Groups

FC Porto vs Manchester United

Here we go again.

(if your an arrogant/overconfdent/mouthy united fan,xxxx off, I dont want you in my thread, likewise if your a bitter scouser) this is for decent football banter and genuine predictions.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says Rio Ferdinand will start Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final second leg against Porto.

Ferdinand missed last week's 2-2 draw because of a groin injury.

"It gets us back the partnership between Rio and Nemanja Vidic, which has been the cornerstone of our great defensive performances," said Ferguson.

Anderson and full-back Rafael da Silva, who have both been carrying injuries, are also in United's squad.

The return of Ferdinand, who has also had to contend with a niggling back injury, is a welcome piece of good news for Ferguson.

United went 14 games without conceding a goal earlier in the season, but injuries and suspensions in defence have seen them let the opposition score in their last five matches.

"We think Rio is fit," said Ferguson.

"He trained on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and he will start (on Wednesday).

"There is a lot of quality in Rio's game, so he is obviously going to make a difference."

United are aiming to become the first English team to beat Porto on their own ground.

The Portuguese side, who are unbeaten in 20 matches and are closing in on a fourth domestic league title in a row, are missing just one player, defender Jorge Fucile.

But Porto will have coach Jesualdo Ferreira watching on from the stands at the Estadio do Dragao as he serves a touchline ban imposed by Uefa.

Ferreira was initially suspended for two matches after he gestured toward the referee when a Porto goal was disallowed during an earlier Champions League match against Atletico Madrid on 24 February.

--------------------------------

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda.

BIG MATCH STATS
    If past history is anything to go by, holders Manchester United statistically have only a 16% chance of progressing to the semis, following their 2-2 draw against FC Porto at Old Trafford.

This is the fourth time FC Porto and Manchester United have been drawn against each other in European competition. Porto have prevailed on two occasions, knocking United out of the 1977-78 Cup Winners' Cup and the 2003-04 Champions League. United eliminated the Portuguese club at the quarter-final stage of the 1996-97 Champions League.

Porto have never lost at home to Manchester United , winning 4-0 in 1977, drawing 0-0 20 years later and winning 2-1 in 2004.

Current squad members Wes Brown, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes (who scored in the home leg), John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher and Cristiano Ronaldo all played for United during the second round matches with Porto in 2004. Porto's only survivor from those matches is Pedro Emanuel who came on in the 36th minute of the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.

Porto are unbeaten in 12 European home matches against English clubs, winning five and drawing seven.

Manchester United have visited Portugal nine times, winning four, drawing one and losing four. Their most recent visit resulted in a 1-0 win at Sporting during the 2007-08 CL group phase.

CLUB FORM
    PORTO

Can become the first team from outside Spain, England and Italy to reach the Champions League semi-finals, since PSV in 2005.

Unbeaten away from home in the Champions League since their last visit to England; a 4-0 defeat by Arsenal in September last year.

Undefeated in six CL matches since losing 1-0 at home to Dynamo Kiev last October, but have not won in their last three.

--------------------------------

MANCHESTER UNITED

Playing in their 10th Champions League quarter-final, a record for the competition.

Played more matches in all competitions this season, than any of the other seven quarter-finalists. Their 54 games is 11 more than that of Porto.

Playing their 150th match in the competition.

Unbeaten in 22 Champions League matches. This is a record for all European competitions (excluding the Super League), eclipsing Juventus' record (20) which was set in 1972.

Unbeaten away from home in the competition for nearly two years since a 3-0 defeat by AC Milan. The 10-match unbeaten streak is the second longest in Champions League history, bettered only by Ajax's 14 match unbeaten streak away from home between 1994 and 1997.

Recorded goalless draws in both of their last two CL away matches and have not won in their last three away games in the competition.

KEY PLAYER NOTES
    Seven Porto players have played in every match of their club's CL campaign this season with two - Bruno Alves and Rolando - playing every minute.

Cristian Rodriguez, Ionut Sapunaru and Hulk will be suspended for the first leg of the semi-final, if Porto qualify.

Manchester United's Brazilian midfielder Anderson played three matches for Porto in the 2006-07 Champions League.

Wayne Rooney is the only United player to have played in all nine of the club's matches in this season's Champions League.

He will be suspended for the first leg of the semi-final, if United get through.

