Groups

Faulty Graphics card?

Hi there, was wondering if someone can tell me if I'm having graphic card problems.

My daughters pc is having major problems and at first I thought it was the motherboard dying, now I'm not sure.

I did seem to be having problems with the graphics card a while back, it seemed to start struggling with games it used to play OK, pc started crashing/shutting down during game play. So I stopped playing games on it and all was well. Passed the pc on to my daughter and it's been OK for about a year, she doesn't play games on it either.

couple off weeks ago its started playing up, firstly the keyboard wasn't being recognised, she'd have to reboot. Then the monitor started to not be recognised, again she'd have to keep rebooting till it worked. now the pc freezes after a few minutes and the only thing you can do is switch it off and on again.

I did think it was motherboard, but now remembering the graphics card problems a while back I'm not so sure.

I don't have a spare card to try and I'm really skint so want to try and work out the problem if I can. Anyone have any ideas?

20 Comments

First things to check are the easiest,Are all the fans spinning ?. Have you blown any dust from the CPU and graphics card ?. Heat is the biggest problem when it come to graphics,is the graphics card a powerful one that needs a better PSU ?.

hi, if the pc loads up ok first thing u should do is click start, then settings, then control panel, then click system, click hardware, device manager, click the plus sign+ next to display adaptors, if u have nothing showing in there, then it would appear to be the graphics card, i had similer problem with my graphics card a few months back luckly for me it was still in warranty, i sent it back to ebuyer, and had a brand new one as replacement,

if yours isnt in warranty then it looks like a new graphics card for you i,m afraid

Original Poster

tonyg1962;5860843

First things to check are the easiest,Are all the fans spinning ?. Have … First things to check are the easiest,Are all the fans spinning ?. Have you blown any dust from the CPU and graphics card ?. Heat is the biggest problem when it come to graphics,is the graphics card a powerful one that needs a better PSU ?.

Yeah i checked the fans and blew dust off, its an old pc and the card came with it, always worked fine, until about 18 months ago, as I stopped playing games on it I kinda forgot it was having problems.

As it started off with keyboard problems I didn't think of the graphics card.

yes just to follow up, its always a good idea to clean away the dust in ur case, say every month, use a compressed air can to blow away the dust in ur case n if poss use ur hoover to get the dust up, just make sure u dont touch components in case,
    makes a huge diff, u be surprised how much dust n dirt builds up in ur case

Original Poster

n1ttygr1tty;5860859

hi, if the pc loads up ok first thing u should do is click start, then … hi, if the pc loads up ok first thing u should do is click start, then settings, then control panel, then click system, click hardware, device manager, click the plus sign+ next to display adaptors, if u have nothing showing in there, then it would appear to be the graphics card, i had similer problem with my graphics card a few months back luckly for me it was still in warranty, i sent it back to ebuyer, and had a brand new one as replacement, if yours isnt in warranty then it looks like a new graphics card for you i,m afraid

Well to be honest that is probably best case scenario for me, I'm really skint and can't afford her a new computer, I just didn't want to go buy a new card and it be blatantly obviously to "techys" that the card was never the problem, lol

I did check device manager, no !!! in there.

sounds like its the graphics card then if it doesnt show up, try aria, or ebuyer, or even ebay if u looking for cheap graphics, just make sure it will work in ur system etc, if its just email and normal pc work u do on ur pc then any will do really , if its gaming ur looking at then they abit more pricey for a decent one

Original Poster

n1ttygr1tty;5860916

sounds like its the graphics card then if it doesnt show up, try aria, or … sounds like its the graphics card then if it doesnt show up, try aria, or ebuyer, or even ebay if u looking for cheap graphics, just make sure it will work in ur system etc, if its just email and normal pc work u do on ur pc then any will do really , if its gaming ur looking at then they abit more pricey for a decent one

Ok, I have my eye on a cheap second hand one on ebay, will see how it goes.

Thanks for your help guys, just wanted to make sure the problem wasn't something else glaringly obvious.

Repfest imminent xx

how old is the pc, did u buy the graphics card seperate when u had it? or was it a whole package, if so the graphics warranty wont apply in this case, if however the pc came with some sort of warranty or u took out warranty might be worth looking into get it repaired for free

Does the motherboard have an inbuilt graphics card? What i mean is obviously not a built in card but the chip set
    Some do, some don't
    If so, have you tried removing the graphics card or disconnecting it and try booting up?
    When you boot in safe mode it normally loads minimum drivers and one that is often ignored is graphics card drivers, or mine does at least lol

Do be warned there are 2 main different standards for graphics cards - AGP (for PCs from late 90's-2005ish) and PCI-E (for new PC's) that are incompatable - there is a good chance you are looking for an AGP card

Its worth doing a memory-test first to see if thats the fault - you can download 'mem-test 86' and burn it to a CD, or use a Ubuntu boot-disc (or a Vista disc too FWIR) and there is a 'memory test' option...

Also worth going into the bios menu (setup) and there is usually a page telling you the CPU temperature and power supply stats - if the CPU is over about 50C or the PSU lines are way off (over 5% away from the proper voltages) the problems may be overheating/failing PSU respectively.

Original Poster

n1ttygr1tty;5860934

how old is the pc, did u buy the graphics card seperate when u had it? or … how old is the pc, did u buy the graphics card seperate when u had it? or was it a whole package, if so the graphics warranty wont apply in this case, if however the pc came with some sort of warranty or u took out warranty might be worth looking into get it repaired for free

Naah it's about 4 years old now, well out of it's warranty unfortunately.

boydent999;5860970

Does the motherboard have an inbuilt graphics card? What i mean is … Does the motherboard have an inbuilt graphics card? What i mean is obviously not a built in card but the chip setSome do, some don'tIf so, have you tried removing the graphics card or disconnecting it and try booting up?When you boot in safe mode it normally loads minimum drivers and one that is often ignored is graphics card drivers, or mine does at least lol

I did think to try this, but there is no port to plug in the monitor, except for on the graphics card? I guessed that meant no onboard graphics.

jah128;5861065

Do be warned there are 2 main different standards for graphics cards - … Do be warned there are 2 main different standards for graphics cards - AGP (for PCs from late 90's-2005ish) and PCI-E (for new PC's) that are incompatable - there is a good chance you are looking for an AGP card

I checked the card in there already, it's a pci-e one

Don't rule out a faulty power supply, common fault that causes graphics problems. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

esq3585;5861108

Don't rule out a faulty power supply, common fault that causes graphics … Don't rule out a faulty power supply, common fault that causes graphics problems. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed - I was adding that to my post above! Check the bios menu to see if it tells you the PSU voltages...

ChipSticks;5861096

I did think to try this, but there is no port to plug in the monitor, … I did think to try this, but there is no port to plug in the monitor, except for on the graphics card? I guessed that meant no onboard graphics.

Was hoping you'd have summat like this
    As you can see that has 2 x VGA connections and 1 x DVI , 1 x VGA on the mobo itself and the other connections on the graphics card
    Shame your's doesn't :-(

]http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4723344/BackofPC_Full.jpg

boydent999;5861133

Was hoping you'd have summat like thisAs you can see that has 2 x VGA … Was hoping you'd have summat like thisAs you can see that has 2 x VGA connections and 1 x DVI , 1 x VGA on the mobo itself and the other connections on the graphics cardShame your's doesn't :-(]

did your onboard 7.1 blow? the back of your pc looks almost identical to mine even the pci-e sound card:thinking:

Sorry that's not my pc :giggle: it's one i found on google images, sorry

boydent999;5861406

Sorry that's not my pc :giggle: it's one i found on google images, sorry … Sorry that's not my pc :giggle: it's one i found on google images, sorry

:w00t: its mine :w00t:

just kiddin.

The PC in the pic above doesn't have on-board VGA does it? I can only see the VGA/DVI out on the graphics card and a serial port on the motherboard backplate ;-)

Its a full-size ATX mobo in that picture, they very rarely have o/b graphics, whereas M-ATX sized almost always do....

jah128;5861449

The PC in the pic above doesn't have on-board VGA does it? I can only … The PC in the pic above doesn't have on-board VGA does it? I can only see the VGA/DVI out on the graphics card and a serial port on the motherboard backplate ;-)

Based on that and that alone, tells me i should leave work and go home :oops:, sorry but thanks for pointing out my stoopidity

I think it's unlikely to be the graphics card if your keyboard isn't being detected, if the only symptoms you had initially were slow down, crashing and shutting down then it may not have been the graphics card at fault at all as those symptoms could have been caused by an overheating CPU or possibly motherboard.

Have you checked the motherboard and CPU heatsinks? Do they look properly connected with no odd gaps or broken pins?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1948
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047083
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767176
      4. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…33

See more discussions