Posted 9th Dec 2021
Sorry, another issue with my Citroen C4 Picasso (diesel).

Around two months ago, my garage told me that one of the pins on my rear bulb holder had burnt through and
3846815_1.jpg that I needed to get another one - the car was indicating really fast when wanting to drive to the left. After much difficulty, I managed to find one and was able to fit it myself after watching an online video - the bulb holder worked fine then.

Several weeks later, the fast ticking appeared again (bulb was changed but still ticking fast). At the time, my car had broken down (injector had to later be replaced), however, I mentioned the faulty indicator and the breakdown man said that the bulb holder and bulb looked fine. He then tested the wiring/cable that pushes into the bulb holder and said that no power was going through it at all. He gave the wiring/cable a bit of a wiggle/slight pull and the indicator started to work again.

It worked fine for a couple of weeks, then two days ago, it started ticking fast again. I have a lot of wiring and some fuses inside a pull-down compartment where the front passenger sits, so I just gave the whole lot a gentle wiggle and the indicator came back on normally. This morning it was driving fine (the left indicator), but after about 15 minutes it started to tick quickly again. This time, however, on wiggling the wiring like I did before, it didn't solve the issue. I'm just wondering if there is a loose wire for the rear light/indicator cluster amongst this bundle of wiring? Does anybody know if it is a simple/cheap fix, or is it going to cost me a lot of money to get the wiring for the light cluster checked out?

I have attached a photo of the the wiring/cables/fuses (there is another clump of wires behind the yellow connector/bit on the left-side of the photo) which is where the issue seems to be coming from (all of my other lights, etc, are working fine). I don't know what the fuses in the photo are actually for - is one of them for the rear light cluster? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
23 Comments
  1. Avatar
    No one could possibly diagnose from a photo, you need a auto electrician, he/she will trace/pinpoint what sounds like a loose/broken wire and fix it for you.
  2. Avatar
    Could be any part of the circuit including the indicator stalk or more than likely a relay.

I doubt a repetitive fast flahing fault would "indicate" a loose wire.

Also there is a lot on the net about loose earthing & the bulb being fitted the wrong wattage (should be 21watts).
    Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 9th Dec
  3. Avatar
    Fast flashing can be caused by poor earthing. Try adding another earth wire. Use one these on the bulb side of the connector ( not the car side, you want to bypass the connector). Connect it to the chassis, any bare metal - loosen a screw put cable underneath and tighten over top. These connectors don't break the wire you are leeching off.

25x Blue Scotch Lock Wire Connectors Quick Splice Terminals Crimp Electrical amazon.co.uk/dp/B007ZDM4R2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_J8QVCJFWA1S8NC5V1PJX
    46349745_1.jpg
    Edited by: "Ringfinger" 9th Dec
  4. Avatar
    Fast flashing on wife's Peugeot was due to a box of cheap Chinese bulbs. Buggers were hard to diagnose because it was intermittent. Bought a set of mixed bulbs from Lidl on special and replaced the indicator bulb and never had a problem again.

Well it's a Peugeot so there's other problems, but not with this bulb
  5. Avatar
    Check bulb issues by swapping left /right bulbs.

Could be the earth could be the wire but needs someone with a multimeter to check it.
  6. Avatar
    Try contact cleaner and halfords sell.

Always a good idea to remove ground on battery but check that your car don't need main dealer to setup when you reconnect battery. If so maybe look at options but contact cleaner may sort the connection issues if they have got dirty
    Edited by: "wayners" 9th Dec
  7. Avatar
    Willy_Wonka09/12/2021 16:07

Could be any part of the circuit including the indicator stalk or more …Could be any part of the circuit including the indicator stalk or more than likely a relay.I doubt a repetitive fast flahing fault would "indicate" a loose wire.Also there is a lot on the net about loose earthing & the bulb being fitted the wrong wattage (should be 21watts).

It could be a lose wire, They generally blink faster when there is a light out and a lose wire could cause a light not to work hence flashing faster etc..

Any leds been fitted on the car at all? I recall I put some led DRLs in my last car and it caused my rear brake lights to come on. Was to do with the canbus system.
  8. Avatar
    .MUFC.09/12/2021 18:01

It could be a lose wire, They generally blink faster when there is a light …It could be a lose wire, They generally blink faster when there is a light out and a lose wire could cause a light not to work hence flashing faster etc..Any leds been fitted on the car at all? I recall I put some led DRLs in my last car and it caused my rear brake lights to come on. Was to do with the canbus system.

