faulty phone on christmas day. Repair or replace?

27 replies
Found 27th Dec 2016
We found out on christmas day that our childs apple product was faulty. It was bought over a month before christmas so I am being told by the netowrk provider to take it to Apple direct. Apple have said they will try and repair it but I am not happy that they are going to repair a phone which has a manufacturing problem. It feels wrong.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

27 Comments

If you have an Apple store nearby, book an appointment at the Genius bar, they will strive to keep you happy.

read the sales terms they have chance to repair it. you are claiming on the warranty to them it's a month old as that's when it's sold. if they replace it at Apple it's a refurbished unit anyway..

Original Poster

Yeah we did book it in for this week, Just wanted some feedback before our appointment.

Even ringing the local store they said they would attempt a repair if they can. Its an iphone 5s btw

Even if they swap it for another phone....it will be a reconditioned product.

barga5n h4nter

Yeah we did book it in for this week, Just wanted some feedback before … Yeah we did book it in for this week, Just wanted some feedback before our appointment.Even ringing the local store they said they would attempt a repair if they can. Its an iphone 5s btw

I'm sure you'll have to give them the chance to repair/replace it, as its over 30 days.

Ensure you take your receipt of purchase with you which proves when you purchased it.

I'd be surprised if they had any new 5s handsets in the store, so I think you would have to be happy with a refurb, which to be fair, are as new from Apple (normally).

I've yet to hear someone have a bad experience at the Genius Bar, they always strive to keep the customer happy.

Apple will sort it for you, there customer service is outstanding.

it's extremely rare for a 'manufacturing' fault on a new iphone. their quality assurance is very high.

are you sure it isn't damage from your child like, say, dropping it ? the g'tee won't usually cover accidental damage unless you added it to the phone on purchase.

the service bar is very good. it will be inspected and they will say how long to repair when I took mine in (fingerprint reader failure after 10 months) it was inspected, tested and repaired in about 90 minutes. the genius bar is usually packed and you check in and wait for an adviser to be free even if you have an appointment.

good luck.

Everything above is correct - as far as it goes, but the store that sold it to you IS responsible for getting it repaired; that is the whole point of buying from a shop; you shouldnt have to be traipsing about doing their job for them.

I wouldnt have left the store without either a replacement, an exchange, a refund, or a credit note.

I am just starting a return myself, under similar circumstances - bought a month(ish) ago for Christmas, and dead out of the box when I went to use it today.

Original Poster

thanks for the replies. I guess its a matter of waiting to see what happens. Definitely not damage done by my child. its a faint horizontal straight line of dead pixels across the lcd screen. not the glass etc.

Just my own opinion, but if I bought a brand new phone and it was faulty, I would not accept being given a reconditioned/refurbished one as a replacement

jco83

Just my own opinion, but if I bought a brand new phone and it was faulty, … Just my own opinion, but if I bought a brand new phone and it was faulty, I would not accept being given a reconditioned/refurbished one as a replacement

Problem is though is that its now over 30 days, and it seems its not faulty per se, its damaged, I 'think' a consumer can expect a repair/replacement in this scenario..?

As a matter of interest OP, where was the handset purchased?

Original Poster

andynicol

Problem is though is that its now over 30 days, and it seems its not … Problem is though is that its now over 30 days, and it seems its not faulty per se, its damaged, I 'think' a consumer can expect a repair/replacement in this scenario..?As a matter of interest OP, where was the handset purchased?

I would say its faulty. There is no damage just a straight line of dead pixels. It was an O2 refresh deal, they will not deal with it as device was paid off in full, so is classed as out of contract.

barga5n h4nter

I would say its faulty. There is no damage just a straight line of dead … I would say its faulty. There is no damage just a straight line of dead pixels. It was an O2 refresh deal, they will not deal with it as device was paid off in full, so is classed as out of contract.

I think you will find that Apple view it as damaged as opposed to faulty.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you/they will come to an amicable solution when instore.

Original Poster

also, it may be over 30 days old but it has had about 5 minutes of use as it was a christmas present, as soon as she noticed the 'fault' we boxed it back up ready to be inspected by apple

barga5n h4nter

I would say its faulty. There is no damage just a straight line of dead … I would say its faulty. There is no damage just a straight line of dead pixels. It was an O2 refresh deal, they will not deal with it as device was paid off in full, so is classed as out of contract.

Straight from O2 website ;

'If your product develops a fault within 30 days, we'll either give you a brand new replacement or your money back. It’s up to you. If it’s been more than 30 days, we'll try to get it fixed for you. You might have to pay in some cases, but we'll let you know beforehand. You’ll also have to pay for any chargeable browsing, texts or calls you’ve made.

We’ll do your repair as quickly as we can, but need the time to do a great job. You might be able to borrow a replacement while you wait. Ask in one of our stores for more details.

If you have a problem with an iPhone then we have five stores around the UK that are also Authorised Apple Repair partners. These stores can perform iPhone repairs by trained staff and you could even get your phone fixed the very same day.'

source

Edited by: "andynicol" 27th Dec 2016

barga5n h4nter

also, it may be over 30 days old but it has had about 5 minutes of use as … also, it may be over 30 days old but it has had about 5 minutes of use as it was a christmas present, as soon as she noticed the 'fault' we boxed it back up ready to be inspected by apple

Irrelevant.

Its the date of purchase that matters unfortunately.

Edited by: "andynicol" 27th Dec 2016

Original Poster

yeah we did read that, but O2 staff have told us it is not their responsibility now as we paid off the device contract and cancelled the airtime.

Original Poster

Also, I prefer to deal with Apple direct rather than get O2 to ship it around the country with no timescales or pricing info up front.

barga5n h4nter

yeah we did read that, but O2 staff have told us it is not their … yeah we did read that, but O2 staff have told us it is not their responsibility now as we paid off the device contract and cancelled the airtime.

They've fobbed you off, they are the seller so it is there responsibility.

That said, I would also prefer to go direct to Apple.

barga5n h4nter

yeah we did read that, but O2 staff have told us it is not their … yeah we did read that, but O2 staff have told us it is not their responsibility now as we paid off the device contract and cancelled the airtime.

​bo**ocks. if you'd have bought it outright they would still have responsibilities as mentioned previously under the consumer protection laws. go in store and insist they sort either a replacement or arrange a repair

barga5n h4nter

Liers its o2 problem to sort out even after 30 days your been fobbed off telling you to go to apple !

Original Poster

unless o2 can get me a new device i will just go to Apple direct anyway, it will be quicker and easier

Lifted directly from Which....

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

You can choose whether you want the goods to be repaired or replaced.

But the retailer can refuse if they can show that your choice is disproportionately expensive compared to the alternative.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

Despite what I posted above, I'd be inclined to go to an Apple Store anyway. My son's IPhone 5s stopped working recently and wouldn't pick up a network signal. I had bought it from EBay 12 months ago and it was already 2 years old at that point. I took it into Apple and they replaced it without a quibble even though it was well out of warranty. It had a few chips and scratches on it too and I was expecting them to say that there was nothing they could do. I was very impressed with how they dealt with it.

INDUSTRYHATER

Apple will sort it for you, there customer service is outstanding.

This is one of the reasons Apple cost a bit more.you will get great service. I had an issue with my son's 5s and they swapped it for a new one - NOT a reconditioned one.

Apple won't mess about will just swap out instore.
Done this about 3 times a good 10-11 months after buying regardless of where I bought.

I had an issue with my 6s last year which was just over a month old. Took it to the Apple shop and they replaced it with a brand new one.

If you bought it as a Christmas present and hence it was only activated recently then this might be worth explaining as well.

Not sure if it makes any difference to you but take the original box with you. If they do give you a brand new phone then ask for the new box in exchange for your old one. This will mean the IMEI numbers will match.

Edited by: "Caulcano" 28th Dec 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522873
    2. Add one, leave one game54415444
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604816
    4. Hope of a cure for asthma713

See more discussions