Faulty Dishwasher, Not sure which part I need.

Found 6th Aug 2017
Hey all.

I have just been given a free dishwasher, all is hooked up and it works.
However from the back there is a lot of electrical crackling noise coming from the section where the mains goes into the machine.

I have taken it apart and can see a bit of black on the board where the mains connect and have narrowed it down to two parts that need replacing.

This is the bit that is crackling:

2758481-OfVcf.jpg
So it is either the mains cable or the capacitor that clicks into it.

partmaster.co.uk/bos…559

or

partmaster.co.uk/bos…559

Both can be bought cheaper elsewhere but the links are for reference.

The capacitator on mine looks perfect, the mains is looking a bit ropey so assume it is the mains cable but anyone know for sure?

Don't mind spending a tenner on a new capacitator but not going to spend £30 on a mains cable for a free dishwasher if it is not needed.

Thanks for any advice.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Is that earth cable burn't ?
kester764 m ago

Is that earth cable burn't ?

I don't think so, I think it is just a darker coloured connecting clip.
You can make the noise stop by wiggling the whole thing about a bit lol (found that out by accident by the way!)
Electrical crackling normally occurs when there is a loose connection - an arcing occurs. The crackling stopping when you "wiggle" the connection also suggests something somewhere on the live or the neutral is not making a good connection.

I'd check all the connections before I'd purchase any new parts. Where one part plugs into the other check the connectors are tight.
Check your smoke alarms too
Van197313 h, 3 m ago

Electrical crackling normally occurs when there is a loose connection - an …Electrical crackling normally occurs when there is a loose connection - an arcing occurs. The crackling stopping when you "wiggle" the connection also suggests something somewhere on the live or the neutral is not making a good connection.I'd check all the connections before I'd purchase any new parts. Where one part plugs into the other check the connectors are tight.

Thanks for the info, I will take it all apart later. Clean the connectors and make sure all is fitted tightly. Hopefully it is just a wire that came loose when moving it.
Right, took it apart and checked. All connectors are very tight.

Put it back together and now with the back easier to see I can see sparks from a certain section where the capacitator joins the mains.

Red arrows show where the sparks are coming from:

31635335-NW7K1.jpg
31635335-qhl8y.jpg
The latter photo is with the capacitator plugged back in, the sparks are coming from behind the green wire but not actually from it.

Any thoughts?
I should also point out the machine is still on with all the correct lights when this happens. Obviously I haven't tried running it it in this condition.
Also the breaker does not trip and the fuse in the plug does not blow.

Just thought that might help
This is beyond my knowledge so I can't be much help.

I would replace the Capacitor-Interference unit if you can get one for a tenner and see if that fixes it.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more qualified advice!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions