Groups

Favoirite childhood books

Looking for a couple of lengthier books to read to my almost 5 year old son as an upgrade from small "bedtime stories" collections that are just a few pages long.
    What were your favourite childhood stories or what do you perhaps read to your kids of a similar age now?

36 Comments

anything Roald Dahl..try James and the Giant peach..

stephb88

Favoirite childhood books

I am guessing you didn't read a dictionary very often.

Not much story, but it explains every word as you progress.

goldilocks & the 3 bears.Kids love that!

Or Mr.Men books are really good

Roald dahl. Fantastic Mr Fox

fanpages

I am guessing you didn't read a dictionary very often.Not much story, but … I am guessing you didn't read a dictionary very often.Not much story, but it explains every word as you progress.

gessing its ur favoorite

Roald Dahl. The Twits, BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, et al.

davewave

gessing its ur favoorite

I haven't read a fiction book in almost 35 years... & only about ten in my entire life (most of which were mandatory reading material at Secondary School).

Cops & Robbers!
    I actually still have my book from when I was 5/6 and I read it to my kids now, they love it.

Stick man, my daughter never gets bored of this book

Beatrix Potter would be perfect if your son likes animals or as others have said Roald Dahl maybe Enid Blyton, though her books but seem a bit dated now.

I loved the Winnie the Pooh and Paddington books.

Peace at Last, and James and the Giant Peach.

Original Poster

fanpages

I am guessing you didn't read a dictionary very often.Not much story, but … I am guessing you didn't read a dictionary very often.Not much story, but it explains every word as you progress.

I was actually sat outside his school waiting for him to finish football club and the glare on my screen means I didn't notice the typo. I don't use predictive text, apologies for my grave error.

Everyone else, thanks for suggestions. Don't know why I didn't think of Roald Dahl. He loves the Gruffalo books and has seen the Stick Man dvd so that's another good one.

Original Poster

squiff

Peace at Last, and James and the Giant Peach.

Peace at Last was on his "Must Reads" for the year at school so we've already dome that but thanks, good suggestion. Going to try James and the Giant Peach woth a couple of others.

Original Poster

pink_elephant

Cops & Robbers! I actually still have my book from when I was 5/6 and I … Cops & Robbers! I actually still have my book from when I was 5/6 and I read it to my kids now, they love it.

I've not heard of this one! Will look it up...

My boys absolutely loved hairy mcclarey books, they 6 & 8 now and still enjoy them.

stephb88

I've not heard of this one! Will look it up...

It's fab! Here's a link to penguin books but obviously there available elsewhere. penguin.co.uk/lad…rs/

Loved Faraway Tree stories by Enid Blyton

Was just thinking the same thing! Faraway Tree or secret seven by Blyton would be mine. Gonna have to buy them again for my little boy soon!

Yep, Faraway Tree series for me too, also anything by David Williams and Roald Dahl.

You want these - thebookpeople.co.uk/web…706

There are also some that have been 'aged' for you e.g.
    whsmith.co.uk/sea…rue

When he's slightly older you can get the Wimpy kid books and the Horrid Henry ones.

Edited by: "caroline777upnorth" 7th Jun

My lad loves the captain underpants books, easy read for them to follow and interjected with short comic style sections.

Definitely Dahl books, Fantastic Mr Fox, the twits, Georges marvelous medicine and Danny the champion of the world. Last two are great books for boys, I loved them anyway.

gotta be the Faraway Tree books

especially good if you havent read them yourself yet as well

Original Poster

caroline777upnorth

You want these - … You want these - https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=410452&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&topCatId=116707&categoryId=128706There are also some that have been 'aged' for you e.g. https://www.whsmith.co.uk/search?keywordCategoryId=&keywords=Funny%20Stories%20for%206%20Year%20Olds%20%20Helen%20Paiba&results=60&page=1&performSearch=trueWhen he's slightly older you can get the Wimpy kid books and the Horrid Henry ones.

Thanks for the links, cheapest I've seen the RD collection, too.
    Edited by: "stephb88" 7th Jun

Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like hes going to be at 4pm just to get through them!

The Snow Lion! Beautiful book don't know if it's available anymore but I looooooovvved that book so much

Has to be the owl who was afraid of the dark,still my favourite now

mod

janer19804 m ago

Has to be the owl who was afraid of the dark,still my favourite now

I remember our teacher reading this to us at primary

The Coral Island - RM Ballantyne.

Owl babies, tiger who came to tea, funnybones,

pink_elephant

Cops & Robbers! I actually still have my book from when I was 5/6 and I … Cops & Robbers! I actually still have my book from when I was 5/6 and I read it to my kids now, they love it.

You just brought back some childhood memories of this and burglar Bill too!

I adored Nellie the Elephant and The Tiger Who Came To Tea. But as others have said Roald Dahl. He was a firm favourite especially George's Marvellous Medicine

Green eggs and ham and goosebumps

Argoj

My lad loves the captain underpants books, easy read for them to follow … My lad loves the captain underpants books, easy read for them to follow and interjected with short comic style sections.

My son loved these books. He is really looking forward to seeing the movie! He is taking his 4 year old cousin because he is now 21 and said it would be weird if he went on his own.

George's marvellous medicine, the owl who was afraid of the dark , the tree that walked. All bring back good memories
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 391414
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64532
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1133
      4. Win A Galaxy Note 8 With Caseology & AndroidHeadlines *** ENDS TODAY ***22

See more discussions