Fee free cards

Posted 12th Jan
Evening all,

I'm currently looking at getting a fee free card for travels and buying goods from different countries. Are they all pretty much the same thing?
I know of Revolut, starling and Monza. Any others worth looking into?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Starling is the best of the three, having used them all. Starling is the best bank even in the UK and that's why I use it as my main one for everything. Easiest app to use out of the three and decent customer service (24/7 live chat instead of the inferior in app chat).

Revolut may work out better if you want to convert money earlier to lock in an exchange rate, but customer service is easily worst of the three.

You may also consider N26, Halifax Clarity (credit card), or Bó (Natwest brand).
Edited by: "jamie15" 12th Jan
starling all the way
jamie1512/01/2020 21:09

Starling is the best of the three, having used them all. Starling is the …Starling is the best of the three, having used them all. Starling is the best bank even in the UK and that's why I use it as my main one for everything. Easiest app to use out of the three and decent customer service (24/7 live chat instead of the inferior in app chat).Revolut may work out better if you want to convert money earlier to lock in an exchange rate, but customer service is easily worst of the three.You may also consider N26, Halifax Clarity (credit card), or Bó (Natwest brand).

Thanks for your input. I think my main reasons were just as mentioned in my initial post. I quite like the idea of being able to withdraw from atms daily too.
Starling was my initial choice but thought I should check.
I've also found a rather lengthy post on here from February last year so currently having a read of it and the comments.
Starling is the Best card. No fee and accepted in ever country shops and ATM’s. I have used it in India, Australia,New Zealand,Spain and South Africa (Cape Town) with no issues.
Starling it is then! Thanks folks!!
I gather I would just add the details to Amazon as any normal debit card?
Why limit yourself especially if travelling I have 2/3 of these and used them both on last holiday as they offer different things. Revolut is paygo and not a full bank account but starling and monzo are proper accounts. It’s always handy to have a decent alternative and it can lay dormant though I use all mine for different things.. also Revolut has virtual cards.. if you get a referral the card should be free.
justanothercid12/01/2020 23:02

Why limit yourself especially if travelling I have 2/3 of these and used …Why limit yourself especially if travelling I have 2/3 of these and used them both on last holiday as they offer different things. Revolut is paygo and not a full bank account but starling and monzo are proper accounts. It’s always handy to have a decent alternative and it can lay dormant though I use all mine for different things.. also Revolut has virtual cards.. if you get a referral the card should be free.

What things do they do differently from each other or what benefits can I see from Revolut compared to starling?
It may be worth having two I guess.
Revolut is paygo so no credit check.. though other is only if you take an overdraft. You can’t go over what’s in Revolut and you can bank good exchange rates.. downside is no fsa protection for Revolut the other two do have it.. as I said it’s really down to how you use them. But a backup is always advised especially while travelling
justanothercid13/01/2020 08:56

Revolut is paygo so no credit check.. though other is only if you take an …Revolut is paygo so no credit check.. though other is only if you take an overdraft. You can’t go over what’s in Revolut and you can bank good exchange rates.. downside is no fsa protection for Revolut the other two do have it.. as I said it’s really down to how you use them. But a backup is always advised especially while travelling

Yeah I didn't think of a backup, I may get a Revolut also down the line. I signed up for Starling last night though.
As long as you are aware that you are opening a bank account with Starling and this is the related debit card, you will be fine. Far too many people think it is just a travel card and then act surprised when they discover a bank account was opened in their name.
bozo00713/01/2020 09:34

As long as you are aware that you are opening a bank account with Starling …As long as you are aware that you are opening a bank account with Starling and this is the related debit card, you will be fine. Far too many people think it is just a travel card and then act surprised when they discover a bank account was opened in their name.

Yes that's fine, it's no issue. It won't be keeping the majority of my funds anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants