Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn | Society | The Guardian

Found 20th May
Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn | Society | The Guardian.

theguardian.com/soc…tes

It's worth keeping an eye on this?.
Community Updates
MiscHealth Care
Top comments
deleted396333
amour3k7 m ago

Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn | Society | The …Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn | Society | The Guardian.https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/20/fasting-diets-raise-risk-of-diabetes

Wait long enough and researchers will find that everything will kill you.
Being fat also increases the risk of diabetes.
33 Comments
Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn | Society | The Guardian.

theguardian.com/soc…tes
deleted396333
amour3k7 m ago

Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn | Society | The …Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn | Society | The Guardian.https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/20/fasting-diets-raise-risk-of-diabetes

Wait long enough and researchers will find that everything will kill you.
“MAY”
1. The news article is based on the presentation of an unpublished poster (not peer-reviewed research).

2. There seem to be various methodological flaws in the study.

3. Any conclusions from studying rats are not necessarily applicable to humans.

More details here: sciencemediacentre.org/exp…18/

PS: I’m not advocating for any type of diet as I haven’t researched and do not know whether fasting is beneficial or not. Just that sources need to be checked before making decisions either way.
splender32 m ago

Careful, one needs to reference the specifics, for …Careful, one needs to reference the specifics, for example:-Fasting-mimicking diet promotes Ngn3-driven beta-cell regeneration to reverse diabetesFasting diet 'regenerates diabetic pancreas'I have a friend who got out of Type 2 by crash fasting diet then eating very carefully. He lost a lot of weight, now thin and very healthy. There was a short period during faster for many weeks he looked very pale and shaky.

So he reduced number of calories eaten per day (since that's what fasting is) , lost weight and now is being careful as to what he is eating and he thinks that is the fasting that helped?
psychobitchfromhell58 m ago

Being human or even a mammal could lead to diabetes

Waiting patiently for one scientific expert to tell me fish and insects can also get diabetes

Should one message Prince Charles to ask his plants if they also suffer diabetes?

There is one clear unquestionable fact in all of this - if you breath you will die
mattsk36 m ago

So he reduced number of calories eaten per day (since that's what fasting …So he reduced number of calories eaten per day (since that's what fasting is) , lost weight and now is being careful as to what he is eating and he thinks that is the fasting that helped?

Yes, no more diabetes which he had for many year. I believe you need to be supervised by medics or use a scheme from a medical research university with academic monitoring and supervision of patient outcomes/statistics on evidence based approach.
Edited by: "splender" 20th May
Interesting points you guy's above raised there, may I add?. :-)

Thanx.
philphil6117 m ago

Being human or even a mammal could lead to diabetesWaiting patiently for …Being human or even a mammal could lead to diabetesWaiting patiently for one scientific expert to tell me fish and insects can also get diabetesShould one message Prince Charles to ask his plants if they also suffer diabetes?There is one clear unquestionable fact in all of this - if you breath you will die

Death and taxes as they say
psychobitchfromhell25 m ago

Death and taxes as they say

Well, actually, what they say about death and taxes is this ...

"In life, the ONLY thing's that are guaranteed, are death and taxes" ...

Interestingly enough, it's NOT taxes and death instead? - peculiar that, huh? (I've never thought of it at all before now, but it's weird nonetheless?).

That conundrum aside, I don't think the death and taxes + diabetes thing directly relate? (I could be wrong?).

As diabetes is not guaranteed for everyone - unless you go down certain 'lifestyle routes', etc? (but both death and taxes occur irrespective of what 'options' in life you take ... )

But all with a pinch of figurative salt though, as any lifestyle choice can have it's own unique 'complications' still?.
amour3k7 m ago

Well, actually, what they say about death and taxes is this ..."In life, …Well, actually, what they say about death and taxes is this ..."In life, the ONLY thing's that are guaranteed, are death and taxes" ...Interestingly enough, it's NOT taxes and death instead? - peculiar that, huh? (I've never thought of it at all before now, but it's weird nonetheless?).That conundrum aside, I don't think the death and taxes + diabetes thing directly relate? (I could be wrong?).As diabetes is not guaranteed for everyone - unless you go down certain 'lifestyle routes', etc? (but both death and taxes occur irrespective of what 'options' in life you take ... )But all with a pinch of figurative salt though, as any lifestyle choice can have it's own unique 'complications' still?.

i was answering phil when he said it you breathe you die. I wasn't directly referring to diabetes, although the way the obesity rates are skyrocketing it might only be a matter of time
splender1 h, 36 m ago

Yes, no more diabetes which he had for many year. I believe you need to be …Yes, no more diabetes which he had for many year. I believe you need to be supervised by medics or use a scheme from a medical research university with academic monitoring and supervision of patient outcomes/statistics on evidence based approach.

His diebetes is not cured, it's in remission. Once he gains weight or slips with his food too much it is likely to return (I've seen it many times)
mattsk1 h, 8 m ago

His diebetes is not cured, it's in remission. Once he gains weight or …His diebetes is not cured, it's in remission. Once he gains weight or slips with his food too much it is likely to return (I've seen it many times)

I see what you mean. In a complete remission, all signs and symptoms of cancer have disappeared. If you remain in complete remission for x years (depends on disease type) or more, some doctors may say that you are cured.
kester765 h, 42 m ago

Didn't Jesus dodge both

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I don't exactly see as to how dying a barbaric death fit for only criminals, being unjustly bestowed on Jesus prematurely, kind of counts in the same light?.

But, I could be wrong ...

Hehehehe.
psychobitchfromhell5 h, 28 m ago

i was answering phil when he said it you breathe you die. I wasn't …i was answering phil when he said it you breathe you die. I wasn't directly referring to diabetes, although the way the obesity rates are skyrocketing it might only be a matter of time

Fair enough, lol.
psychobitchfromhell6 h, 27 m ago

although the way the obesity rates are skyrocketing it might only be a …although the way the obesity rates are skyrocketing it might only be a matter of time

You do know that you are going to upset or offend some people by stating that fact

I know, I know it's fact but you just aren't allowed to criticise a certain generation even though you and I know theirs evidence.

33830822-juPfc.jpg
philphil6116 m ago

You do know that you are going to upset or offend some people by stating …You do know that you are going to upset or offend some people by stating that factI know, I know it's fact but you just aren't allowed to criticise a certain generation even though you and I know theirs evidence.[Image]

Lol, true, fair point.
philphil612 h, 23 m ago

You do know that you are going to upset or offend some people by stating …You do know that you are going to upset or offend some people by stating that factI know, I know it's fact but you just aren't allowed to criticise a certain generation even though you and I know theirs evidence.[Image]

I'm too old and jaded to worry about people taking offence.
psychobitchfromhell7 h, 46 m ago

I'm too old and jaded to worry about people taking offence.

You are not old

You're like a fine wine
You know you get better with age

But although you may be a fine wine.... I think you might be corked

or

You are not old
you are just getting more entitled to be your fabulous self
philphil612 m ago

You are not old You're like a fine wineYou know you get better with ageBut …You are not old You're like a fine wineYou know you get better with ageBut although you may be a fine wine.... I think you might be corked orYou are not old you are just getting more entitled to be your fabulous self

I think I'll go for the latter
This is BS

And fasting shouldn't be a "diet", it's a healthy lifestyle choice.

Would recommend checking out Dr Rhonda Patrick and her podcasts - which are on youtube etc.
foundmyfitness.com/

Brad Pilon - Eat Stop Eat

Martin Berkhan - Leangains.com

Michael Mosley - the guy on the BBC:
bbc.co.uk/pro…yzc

Fasting helps prevent diabetes, not the other way around.

The caveat is, if you already have diabetes or are close to, you can get very low blood sugar levels and it may be difficult.

Standard advice applies - speak to your doctor.

However many GPs simply aren't clued up on fasting.

The health benefits are immense. Fasting triggers autophagy - killing bad cells and repairing cells. So slows ageing and reduces the chance of age degenerative diseases and cancer - all caused by faulty cells replicating.
Resistance training also triggers autophagy. Hence people that work out a lot often look younger.
And the reason marathon runners etc. look so old is people the human body isn't designed for that.
Short intense exercise or walking is far better than running long distance or prolonged endurance exercise.

Fasting also means you're no longer a slave to hunger and can go without food for longer without issue.

You don't waste away when you stop eating, and you don't get more and more hungry - the hunger levels out and you get used to it.

I would recommend skipping breakfast and extending to a regular full day fast, e.g. once a week.
Edited by: "Shinoke" 21st May
@shinoke but we are often told breakfast is the most important meal of the day
Shinoke22 h, 18 m ago

This is BSAnd fasting shouldn't be a "diet", it's a healthy lifestyle …This is BSAnd fasting shouldn't be a "diet", it's a healthy lifestyle choice.Would recommend checking out Dr Rhonda Patrick and her podcasts - which are on youtube etc.https://www.foundmyfitness.com/Brad Pilon - Eat Stop EatMartin Berkhan - Leangains.comMichael Mosley - the guy on the BBC:https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzcFasting helps prevent diabetes, not the other way around.The caveat is, if you already have diabetes or are close to, you can get very low blood sugar levels and it may be difficult.Standard advice applies - speak to your doctor.However many GPs simply aren't clued up on fasting.The health benefits are immense. Fasting triggers autophagy - killing bad cells and repairing cells. So slows ageing and reduces the chance of age degenerative diseases and cancer - all caused by faulty cells replicating.Resistance training also triggers autophagy. Hence people that work out a lot often look younger.And the reason marathon runners etc. look so old is people the human body isn't designed for that.Short intense exercise or walking is far better than running long distance or prolonged endurance exercise.Fasting also means you're no longer a slave to hunger and can go without food for longer without issue.You don't waste away when you stop eating, and you don't get more and more hungry - the hunger levels out and you get used to it.I would recommend skipping breakfast and extending to a regular full day fast, e.g. once a week.

There is some much bs in your post that I literally have no time to disseminate all of it....

Martin berkhan - self proclaimed nutrition guru with no qualifications to make any of his claims .....

Brad pillon - I hippy with nutrition degree but closely associated with supplement industry

Michael Mosley - a journalist I think that says it all

Anyone that makes bold claims and tries to sell you something is most likely back snake oil salesman

Also there's literally no conclusive evidence to suggest fasting diet is effective in prevention it during diabetes in humans

Hopefully this will stop your from spreading more nonsense
33837704-nas9y.jpg
Edited by: "mattsk" 22nd May
Uranus22nd May

@shinoke but we are often told breakfast is the most important meal of the …@shinoke but we are often told breakfast is the most important meal of the day

Yes, by who exactly though? The government - in the pockets of big agri - the cereal producers and dairy industry.

It's shocking that you can get cereal frosted with sugar endorsed by the British Heart Foundation as "Heart Healthy".

The problem is a lot of people don't have the time, or feel they have the time for a proper healthy breakfast - and are repeatedly told that cereal and milk is a healthy breakfast - and big agri jumps on this and pushes the lie.

I'm signed up to Brad Pilon's newsletter and got this today in response to this "study":

---------------

Intermittent Fasting has become VERY popular in the main stream media over the last 6 months.

These things happen in cycles, the last time being around 2013.

In 2013, when Intermittent Fasting was a big topic in the news, we had all sorts of crazy stories about the ‘miracles’ of IF.

Then, as a result, we had the backlash, with clickbait articles about the dangers of IF, including IF not being good for women.

So now, Fasting is Big Again, so please be aware, the negative information will be coming again…

As an example, lets talk about the recent reports that fasting now causes Diabetes.

This comes from absolutely reckless and irresponsible reporting, using information gleaned from a poster presentation at a conference, not a published or reviewed study.

The study in question was also performed on Wistar Rats and they didn’t actually measure whether or not the rats had become diabetic. Importantly there as also no mention of a control group.

[[ As a note, please keep in mind my conflicts of interest are obvious, so I’m trying to report the facts as best I can, but keep in mind, I can’t help but have biases in this regard ]]

As we’ve discussed earlier, longer fasts (48 plus hours) can cause temporary and transient insulin resistance in humans, as it takes some time to switch from ‘fat burning’ to ‘glucose burning’ when your blood is high in free fatty acids.

The important point from these findings is that the insulin resistance induced by 48 hours of fasting is not associated with changes in three diabetes linked genes - Calpain 3, calpaan 10 and DARP, suggesting that it is mediated by increased blood FFA and NOT a change in insulin signalling / handling.

Finally, please do not let a single presentation on rats alter your reality. We should always be diligent, questioning what we think we know, but we should be just as cautious with bad news as we are with overly good news.

But at the same time, it is our duty to point out fake truths, otherwise they become reality .

Stay even keel on this - Fasting is a tool we use. It’s not magic, you don’t get to gorge on pizza and burgers just because you fast. However, from the human research, at this time it seems very unlikely that fasting will cause diabetes.

-----------------

Fasting isn't sold. It's anti snake oil and anti consumption.

That's why there's obviously lots of resistance from people that you just want buying pills, drugs, and not improving your lifestyle.

Type II diabetes is a metabolic/lifestyle dissease, as are most diseases these days.

The traditional medical model of providing medicine to cure a problem (e.g. an infectiious dissease, giving anti biotics etc.), does not work properly for lifestyle and metablolic disseases.

Dr. Jason Fung points this out very well.

Listened to this podcast yesterday, the 2nd video covers it (note, Mercola is a quack, but he has some good guests on his podcasts, so still worth checking out, but definitely check anything if you don't know the guest)

Fung is legitimate.

Haven't checked this out yet, but here's more from Jason Fung on this topic:

dietdoctor.com/how…rse
Edited by: "Shinoke" 23rd May
mattsk23 h, 43 m ago

There is some much bs in your post that I literally have no time to …There is some much bs in your post that I literally have no time to disseminate all of it

You were intending to dissemeninate not dissect my points? How galant of you :P
Brad Pilon left the supplement industry because he didn't believe in it.

If anything that adds to his credibility, it doesn't take away from it.

The point is, those people are decent sources for coverage of Fasting - they are not the researchers that are running sound studies that show the immense benefits of fasting - however they do reference them well.

Unlike The Guardian.

So yes, all better sources than The Guardian in this case. Mainstream reporting of scientific "studies" and health topics is notoriously poor - and the same newspaper will give contradictory advice one month to the next as the misinterpret or misrepresent a study they don't understand, don't have the background or knowledge to understand, and sensationalise for clicks and a big headline.

Brad Pilon's read hundreds of studies, is qualified to understand the topics, and fairly level headed and balanced. That can't be said of what is likely a low level journalist at a newspaper writing a quick article to a deadline to sell papers.

Fasting works.

Funny how much misonformed hate it can get from certain people.

It's just taking a break from eating. Food has historically been scarce - humans evolved with food scarcity.

Modern diseasses like Type II diabetes are a consequence of bad diets and lifestyles.
Shoveling sugar in your face all day basically.
Shinoke59 m ago

Yes, by who exactly though? The government - in the pockets of big agri - …Yes, by who exactly though? The government - in the pockets of big agri - the cereal producers and dairy industry.It's shocking that you can get cereal frosted with sugar endorsed by the British Heart Foundation as "Heart Healthy".The problem is a lot of people don't have the time, or feel they have the time for a proper healthy breakfast - and are repeatedly told that cereal and milk is a healthy breakfast - and big agri jumps on this and pushes the lie.I'm signed up to Brad Pilon's newsletter and got this today in response to this "study":---------------Intermittent Fasting has become VERY popular in the main stream media over the last 6 months.These things happen in cycles, the last time being around 2013.In 2013, when Intermittent Fasting was a big topic in the news, we had all sorts of crazy stories about the ‘miracles’ of IF.Then, as a result, we had the backlash, with clickbait articles about the dangers of IF, including IF not being good for women.So now, Fasting is Big Again, so please be aware, the negative information will be coming again…As an example, lets talk about the recent reports that fasting now causes Diabetes.This comes from absolutely reckless and irresponsible reporting, using information gleaned from a poster presentation at a conference, not a published or reviewed study.The study in question was also performed on Wistar Rats and they didn’t actually measure whether or not the rats had become diabetic. Importantly there as also no mention of a control group.[[ As a note, please keep in mind my conflicts of interest are obvious, so I’m trying to report the facts as best I can, but keep in mind, I can’t help but have biases in this regard ]]As we’ve discussed earlier, longer fasts (48 plus hours) can cause temporary and transient insulin resistance in humans, as it takes some time to switch from ‘fat burning’ to ‘glucose burning’ when your blood is high in free fatty acids.The important point from these findings is that the insulin resistance induced by 48 hours of fasting is not associated with changes in three diabetes linked genes - Calpain 3, calpaan 10 and DARP, suggesting that it is mediated by increased blood FFA and NOT a change in insulin signalling / handling.Finally, please do not let a single presentation on rats alter your reality. We should always be diligent, questioning what we think we know, but we should be just as cautious with bad news as we are with overly good news.But at the same time, it is our duty to point out fake truths, otherwise they become reality .Stay even keel on this - Fasting is a tool we use. It’s not magic, you don’t get to gorge on pizza and burgers just because you fast. However, from the human research, at this time it seems very unlikely that fasting will cause diabetes.-----------------Fasting isn't sold. It's anti snake oil and anti consumption.That's why there's obviously lots of resistance from people that you just want buying pills, drugs, and not improving your lifestyle.Type II diabetes is a metabolic/lifestyle dissease, as are most diseases these days.The traditional medical model of providing medicine to cure a problem (e.g. an infectiious dissease, giving anti biotics etc.), does not work properly for lifestyle and metablolic disseases.Dr. Jason Fung points this out very well.Listened to this podcast yesterday, the 2nd video covers it (note, Mercola is a quack, but he has some good guests on his podcasts, so still worth checking out, but definitely check anything if you don't know the guest)Fung is legitimate.[Video] Haven't checked this out yet, but here's more from Jason Fung on this topic:https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-reverse-diabetes-type-2-video-course

do you even read the crap you write?
your conspiracy theory that the government makes healthy eating policies is to benefit agrocultural industry? seriously?
the governmet wants to kill its only source of income? the government wants to keep everyone unhealthy so it will have to invest more in social support?
dude take off your tinfoil hat. did you even check what is a healthy breakfast suggestion by the government?

im literally going to skip over majority of the rest of the nonsense you wrote down and jump to your video sponsored by mercola..... the biggest snake oil salesman on the planet. anything that comes out of that webpage should be ignored
Shinoke49 m ago

Brad Pilon left the supplement industry because he didn't believe in it.If …Brad Pilon left the supplement industry because he didn't believe in it.If anything that adds to his credibility, it doesn't take away from it.The point is, those people are decent sources for coverage of Fasting - they are not the researchers that are running sound studies that show the immense benefits of fasting - however they do reference them well.Unlike The Guardian.So yes, all better sources than The Guardian in this case. Mainstream reporting of scientific "studies" and health topics is notoriously poor - and the same newspaper will give contradictory advice one month to the next as the misinterpret or misrepresent a study they don't understand, don't have the background or knowledge to understand, and sensationalise for clicks and a big headline.Brad Pilon's read hundreds of studies, is qualified to understand the topics, and fairly level headed and balanced. That can't be said of what is likely a low level journalist at a newspaper writing a quick article to a deadline to sell papers.Fasting works.Funny how much misonformed hate it can get from certain people.It's just taking a break from eating. Food has historically been scarce - humans evolved with food scarcity.Modern diseasses like Type II diabetes are a consequence of bad diets and lifestyles.Shoveling sugar in your face all day basically.

yes brad pillon left the supplement industry to sell his own stuff, funny how you dont see the irony here.

fasting doesnt work, it CAN work short term which is proven by number of studies

"Food has historically been scarce - humans evolved with food scarcity.Modern diseasses like Type II diabetes are a consequence of bad diets and lifestyles.Shoveling sugar in your face all day basically."

so instead of changing the dietary habits you suggest we fast (and continue to eat crap since that is how fad diets work)?
Mercola is a quack, Jason Fung isn't.

I stated explicitly:
(note, Mercola is a quack, but he has some good guests on his podcasts, so still worth checking out, but definitely check anything if you don't know the guest)Fung is legitimate

It's a youtube video.

It's not a conspiracy theory. There isn't some grand cospiracy, just basic human greed and practice.

Businesses lobby government and fund political parties. Policies, guidelines, and laws are influenced by that funding.

If you have a massive lobbying group applying pressure to encourage the consumption of cereal, backed by studies funded by them (wholegrains are heart healthy etc), then it's easy to see how recommedations for cereal consumption for breakfast is pushed as healthy.

Harvard massively criticised the food pyramid and MyPlate in the US for those very reasons.

You're seriously suggesting lobbying and funding has no impact, and that invididuals or heads of policy or health recommendations aren't swaved by masses of cash?

And obviously, the basic assumption is that the people in these staid, slow organisations actually have the best understanding and knowledge - and they don't. They're so far behind scientific research.

Brad pilon sold a book. Even if he sold his own stuff (people need to make a living), it doesn't take away from the validity of his points.

No, I suggest people adopt a healthy lifestyle - that includes regular exercise (e.g. short intense exercise, walking, resistance training - not long distance endurance, such as long distance road running)

Healthy whole foods

And taking a break from eating (fasting).

So no "diet" or dieting. A long term, positive, healthy lifestyle change.

Resistance training and fasting both encourage autophagy, which is where a lot of the benefits come from - ceullar renewal.
Killing off faulty cells that would otherwise replicate with faults (which causes ageing, and can cause cancer).

Anyway, you're just rude, ignorant, and not really worth discussing this with clearly.

Making very poor negative assumptions and arguing against those - assumptions of your making - not what I'm actually saying.

Fasting works.

Eating healthily works.

Exercise works.

Fasting is just a mild stressor like exercise. Thinking fasting would make you weak for example would be like thinking exercise makes you weak because it uses up your energy and causes strain on your body - and thinking instead you should lie around all day and not strain yourself.

Your body adapts to the stress and makes you stronger.

It's just a case of exercising your body, mind, and energy source (fasting).
I second everything Shinoke has said. Fasting works and not just short term. I have been intermittent fasting for over 7 years. Never felt better or stronger.

I fast every day for 23 hours and then eat within a 1 hour window. Never feel hungry and never feel weak.

I have lost excess body fat and retained lean muscle mass and now in my 40s have a 6 pack that I always dreamt of in my 20s when I was told to "eat 6 small meals a day to keep my metabolism up" "make sure to eat breakfast, the most important meal of the day" "always eat regularly or your body will go into starvation mode"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions