Faulty iPhone - Deal with EE or go to Apple Store?

Found 26th Dec 2014
Hello everyone,

My mum's iPhone 5c has stopped working, stuck in recovery mode and when it tries to install a firmware it gets stuck two thirds of the way through. Tried everything, older firmware's, hard resets and even left it for 7 hours updating but still no joy.

I've looked on the EE website and it looks like I can pay £25 to have a fast fix usually with 3 working days, otherwise normal turnaround is about 2 weeks.. However, I've been reading online and I think people are suggesting to take it to an Apple Store and they can replace it. I got the phone for a small fee when I upgraded her contract, so I assume my contract is with EE.

I live not to far from Westfields Shepherds Bush so I can visit the Apple Store there today, but I can't see them replacing an iPhone I haven't bought from them.

Any suggestions on the best way to deal with this?

Thanks in advance...

Kind regards,

JP

13 Comments

Just use the Apple Store app to make an appt with an apple genius, they may choose to fix but more likely they'll replace it there and then

try different cable and also laptop/pc and if stilll nothing, go Apple
They're very good with their swap out under warranty
Also Apple do not care whre you buy from -

Yeah the Apple Store will sort it, they will try to flash it first and if it fails you will get a replacement no problem. As long as it is still in the warrantee period of course although they did swap one for me that was a month over.

Original Poster

Thanks guys for your quick response. I've just looked at the Apple App and the closest appointment is Monday 29th. I guess this is the only way to deal with it, or can I just pop in there later and take a gamble? Also will I need to take any documents with me as that might be a mission to find.

Thanks again,

JP

They'll know the purchase date from its activation and that's all they care about

Nope just the phone, they go by serial number (back of phone) so no other bits needed (though it won't hurt taking it)
In the past, they never deal with walk-ins due to strict slots where others are already booked in

Other option is, mini skirt, high heels but thats hit and miss

Type your iPhone serial number into here, to make sure it is still under warranty.

If says out of warranty and it is less than 12months old you need to find the EE invoice and take it along to the appointment, otherwise it is not needed. If it is more than 12months old you will have to talk to EE about it not having lasted a reasonable amount of time.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 26th Dec 2014

Original Poster

aj84

Other option is, mini skirt, high heels but thats hit and miss

In that case I'll send the other half!

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. I will try and call them soon to see if they have any cancelled appointments today, otherwise I'll take it in Monday.

Regards,

JP

merry Christmas
if your iphone is less than 12 months old then apple will gladly exchange your phone. they will know when it was first registered with the serial number.

hope this helps.

Bern is right - first 12 months apple will look at it, for the next 12 months they'll redirect you to the supplier.
As it's a software issue, they'll probably be able to play with it at the Genius Bar. In my experience they don't know every quirky problem or their fixes and you'll get much more joy googling the question (most best solutions are on apple's forums but good ones are found elsewhere).

Comment

DennisG

Bern is right - first 12 months apple will look at it, for the next 12 … Bern is right - first 12 months apple will look at it, for the next 12 months they'll redirect you to the supplier.As it's a software issue, they'll probably be able to play with it at the Genius Bar. In my experience they don't know every quirky problem or their fixes and you'll get much more joy googling the question (most best solutions are on apple's forums but good ones are found elsewhere).

Sorry, may have misworded that. 12 months warranty ie exchange, however Genius Bar will attempt a fix regardless of warranty status.

i would suggest you head to apple as they are the manufacturer, not EE, who are only the contract provider.
apple store will deal with apple products and not just their own sales. they can at least direct you to the correct contact if they can't resolve it in store themselves.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. In the end I went to the Apple Store in Westfield White City (last time I ever go on Boxing Day), and they were able to book an appointment an hour later. They were able to see immediately that I was still in warranty and when it would expire.

The genius connected it up to a MacBook, and the progress bar was stuck again the same point I was having trouble in... But after a few minutes it progressed more and was successfully updated; so no need for a replacement.

Thanks again for your help in getting it sorted.

Kind regards,

JP
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition67731
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…11
    3. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43

See more discussions