OTHER MISCELLANEOUS FACTS
    This match will be Sir Alex Ferguson's 150th in the Champions League. No other head coach comes anywhere near this total with Arsene Wenger the only other person to take charge of more than 100 matches in the competition. Arsenal's second leg against Villarreal will be Wenger's 116th.

Manchester United can reach the semi-final stage of the Champions League for the sixth time, to equal AC Milan's record. Progress to the last four for Barcelona, has also seen the Spanish side equal this record.

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.
    Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.
    European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).
    Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

MinstrelMan says: FC Porto 1 - 2 Manchester United.

I have a good feeling about tonight (and those same feelings did well yesterday)

88 Comments

Yeah, I think Utd will clinch it.

Doubt it will be a pretty game, but neither was last night's and that was superb! lol

i hope they start with Da Silva too. need someone with speed on the right.

landofdan;4928509

i hope they start with Da Silva too. need someone with speed on the right.

He's been a breath of fresh air this season.

Gary Neville is so past his best now.

Banned

In the words of Martin Tyler.....

"Macheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedahhhhhhhhhhhhh"

This is Porto's game to lose. I reckon Man Utd will be going out.

If Porto score first, it will be interesting to see how the already fragile confidence of a few Utd players affects them . . . . but I expect Utd to secure a Semi final place nevertheless . . . .

Supermod

United 2-1.

Original Poster

I buy into media hype anyway, but having looked at the betting odds for tonight, United are favorites to win.

personally think man utd will take it!

Banned

vibeone;4928560

In the words of Martin … In the words of Martin Tyler....."Macheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedahhhhhhhhhhhhh"

soccerclips.net/en/…eda

if Porto take the game to Man Utd like Sunderland did in patches at the weekend then they really will struggle.

Banned

hopefully in the same way the confidence was shattered by Juventus going 2 nil at home

Original Poster

vibeone;4928694

http://www.soccerclips.net/en/videos/man-utd-3-2-aston-villa-macheda

You couldnt wish for a better finish on your debut could you?

take a bow son. :thumbsup:

seen as fergie likes to put rooney on a wing in european nights i'd like to see him and tevez rather than berbatov, it'd do me.

Macheda, tevez, rooney, ronaldo, anderson, carrick..... doesnt matter what the defence is, with the exception of the new kid that attacking combination should be able to outscore any team in the world.

plus with evra and da silva overlapping, its a mouthwatering prospect. :thumbsup:

or we can rely on nemanja the wreckin ball to score from a corner if all else fails. :whistling:

Banned

Porto 3 Man Ure 2

I think it will be tough but we have to go for it. We are due an impressive performance as of late we have been grinding out wins. I hope it is half as good as the game was last night. Credit to both Chelsea and Liverpool for a fantastic spectacle for neutral supporters.

Missing Fletcher will be a loss IMO. Along with Rooney they were the only two that turned up for the home leg.

My Prediction 1-3 United. Rooney, Tevez, and Carrick on the scoresheet

Original Poster

kemo;4928907

Missing Fletcher will be a loss IMO.

Not bad when you can fill that spot with Anderson though is it?

I think united will have to up their game, if so they can nick a win...its going to be a nervous night but 2-1 win for the reds will see us through.

4-3-3 to give some control in midfield. Rooney down the center, Renaldo keep yer head up !

We might just scrape it 2-1 :evil:

kemo;4928907

I think it will be tough but we have to go for it. We are due an … I think it will be tough but we have to go for it. We are due an impressive performance as of late we have been grinding out wins. I hope it is half as good as the game was last night. Credit to both Chelsea and Liverpool for a fantastic spectacle for neutral supporters.Missing Fletcher will be a loss IMO. Along with Rooney they were the only two that turned up for the home leg.My Prediction 1-3 United. Rooney, Tevez, and Carrick on the scoresheet

Are you having a laugh? He's horrible! Only player Utd have worse then him is the also incredibly overrated Wes Brown.

Anderson would do a much better job, probably relishing the prospect of turning out in front of his old supporters again.

Banned

MinstrelMan;4929192

good, dont let the door hit ya ass on the way out, luv.As a woman you … good, dont let the door hit ya ass on the way out, luv.As a woman you have no business being in a football related thread anyway :w00t::p

I've reported your original post too. No need for it, and all it does it make YOU look daft.

Original Poster

vibeone;4929266

I've reported your original post too. No need for it, and all it does it … I've reported your original post too. No need for it, and all it does it make YOU look daft.

well given the threads from yesterday and last week, theres one thing I hate just as much as a cockey scouser, and thats a cockey united fan comming out with we WILL win and 17-0 yada yada yada.

