Groups

Fate of Universe revealed by galactic lens

A "galactic lens" has revealed that the Universe will probably expand forever.

Astronomers used the way that light from distant stars was distorted by a huge galactic cluster known as Abell 1689 to work out the amount of dark energy in the cosmos.

Dark energy is a mysterious force that speeds up the expansion of the Universe.

Understanding the distribution of this force revealed that the likely fate of the Universe was to keep on expanding.

It will eventually become a cold, dead wasteland, researchers say.

bbc.co.uk/new…889

So, we finally know the meaning of life? to reproduce until the universe turns to ice! something to look forward to huh!

Cosmology really fascinates me, it is crazy how little we actually know, and how small we are in comparison to what is around us.

What are your thoughts, Is this as depressing as it sounds? maybe once again scientists are wrong, it will happen maybe zillions of years from now if it is true, but the image in my head is quite a sad one...... it is enough coping with the fact i am going to die let alone picturing the death of everything... someone pass me the vodka

27 Comments

I hear ya man ... here's the vodka!

Unless theres an astoriod gonna hit us and wipe us all out im not bothered to be honest. I think its a waste of time and money looking so far from home when there are far more important things to do than this.

The universe is entropic in patches. From each massive star that goes nova or supernova several more are born as witness the solar system and it's neighbouring stars and the steady state theory so beloved of Hoyle has yet to be completely disproved.

I've started watching 'How the universe works' on discovery and it explains in real dummies terms how we were created, how we live and what the future holds. It explains a great deal that I didn't know and wished I'd watched that sort of programme when I was a kid as it explains all about our and other solar systems.

i.e as in the above comment it is highly unlikely we can be hit by an asteroid as Jupiter protects us with it's own magnetic field.

Banned

greg_68

I've started watching 'How the universe works' on discovery and it … I've started watching 'How the universe works' on discovery and it explains in real dummies terms how we were created, how we live and what the future holds. It explains a great deal that I didn't know and wished I'd watched that sort of programme when I was a kid as it explains all about our and other solar systems.i.e as in the above comment it is highly unlikely we can be hit by an asteroid as Jupiter protects us with it's own magnetic field.

really? Cant see how Jupiter protects us at all as in theory it only occupies about 0.00001% of the space that an asteroid could come from and cant see how its magnetic field could stretch across the entire solar system and draw asteroids in.

"It will eventually become a cold, dead wasteland, researchers say."

So..... Red Dead Redemption?

^^ I am sure it's Jupiter, watch the programme it is really interesting in a none geek sort of way. I am sure Saturn has an effect on one of the other planets through its magnetc field and it's something like 640 million miles away.

Lost Symphonies

"It will eventually become a cold, dead wasteland, researchers … "It will eventually become a cold, dead wasteland, researchers say."So..... Red Dead Redemption?

I'm looking forward to Fallout: Universe.

greg_68

I've started watching 'How the universe works' on discovery and it … I've started watching 'How the universe works' on discovery and it explains in real dummies terms how we were created, how we live and what the future holds. It explains a great deal that I didn't know and wished I'd watched that sort of programme when I was a kid as it explains all about our and other solar systems.i.e as in the above comment it is highly unlikely we can be hit by an asteroid as Jupiter protects us with it's own magnetic field.

The main asteroid belt lies between Mars and Jupiter so while Jupiter does offer some protection from objects that originate in the Kuiper belt or the Oorts cloud it provides no cover at all from the many millions of objects that lie within it's orbit also witness the many comets that slip by Jupiter every year.

was reading a magazine article in Focus - that said the wettest planet is Titan - now forgive me if i am wrong but ain't that a moon? or is it still classed as a planet?

Banned

Really struggled to get my head around the science of this when I read it. To be honest these guys could be saying anything and 99% of us would nod our heads in agreement and how wondrous it is.

The more I read on it the more it seems like wild speculative theory which can not be proven or disproved yet so much credence is given to them.

One day all the stars will go out, Hence one day it will be very cold and dark.

I can never get my head around where the universe ends.

Banned

greg_68

I can never get my head around where the universe ends.

I don't think anybody really can. Anyone who claims they can truly grasp infinity or the lack of infinity is lying.

arcangel111

was reading a magazine article in Focus - that said the wettest planet is … was reading a magazine article in Focus - that said the wettest planet is Titan - now forgive me if i am wrong but ain't that a moon? or is it still classed as a planet?

It is a minor planet but because it orbits Saturn it is a moon of Saturn.

master_chief

I don't think anybody really can. Anyone who claims they can truly grasp … I don't think anybody really can. Anyone who claims they can truly grasp infinity or the lack of infinity is lying.

+1oO

Its all a lot of guess work.

I love the subject of space and the universe but really we will never understand it, it is much to huge and complicated for us to ever have a clue , we simply will never know WTF is going on.

Big bang theory, what happened before it? Well there is a head melter if ever there was one, then I watched a program about other so called experts disputing the big bang theory and coming up with a plausible theory of their own, 4th dimensions and colliding universes lol, so we are getting somewhere here I thought, but no end result is that they don’t have a clue either.

