Father looking to upgrade TV

Posted 27th May 2020
My old man is looking to upgrade his TV, he currently has an Panasonic TX-58DX802B but is unhappy with a few things such as the screen mirroring not working or that he cannot get a lot of apps.

He is looking for an upgrade, preferably an android tv and at a size of 65 inches. Obviously as well he is looking a picture quality that can match what already has but with a benefit of dolby atmos. His budget is £1000.

I'd love to say a firestick with disney plus would be cheaper but he has his pension and this is what he would like to do. I thank you all in advance as I do not want to get the entire blame if I choose wrong I am asking you lot :).
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Honestly I’d stay away from Android, especially for the older generation. It has way too many issues.
His current TV is actually really good, most LED TVs would be a side step, so possibly go to OLED if the budget can be stretched that is. He would be better off getting a 55” OLED than a 65” LED if budget can’t be increased.
You’d need to see which ones support screen mirroring though, what exactly does he mirror and from what device?
Edited by: "GRSC" 27th May
GRSC27/05/2020 21:20

Honestly I’d stay away from Android, especially for the older generation. …Honestly I’d stay away from Android, especially for the older generation. It has way too many issues.His current TV is actually really good, most LED TVs would be a side step, so possibly go to OLED if the budget can be stretched that is. He would be better off getting a 55” OLED than a 65” LED if budget can’t be increased. You’d need to see which ones support screen mirroring though, what exactly does he mirror and from what device?

He wants to mirror his tablet but if he has a smart TV with more apps this will most likely not be something he would need anymore.

I've also had issues with trying to use the mirroring and also the Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to detect anything and he would like to get a Bluetooth sound system and some point.

I'll see if he can be convinced by a smaller oled but he is in the mindset of bigger equals better.

Could you recommend some oleds I could throw his way? He is envious of my Ambilight and seen they do do an Ambilight.
The LG B9 is a really good price at the moment, Bluetooth connectivity is a doddle to use although use wired if you can as sound quality will be much better. Either use optical or HDMI ARC.
Mirroring can be a pain to be honest, I’ve not got a lot of experience with mirroring but the LG should cover most apps that he would use.

I think all Philips OLEDS use Android, I found that colors on the 55oled804 to be a bit rich for my taste but some people will like this.

When the likes of Currys, JL and Richer Sounds reopen, probably best to go and see them with your dad and let him pick his favorite for picture quality. He can’t blame you then for not liking it

Richer Sounds normally let you play with the tv, so you could test the screen mirroring feature etc.
Edited by: "GRSC" 27th May
GRSC27/05/2020 21:46

The LG B9 is a really good price at the moment, Bluetooth connectivity is …The LG B9 is a really good price at the moment, Bluetooth connectivity is a doddle to use although use wired if you can as sound quality will be much better. Either use optical or HDMI ARC.Mirroring can be a pain to be honest, I’ve not got a lot of experience with mirroring but the LG should cover most apps that he would use.I think all Philips OLEDS use Android, I found that colors on the 55oled804 to be a bit rich for my taste but some people will like this. When the likes of Currys, JL and Richer Sounds reopen, probably best to go and see them with your dad and let him pick his favorite for picture quality. He can’t blame you then for not liking it Richer Sounds normally let you play with the tv, so you could test the screen mirroring feature etc.

He has a large living room hence the Bluetooth speakers, he's a bit deaf too so doubt he would notice the loss in sound quality.... probably.

I made the mistake going with him last time, did as much research as possible to help him out and in the end he got suckered in by the Panasonic salesman at Curry's, I couldn't compete.

What's JL by the way? My nerdy ass is just reading Justic League every time.

I'll take a look at the apps on LG and the OS they use see if they'll be future proof. It's the biggest sector he has not had much luck on. Had a Samsung before the Panasonic and his Samsung was the one model that did not have a Netflix app, looking it up Samsun blamed netflix for this and netflix blamed Samsung.
Title reminded me of this for some reason

40894077-dDq8n.jpg
JL is John Lewis. Bluetooth compresses the sound but it should be ok to be honest.
Currys have reps galore, for the best independent advice Richer Sounds are awesome, my LG oled has every app I know of( except Apple TV) but I have the B7 model. 99% sure that the LG Newer models have this included.
GRSC27/05/2020 22:51

JL is John Lewis. Bluetooth compresses the sound but it should be ok to …JL is John Lewis. Bluetooth compresses the sound but it should be ok to be honest.Currys have reps galore, for the best independent advice Richer Sounds are awesome, my LG oled has every app I know of( except Apple TV) but I have the B7 model. 99% sure that the LG Newer models have this included.

Thank you for all the advice, it's been much appreciated.
No problem, hopefully I’ve not confused you
Gormond27/05/2020 22:29

Title reminded me of this for some reason [Image]

I also was thinking along religious lines!!!
The DX802 was one model down from the flagship on that year, so a modern TV with the same positioning and Android TV would be something like the Sony XG95.

Samsung also makes high end LCDs but they're notorious for not supporting their smart platforms very long (well nobody does, but Samsung is shorter than most).

Philips do Android TVs but they tend to focus on providing a excellent everyday viewing experience with their LCD models so they have highlights like better speakers rather than incorporating the latest display technology. If he's watching US stuff that's pushing HDR and so on then that might not be for him.

£1000 probably isn't going to get you a TV of that calibre of more than 55", and he'd better get a move on as the 2019 models usually clear out pretty fast at this time of year - the 2020 models won't come down to the same price until the Christmas sales.

There's the Sony XF90 but I think that has the slow processor older Sony Android TVs had that was generally disliked (again, not that any smart TV system is lightning fast).

LG's SM9800 only starts at 65" and £1,300, and LG's smart TV system shows ads.
Post a comment
@
    Text