You might be right but a loose wire would be random flashing sequences not repetative behaviour.

I suppose it comes down to how you read the information presented.
    Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 9th Dec
  9. Avatar
    Willy_Wonka09/12/2021 18:13

You might be right but a loose wire would be random flashing sequences not …You might be right but a loose wire would be random flashing sequences not repetative behaviour.I suppose it comes down to how you read the information presented.

Could be intermittent, A wiggle here and there seems to have solved the issue briefly.
  10. Avatar
    I'm just wondering if there is a loose wire for the rear light/indicator cluster amongst this bundle of wiring?
    Try them one at a time, which specific wire causes the connection to come and go

Does anybody know if it is a simple/cheap fix, or is it going to cost me a lot of money to get the wiring for the light cluster checked out?
    £150
  11. Avatar
    Check all the pins on all the connectors to see if any of the pins have been pushed back. Best to disconnect each connector in turn to check both sides.

If your previous connector was burnt it could have burnt a pin on the connector or burnt the actual copper wire strands within the cable.

Rather then wiggle in the general area try wiggling each wire in turn to see if you can identify a wire that is causing the issue then concentrate on that wire.
  12. Avatar
    Rather than start guessing, go to a small auto electrician, experience tells me it will cost a little more initially, but save quite a bit long term!

ftr it sounds like a snapped wire to me or bad earth, considreing it comes back on when you wiggle the cable.
  13. Avatar
    Author
    Thank you for all of your advice. I know that I did briefly wiggle the bunch of wires (in the photo), but is that actually dangerous - just wondering if I could get electrocuted or something if I fiddle with those wires for too long?
  14. Avatar
    Sophiasky09/12/2021 20:00

Thank you for all of your advice. I know that I did briefly wiggle the …Thank you for all of your advice. I know that I did briefly wiggle the bunch of wires (in the photo), but is that actually dangerous - just wondering if I could get electrocuted or something if I fiddle with those wires for too long?

Fiddling with a bunch of wires all doing different things that you don't know of is a very bad idea.
  15. Avatar
    Sophiasky09/12/2021 20:00

Thank you for all of your advice. I know that I did briefly wiggle the …Thank you for all of your advice. I know that I did briefly wiggle the bunch of wires (in the photo), but is that actually dangerous - just wondering if I could get electrocuted or something if I fiddle with those wires for too long?

12v probably wouldn't kill you but the amps might!

No seriously the worse that is likely to happen would be you'd blow a fuse. However ideally you need a multimeter and an idea how to use one. It's probably best to see an auto electrician. Probably take them 5 minutes to solve it.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 9th Dec
  16. Avatar
    Author
    Thank you all for the advice. I will have to try to sort this out when I have a bit of free time. An update - I drove the car this morning and the left indicator worked normally again, drove around for around an hour and it's still fine, but will still get it looked at in the near future (MOT is due next month as well).
    Edited by: "Sophiasky" 10th Dec
  17. Avatar
    .MUFC.09/12/2021 21:38

12v probably wouldn't kill you but the amps might!

I once parked in my garage handbrake on and out of gear and the engine basically went to full revs and in a panic I lifted the bonnet and pulled one of the HT leads and boy did I wish I hadn't, the shock was something I don't wish to experience ever again.
  18. Avatar
    Raptorman10/12/2021 11:41

I once parked in my garage handbrake on and out of gear and the engine …I once parked in my garage handbrake on and out of gear and the engine basically went to full revs and in a panic I lifted the bonnet and pulled one of the HT leads and boy did I wish I hadn't, the shock was something I don't wish to experience ever again.

Ouch, They can stop and start an heart!
  19. Avatar
    .MUFC.10/12/2021 11:51

Ouch, They can stop and start an heart!

I was lucky, it felt like my arm had been blown off.
  20. Avatar
    Raptorman10/12/2021 11:41

I once parked in my garage handbrake on and out of gear and the engine …I once parked in my garage handbrake on and out of gear and the engine basically went to full revs and in a panic I lifted the bonnet and pulled one of the HT leads and boy did I wish I hadn't, the shock was something I don't wish to experience ever again.

bit different to an indicator wire though - I've had that shock before, you tend not to do it twice - insulated pliers are the way forward
  21. Avatar
    GLITTER
Post a comment
Top Merchants