I came to my own conclusion, if Hawking who has one of the smartest brains in the world has spent all his days trying to work this out and cant then none of us have a chance.

Forget about it, get drunk and multiply like advanced form of mold we are lol

sparkyIreland

Its all a lot of guess work.I love the subject of space and the universe … Its all a lot of guess work.I love the subject of space and the universe but really we will never understand it, it is much to huge and complicated for us to ever have a clue , we simply will never know WTF is going on.Big bang theory, what happened before it? Well there is a head melter if ever there was one, then I watched a program about other so called experts disputing the big bang theory and coming up with a plausible theory of their own, 4th dimensions and colliding universes lol, so we are getting somewhere here I thought, but no end result is that they don’t have a clue either.I came to my own conclusion, if Hawking who has one of the smartest brains in the world has spent all his days trying to work this out and cant then none of us have a chance.Forget about it, get drunk and multiply like advanced form of mold we are lol

Have enough and you will see double the amount of stars that you would normally see thereby also doubling the accepted size of the universe. Now that will blow your mind.

Think multiple universes or never ending amount of universes, that blows my mind

Original Poster

sparkyIreland

Its all a lot of guess work.I love the subject of space and the universe … Its all a lot of guess work.I love the subject of space and the universe but really we will never understand it, it is much to huge and complicated for us to ever have a clue , we simply will never know WTF is going on.Big bang theory, what happened before it? Well there is a head melter if ever there was one, then I watched a program about other so called experts disputing the big bang theory and coming up with a plausible theory of their own, 4th dimensions and colliding universes lol, so we are getting somewhere here I thought, but no end result is that they don’t have a clue either.I came to my own conclusion, if Hawking who has one of the smartest brains in the world has spent all his days trying to work this out and cant then none of us have a chance.Forget about it, get drunk and multiply like advanced form of mold we are lol

Not having a clue is a little unfair..
    Using what we know about science they have a good idea how things happened, problem is proving the theories beyond any doubt.

Plus Hawking is only seen as super intelligent to us because he blinds us with cosmologic technobabble, who are we to argue? im sure if u were ( for example ) a plumber, you could appear intelligent to him, as he wouldn't have a clue about York flanges etc....

Phew..least I can now go to bed and sleep tonight.

sparkyIreland

Think multiple universes or never ending amount of universes, that blows … Think multiple universes or never ending amount of universes, that blows my mind

It doesnt blow my mind. I just think of it as the universe is ever expanding which means theres an infinite amount of possibilites on planets, which imo means there must be other life and imo it also means theres a galaxy somehwere EXACTLY the same as the star wars movies which is just a bag full of awesome

micoo

It doesnt blow my mind. I just think of it as the universe is ever … It doesnt blow my mind. I just think of it as the universe is ever expanding which means theres an infinite amount of possibilites on planets, which imo means there must be other life and imo it also means theres a galaxy somehwere EXACTLY the same as the star wars movies which is just a bag full of awesome

Multiple universes doesn't blow your mind? Amazing

Like an infinite amount of universes that are stacked side by side and occasionally collide (This is an alternative to the big bang)

Basically if there was no big bang then how did it start, well it didn't, it was just always there, that amazes me because I don't understand or it freaks me a little.

What if we are digital? Let me just throw that spanner in the works, I watched something also briefly (Plus I don't concentrate the very best), it was regarding the fact that we could be living in a computer simulation, and it is not as far fetched as you may believe.

They talked about pixels for example on your tv if you zoom and zoom right in you end up with a single pixel, well some scientist (I think) found the equivalent on earth or life, zooming into a tiny tiny microscopic particle.

Anyway, so we are running significantly better than in 1080p then

They actually did mention the game sims, which is something I have thought of myself, how realistic would the sims be in 50 years? how about 200-500 years, maybe like real life? What if we are already there, living in a sim creating sims.

Fantastic, so many possibilities, sorry are your ears burning, I rambled a bit.

What if we are just as simple as some alien childs school project? And what if we get binned cause we is shitzzzz

I believe in a creator, no doubt, I like the idea of being a sim, at the same time you have to be careful as saying this could mean you are loosing touch with reality and loosing your mind, but at the same time if even the experts cant work it out then it is open to interpretation.

Many thanks, drink time

What's a york flange?

hey i watched MIB i know how tiny a galaxy can be .... and also how big too... lol

Original Poster

fjente

What's a york flange?

lol..

A fitting inserted into the top of hot water cylinders which purges the hot water of air before it is drawn off into the outlet. Normally used in the feed for shower pumps.

jayjayuk1234

lol..A fitting inserted into the top of hot water cylinders which purges … lol..A fitting inserted into the top of hot water cylinders which purges the hot water of air before it is drawn off into the outlet. Normally used in the feed for shower pumps.

Many thanks I shall now go and stare at my hot water cylinder in awe at its wonderous complexity. It never occured to me that there was anything but water in there.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 10% Argos code with glitch22
      2. Safest type of external hard drive?33
      3. Jury service47
      4. Three connection56

See more discussions