I can live with looking daft..... I do so on regular occurances :lol:

Banned

MinstrelMan;4929295

well given the threads from yesterday and last week, theres one thing I … well given the threads from yesterday and last week, theres one thing I hate just as much as a cockey scouser, and thats a cockey united fan comming out with we WILL win and 17-0 yada yada yada.I can live with looking daft..... I do so on regular occurances :lol:

I've noticed.

But seriously... I'm a Utd fan, and I have no problem with your premise, just how you put it is unsuitable and unnecessary.

Original Poster

vibeone;4929321

I've noticed.But seriously... I'm a Utd fan, and I have no problem with … I've noticed.But seriously... I'm a Utd fan, and I have no problem with your premise, just how you put it is unsuitable and unnecessary.

you trialing for a mod position?

Banned

MinstrelMan;4929339

you trialing for a mod position?

No.

You're really struggling to get this aren't you? Your own behaviour is no different to the people you were 'warning off'.

It's that simple.

Original Poster

and theres the irony........

vibeone;4929321

But seriously... I'm a Utd fan, and I have no problem with your premise, … But seriously... I'm a Utd fan, and I have no problem with your premise, just how you put it is unsuitable and unnecessary.

OP might be a little OTT... However, u have to admit it does seem to be working :thumbsup:

Original Poster

yeah and now we're off topic, quality football banter only please people.

Banned

zermattbusby;4929397

OP might be a little OTT... However, u have to admit it does seem to be … OP might be a little OTT... However, u have to admit it does seem to be working :thumbsup:

Nah... I think its just 1pm in the afternoon... kids are out playing still!

Original Poster

vibeone;4929428

Nah... I think its just 1pm in the afternoon... kids are out playing … Nah... I think its just 1pm in the afternoon... kids are out playing still!

clocks went forward a couple of week ago :thumbsup:

Banned

MinstrelMan;4929450

clocks went forward a couple of week ago :thumbsup:

I round down

Porto 1 Man U 2 - posted by a gloating Chelsea boy lmao

Original Poster

vibeone;4929507

I round down

by 57 minutes? :w00t:

Original Poster

Humphman;4929514

posted by a gloating Chelsea boy

dammit! missed that out of the OP! :lol:

LMAO didnt realise there was a man-utd thread like my gooner one, reckon utd will win 2-0 having vidic and rio back is a massive plus for utd, as an arsenal fan would prefer porto but hey we know utd will win

hornblowerracing;4929259

Are you having a laugh? He's horrible! Only player Utd have worse then … Are you having a laugh? He's horrible! Only player Utd have worse then him is the also incredibly overrated Wes Brown.Anderson would do a much better job, probably relishing the prospect of turning out in front of his old supporters again.

WTF?

Flecther >>>>>>> Anderson

Anderson hasn't done anything since arriving at Old Trafford.

And how is Wes Brown overrated? IMO he is Man Utd most missed player this season. He was SOLID last season and vastly contributed to Man Utd's success.

IS IT ON SKY ?
    CAPS

The JFK;4929757

WTF?Flecther AndersonAnderson hasn't done anything since arriving at Old … WTF?Flecther >>>>>>> AndersonAnderson hasn't done anything since arriving at Old Trafford. And how is Wes Brown overrated? IMO he is Man Utd most missed player this season. He was SOLID last season and vastly contributed to Man Utd's success.

They are terrible.

Brown was great up until he broke his leg, hasn't been anything near the same player since. Yes he's been played out of position, but still nowhere near as good as Rafael.

And funny, the Utd fanboys were all raving about how great Anderson was last year. He's struggled with injury too this year, but give him 5 or 6 starts in a row and he'll start to show what he is capable of.

Anyone else rate Fletcher?

Also, any Man Utd fans here actually born or brought up in Manchester?

I know 4 or 5 lads from there and they all support City! :thumbsup:

Banned

if your an arrogant/overconfdent/mouthy united fan, f**k off

haha...

btw ill be cheering for arsenal...

Banned

hornblowerracing;4930323

Also, any Man Utd fans here actually born or brought up in Manchester?I … Also, any Man Utd fans here actually born or brought up in Manchester?I know 4 or 5 lads from there and they all support City! :thumbsup:

yeh i think dog_cop is from manc he is a city man to
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047149
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767372
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2464
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)62482

See more discussions