Faulty Hotpoint Cooker (What are my rights)

Found 9th Jan
Hi Guys,

I’ll try and keep this short and too the point. 2 months ago my grandparents had a brand new Hotpoint Cooker fitted by a Hotpoint engineer. After a couple weeks she told them that it was extremely hot, an engineer came out and said it was normal and within all British standards etc.

So she persisted and then around Christmas started complaining about a burning smell, so we pulled the cooker out to discover that it had actually burned! Thank god it didn’t burn the house down.

2874077-YONo3.jpg

Anyways an engineer came out blah blah and we’re now in the process of going through the claims process.

As it stands, the customer service team have said they will reimburse the value of the cooker (£450) but wouldn’t pay for the new cooker to be fitted, nor will they pay for any damage to the Carcus that the new cooker sits on to be replaced... they said they ‘might’ pay a supplement towards these costs as a gesture of good will if they find that the cooker was faulty...

Their reasons being that they won’t fit a cooker they don’t supply (I believe my nana said she didn’t want the same one), and that apparently they can’t be sure that the cooker damaged the plimph that the cooker sits on!! Even though it was fine before they fitted the cooker in October!

Could anyone advise the best and easiest route to take if they still refuse? The ombudsman?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Google Which and Money Saving Expert for advice and template letters

You are due a refund. You are also due compensation for the unit burned by the cooker. Its a safety issue and they cant contractually set that aside. How much you get is a different issue.

Did you pay on a Credit Card? If so, look at your rights to hold the credit card merchant equally liable. This often helps persuade the retailer to cough up.
Basically the cooker was a replacement for a previously broken cooker (previous one they couldn’t get the parts for), so no cash exchanged in the sense of a credit card.

I read online about being covered under the Consumer Protection Act, they didn’t seem to want to entertain it on the phone.
OK. That doesn't change the simple truth which is that they supplied and fitted an unsafe item. Not fit for purpose. Not of Merchantable quality. Those are the key phrases.

Get template letters and send to the CEO and Board inc Non Execs. Don't waste time with call centre staff who have long scripts of get out clauses. Safety, evidenced by your pic, makes this an open and shut case. Pressure can be applied by citing that this reminds you of the cause of the tragedy at Grenfell Towers.

You say its your Nan. Would they prefer your Nan to have died. Get the local rag interested and Trading Standards.
The supplier, fitter and manufacturer (if all 3 are Hotpoint then all the simpler) are all liable for this very fortunate incident - it could have been a lot worse!!

Your Grandparents are in a very strong position - especially as they previously reported their concerns as to the appliance getting hot.

I would write to the supplier and ask them what are they are going to do to rectify the situation to the satisfaction of your Grandparents. I would also say you are doing this before taking legal advise which will be your next action if you find their suggestions unsatisfactory. They are liable for replacement, repair of the damage, compensation for your time, inconvenience and the stress caused. I would expect significant recompensense.
Thanks guys
The other aspect is you could try claiming through your home insurer (hopefully they would sue to recover costs).

Stay away from hotpoint, indesit, beko, candy and those cheap brands. They are cheap because they use cheap parts which barely meet standards and designs that are barely passable.

Buy from more reputable brands like Bosch (it doesn’t make it fully risk free as they do have the occasional defects but it does reduce the risk significantly).

Take it from someone who could have lost their mum two years ago to a house fire due to a faulty non recalled beko product. She made it out luckily having smelt the smoke. 1.5 years later her house has been repaired luckily but she’s been through hell.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Jan
What model was it? Just got a hotpoint cooker and this thing chucks out a lot of heat into the kitchen. Noticeably way more than our last cooker.
Van197314 h, 21 m ago

The supplier, fitter and manufacturer (if all 3 are Hotpoint then all the …The supplier, fitter and manufacturer (if all 3 are Hotpoint then all the simpler) are all liable for this very fortunate incident - it could have been a lot worse!! Your Grandparents are in a very strong position - especially as they previously reported their concerns as to the appliance getting hot.I would write to the supplier and ask them what are they are going to do to rectify the situation to the satisfaction of your Grandparents. I would also say you are doing this before taking legal advise which will be your next action if you find their suggestions unsatisfactory. They are liable for replacement, repair of the damage, compensation for your time, inconvenience and the stress caused. I would expect significant recompensense.

Van197314 h, 21 m ago

The supplier, fitter and manufacturer (if all 3 are Hotpoint then all the …The supplier, fitter and manufacturer (if all 3 are Hotpoint then all the simpler) are all liable for this very fortunate incident - it could have been a lot worse!! Your Grandparents are in a very strong position - especially as they previously reported their concerns as to the appliance getting hot.I would write to the supplier and ask them what are they are going to do to rectify the situation to the satisfaction of your Grandparents. I would also say you are doing this before taking legal advise which will be your next action if you find their suggestions unsatisfactory. They are liable for replacement, repair of the damage, compensation for your time, inconvenience and the stress caused. I would expect significant recompensense.

This advice is spot on, but I would be tempted to add something along the lines of 'and not to mention the significant press and social media interest'
cowsindahouse4 h, 58 m ago

What model was it? Just got a hotpoint cooker and this thing chucks out a …What model was it? Just got a hotpoint cooker and this thing chucks out a lot of heat into the kitchen. Noticeably way more than our last cooker.

Shy 23x I believe
I would also contact your local fire service for them to come out and have a look at what the cooker has done.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants