in the car until the examiner has walked back to the test centre where he will give directions to your instructor to where you are, or,
    2. You can lock the car up and walk back to the test centre with the examiner to meet your instructor.

CouldntThinkOfAUsername

I passed within 21 or so lessons. Diesels are so easy to drive compared … I passed within 21 or so lessons. Diesels are so easy to drive compared to a petrol.

dimebars

Diesels have more torque at low engine speeds hence less risk of stalling. This is why it seems easier to drive, however if you master clutch control skills properly, then it should make no difference what you drive.

J_D

Not if you have decent clutch control which is basically the fundamentals … Not if you have decent clutch control which is basically the fundamentals of driving.

however it shouldn't make a difference if you can drive well

you missed that bit

back in the day, I applied for my test on the first day of my first driving lesson (had a couple with family members before hand) which gave me a 4 week window to get up to passing standard. This was called an intensive course back then but really only involved 4 lessons a week for 4 weeks then your test. Its was quite a good system and I managed to pass in the 4 weeks.

if this is still possible I would recommend it if you dont want to dilly dally although you may struggle if you have never been behind the wheel before.

Good luck in whatever system you choose.

dimebars

I found it slighly easier in a diesel as I found these harder to stall when learning.

Banned

Again, a car is a car regardless of fuel type. One is no more difficult to drive than the other. Unless you can't drive.

MIDURIX

Not completely true, however it shouldn't make a difference if you can … Not completely true, however it shouldn't make a difference if you can drive well. If you are stopped at a round about or something like that (in a diesel) and want to pull away you could do it all on the clutch for a while without the car making any sounds or juddering, whereas a petrol you would generally stall.

never actually tried that on a diesel, I've done that on my car a few times though, doesn't really make any noise tbh. hell if you're good enough in a petrol you'll be able to start up in third gear with no stalling (albeit giving it a little bit of gas)

dimebars

Again, a car is a car regardless of fuel type. One is no more difficult … Again, a car is a car regardless of fuel type. One is no more difficult to drive than the other. Unless you can't drive.

'Unless you can't drive' - Why else would they be paying for driving lessons?

As people have already said, diesel engines are more forgiving with the clutch at low revs which is why most driving instructors' cars are diesels.

Hello I am a qualified adi and former trucker my response to your initial question is anyone can be taught to pass a test but to actually learn to drive takes time something that cannot be fully learned on a 5 day course. The dsa currently reccomend a minimum of 42 hours of tuition.so think carefully before going for the gimmicks and invest in your future safety and not your funeral.

Original Poster

Ok so I got my theory test done two weeks ago, I been wasting too much time.

Time to start preparing for the practical

One thing that has been bugging me, do the test center provide the vehicle you use during the test or do I have to bring my own car?

Edited by: "pcangeldust" 27th Aug 2013

pcangeldust

Ok so I got my theory test done two weeks ago, I been wasting too much … Ok so I got my theory test done two weeks ago, I been wasting too much time.Time to start preparing for the practical :DOne thing that has been bugging me, do the test center provide the vehicle you use during the test or do I have to bring my own car?

Is that a serious question?....oO

Original Poster

Inactive

Is that a serious question?....oO

yes there is no straight answer on their website

it talks about hiring a car or bringing your own
    Edited by: "pcangeldust" 27th Aug 2013

pcangeldust

yes there is no straight answer on their websiteit talks about hiring a … yes there is no straight answer on their websiteit talks about hiring a car or bringing your own

Well it is highly unlikely that anybody will hire a car to a learner driver ( it must have dual controls fitted )

So the other option is to use your own or that of your ADI.

Banned

How in gods name did you pass the theory test?

I do not want you on the road, for the safety of everyone else.

Banned

Inb4

I got £100 ticket for driving in the middle lane at 40mph

Or

What are the wee mirrors on my doors for

Original Poster

What is your problem?

I read their website and they do not mention anything about providing the car for the test.

They only say you can use your own car or a hire car if it meets their requirements.

SO DO THEY PROVIDE A CAR OR NOT?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 10% Argos code with glitch11
      2. Anyone got a spare Argos 10% code from the Xbox Minecraft mistake?55
      3. Input Lag v Refresh rate on a TV..46
      4. Safest type of external hard drive?11

See more discussions