Groups

Fed up with cold callers..what can I do?

I'm totally fed up with cold callers. not content with ringing my home phone I get them on my mobile. My mobile was ringing with some unknown number 3 times a day for the last ten days...at work its generally on silent so I don't answer...in the end i got it answered and hung up within 2 seconds and the calls have stopped. but it's like 5pm on a Sunday and Ive just had another to my home phone. I'm getting 1 or 2 a day and its bugging the hell outa me. I am already registered with TPS, any clues as to what else I can do?
    I don't even entertain them...I pick the phone up let them say who they are and hang up...or if I'm feeling evil put the phone down on the sofa and let them waffle until they hang up!

35 Comments

"or if I'm feeling evil put the phone down on the sofa and let them waffle until they hang up!"
    brilliant!!:evil:

Was going to suggest registering with TPS, but you already are...

telehone preferential service, its near the front of your phonebook, I use it and dont get any at all.
    sorry, didnt read your post properly

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;3544775

Was going to suggest registering with TPS, but you already are...

I know...:? maybe if i re enter all my details

Original Poster

skusey;3544782

telehone preferential service, its near the front of your phonebook, I … telehone preferential service, its near the front of your phonebook, I use it and dont get any at all

Do you think after a certain amount of time they start up again? I'm already supposedly registered

There are sevices you can sign up to that will take your name of databases but i found a school type whistle works well when blown hard into the phone when you answer a cold caller ( might by a bit difficult at work though)

if you can put up with asking them where they are calling from & then tell them you are registered with TPS & will be reporting them. Otherwise not a lot else other than what you are doing.

Original Poster

mikebike;3544792

There are sevices you can sign up to that will take your name of … There are sevices you can sign up to that will take your name of databases but i found a school type whistle works well when blown hard into the phone when you answer a cold caller ( might by a bit difficult at work though)

Nice idea :thumbsup:

I've taken to not ansering the phone sometimes and letting the answerphone screen people, then my mother complains...why didn't you pick up!!! lol

I Give The Phone To My 3 Year Old

Original Poster

raptorcigs;3544830

lol, can I borrow him for a week. I don't have a small child to oblige.

raptorcigs;3544830

lol...

Not sure if this works, but be like one of those businesses and get one of those 08 numbers, so when they call you, divert them to that and you will be reeling in money :D:D:D

I have a hold system on my phone thats a gr8 way to put them off

Banned

if you register with TPS they will stop until of course you re-enter your phone number into somewhere else (like internet sites etc,etc

sassie;3545148

if you register with TPS they will stop until of course you re-enter your … if you register with TPS they will stop until of course you re-enter your phone number into somewhere else (like internet sites etc,etc

hello you! WTF have you been? :-D

Original Poster

sassie;3545148

if you register with TPS they will stop until of course you re-enter your … if you register with TPS they will stop until of course you re-enter your phone number into somewhere else (like internet sites etc,etc

so do you reckon if I just keep registering and being more careful with my number it should ease up?

Banned

bitseylango;3545168

hello you! WTF have you been? :-D

hello back ;-) Not about much these days ;-)

Banned

bellabonkers;3545183

so do you reckon if I just keep registering and being more careful with … so do you reckon if I just keep registering and being more careful with my number it should ease up?

when i registered they al stopped, when they started again and i rang them they said as soon as you register somewhere with your phone number you go back inot the system, so pretty pointless, i dont get many really but if i do i just say no thanks and hang up

sassie;3545186

hello back ;-) Not about much these days ;-)

Im still here but half the time i feel like im ******* invisible! :roll:

Banned

bitseylango;3545210

Im still here but half the time i feel like im ******* invisible! :roll:

I meant im not about much - lol

But yes i get what ya mean ;-)

i hate cold callers

I know how you feel, almost as bad as cold callers calling at the house who wont take no for an answer.
    I'm just insanely rude & tell them to F off, they must take me off their list as they never call back!

Get rehearsing and do this:

]http//ww…-TI

remember TPS isnt something companies have to adhere to.

Banned

lyzzys321;3544805

if you can put up with asking them where they are calling from & then … if you can put up with asking them where they are calling from & then tell them you are registered with TPS & will be reporting them. Otherwise not a lot else other than what you are doing.

Correct. They can be fined £5000 so will soon stop calling oce you say you are reporting them.

Banned

Titchimp;3545660

All UK companies have to.

Welcome to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS)
    The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls to your home or mobile telephone numbers. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

robtallica;3545656

Get rehearsing and do this:]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI

That was brilliant :lol:

csiman;3545691

All UK companies have to. Welcome to the Telephone … All UK companies have to. Welcome to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls to your home or mobile telephone numbers. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

Sorry, i should have been more specific. At my company we check even our own customers against TPS when we are putting together telemarketing compaigns, its not a legal requirement though because as a customer of the company we are solicited unless otherwise notified.

stgeorge;3545716

That was brilliant :lol:

I love the Arnold Schwarzenneger Vs drunk guy prank call on youtube too. They have a machine playing quotes from all his movies in response to this drunk dude. Darth Vader calls microsoft customer services is also good:thumbsup:

Banned

Titchimp;3545810

Sorry, i should have been more specific. At my company we check even our … Sorry, i should have been more specific. At my company we check even our own customers against TPS when we are putting together telemarketing compaigns, its not a legal requirement though because as a customer of the company we are solicited unless otherwise notified.

From what the Op said I thought she was complaining about cold callers, ie callers who she has no existing relationship with. In this case it is a legal requirement.

Original Poster

Titchimp;3545660

csiman;3545673

Correct. They can be fined £5000 so will soon stop calling oce you say … Correct. They can be fined £5000 so will soon stop calling oce you say you are reporting them.

csiman;3545691

All UK companies have to. Welcome to the Telephone Preference … All UK companies have to. Welcome to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls to your home or mobile telephone numbers. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

so which is true? I would have thought it was an infringment of my right's. I'm going to end up giving someone a mouth full one of these days.:oops:

bellabonkers;3549408

so which is true? I would have thought it was an infringment of my … so which is true? I would have thought it was an infringment of my right's. I'm going to end up giving someone a mouth full one of these days.:oops:

I'd like to know the same thing.

I'm registered with the TPS & I get calls from this 0844 number up to 4 times every single day. If I answer they hang up straight away. It's driving me nuts!

I just wish they'd stay on the phone so that I could give them a mouthful!

a whistle :thumbsup:

Banned

bellabonkers;3549408

so which is true? I would have thought it was an infringment of my … so which is true? I would have thought it was an infringment of my right's. I'm going to end up giving someone a mouth full one of these days.:oops:

Zoe_B;3549476

I'd like to know the same thing.

This is 100% correct

Welcome to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS)
    The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls to your home or mobile telephone numbers. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

Call the 0844 number sand tell them you have reported them. They will stop calling.

Alternatively:-

How can I reduce the receipt of silent calls? There is a separate service called Silent CallGard. You can register with them by calling 0870 4443969.

It may be that some of the companies calling you are foreign?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow922
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876397
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7251373
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2543

See more discussions