FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed

Found 21st Aug 2017
I won a competition to win a camera from a US based company. It arrived the next week via FedEx but today I have received a Duty & Tax invoice for £25.86 (£12 clearance admin charge + £13.86 disbursements out of the scope of EU VAT).

The camera itself was worth £69. Is it right that I have to pay to receive my prize?
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
gov.uk/goo…uty

gifts worth more than £39 are subject to VAT so it sound about right... 20% of 69 is 13.80, add handling fee and there you have it
Edited by: "mattsk" 21st Aug 2017
This does sound about right.

The terms and conditions of competitions covers them as usually states that they not responsible for any overseasfees/taxes.
As long as you are sure its not a con, that's about right.
Original Poster
How annoying, I don't even want the camera they sent me. The camera was supposed to be worth £150 but due to shipping costs from the US they decided to send me an inferior camera and not what they advertised.
Original Poster
So what's to stop someone from abroad sending a letter with a declared value of £100 to someone in the UK just to cause financial loss and inconvenience to the sender?

Other than refusing the letter or paying return postage, there isn't is there?
I've had this ongoing dispute with TNT for a while now I rang & said I'm happy to pay the vat as that is my legal obligation. I did say however I won't pay any fees they impose as I didn't instruct them to deliver the parcel, I said the contact is with them & the seller and any fee will should be recouped from them.
Thry were trying to charge me £24 on an item I payed £35 for. I've had 2 letters asking for payment I've rang them 3 times & emailed twice not payed them anything yet, I received the item 14 months ago.
Have you already received the camera and then got the bill later? If so, then that's bad practice from the courier. I thought you got the bill before you got the goods, that's how it ought to work. I'd just refuse to pay and tell them to collect the parcel at their leisure.
Original Poster
Pandamansays8 h, 24 m ago

Have you already received the camera and then got the bill later? If so, …Have you already received the camera and then got the bill later? If so, then that's bad practice from the courier. I thought you got the bill before you got the goods, that's how it ought to work. I'd just refuse to pay and tell them to collect the parcel at their leisure.

Yes I received the FedEx invoice about a week after the camera arrived. When I told them they can have the camera back if they want to charge me for it, they said I'd have to send it back via FedEx and the cost would be greater than £26, so they have me over a barrel really.

davzzp12 h, 19 m ago

I've had this ongoing dispute with TNT for a while now I rang & said I'm …I've had this ongoing dispute with TNT for a while now I rang & said I'm happy to pay the vat as that is my legal obligation. I did say however I won't pay any fees they impose as I didn't instruct them to deliver the parcel, I said the contact is with them & the seller and any fee will should be recouped from them.Thry were trying to charge me £24 on an item I payed £35 for. I've had 2 letters asking for payment I've rang them 3 times & emailed twice not payed them anything yet, I received the item 14 months ago.

I said the same on the phone and they said they would waive the £12 admin fee as a gesture of goodwill if I made payment there and then. I don't mind paying the VAT if that's my legal requirement just to get shot of this. I definitely wouldn't have entered the competition if I knew they would send an inferior camera to overseas winners.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions