Expired

Faulty electrical item from ebay after 4 months - what is the best course of action?

Found 23rd Feb 2014
Quick question, I purchased an item from ebay nearly 4 months ago and it has now gone faulty. I sent the seller an email over a week ago but they haven't replied.

What is the best way to deal with it?

The ebay resolution center gave me an option for item not as described, but if I click that it doesn't show this item (too old?). If I look at my purchase history there is an option to "Return item" next to it's listing but when I click that it just says "There has been a technical error".

Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
20 Comments
Was it a private seller or a company and what item was it?

I believe that Ebay/Paypal only assist within 45days of payment.

Edited by: "SUMMONER" 23rd Feb 2014
did you buy it new?
If this was from a private seller then in reality it is not their fault. There is no telling how the item had been treated nor whether it has been dropped etc.

If you want a long term warranty then buy new and you are covered by manufacturers and UK law.
Original Poster
New from a company, on a buy it now listing.

The item has not been dropped or abused - just stopped working.
I think you need to contact the ,manufacturer and ask if they have a returns policy and show your eBay purchase receipt as proof of purchase, hope this helps
Have you contacted the seller regarding this? One seller I had this problem with told me to keep the item and supplied a new one FOC.
Original Poster
Figgy

Have you contacted the seller regarding this? One seller I had this … Have you contacted the seller regarding this? One seller I had this problem with told me to keep the item and supplied a new one FOC.

As above - contacted the seller over a week ago but no response, they are still selling the same item so should have stock etc.
nbuuifx

New from a company, on a buy it now listing.

In that case look at any of their current/previous listings. Towards the bottom there is a clickable link labelled Contact details. Click on it and it should display both their postal address and a contact phone number.

Dependant on what it was that you bought, you may also be covered by a manufacturer's warranty. Might be simpler to give their service centre a call to arrange a repair.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 23rd Feb 2014
If they're a company they should have their company info at the bottom of their listings and should have a telephone number? Or if not, should be able to find a number for them. Maybe try ringing them and see what they say.
I'd probably email them every day for a week til they replied though lol - then ring them if no response.
Also check the listing to see if they state it has a specific warranty period with them.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, there was no warranty period specified but I thought that electrical goods sold in the UK have 12 months warranty as standard? Or have I dreamed that?

To make it more complicated when I click on the "Business Seller Information" at the bottom it just gives a load of Chinese symbols, so I take it the address is in Chinese! The item location was Portsmouth and it took 2 days to arrive!
Get their contact info from Ebay ...

At the top of the main screen to the far right (to right of Search button) there is a clickable link called 'Advanced', click this, then choose 'Find Contact Information', then put in the user id & the item number, click 'Search' and they will email you all contact info plus phone number for your seller.

The seller will also get your info, but they have that anyway! Then give them a call ...
we bought a PC from eBay couple years ago and after 6 months it stopped working, company wouldnt reply to emails and eBay didnt want to know as it was over 3 months old even though it was a brand new item. soon after the company just disappeared
Banned
What is the best way to deal with it?

Open bin, throw item in bin, close bin!
You won't get anything from eBay. The seller on the otherhand you may be able to get something but he may just say contact the manufacturer (unless he see's you haven't left any feedback).

That's why I never leave feedback as then sellers don't care once they receive the positive feedback.

Anyway, your other course of action is to call the manufacturers customer service line and ask them. Again, as above use your eBay confirmation email as proof of purchase and paypal reference too.

Just out of curiousity what did you buy?
Original Poster
I haven't left any feedback but I don't think I can now either.

As said above, if the seller is a company (they sell products to make profit) - then they are liable for the product, however, if you are talking about something which is under £10 then you shouldn't waste your time. If not and the product is worth a bit more, you will find it tricky if the company is not willing to help out, eBay won't enforce anything after the 45 day period, so you may hit a dead end.

The only course of action if the company is not willing to help is either PayPal, Small Claims Court or the manufacturer, but the manufacturer doesn't have to help you.
Original Poster
Thanks it isn't expensive - only £16.

I'll give paypal a try and see what happens.
Original Poster
Paypal will only help with 45 days from the look of things.
nbuuifx

Paypal will only help with 45 days from the look of things.

In that Case ...

Graham1979

What is the best way to deal with it?Open bin, throw item in bin, close … What is the best way to deal with it?Open bin, throw item in bin, close bin!

+1
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants