Fee to pay- royal mail

Posted 2nd Jan
So I received a note today from royal mail saying i have a fee to pay of £3.00 as the sender did not pay full postage? Im confused as to what the parcel is as I dont recall ordering anything that is delivered by royal mail, just the generic asos/ amazon orders are to come soon. Is there any way of finding out where the package has come from or what is is? Theres no tracking number or anything. Its also under my surname which is odd as i have no clue what it could be.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Pop to collection office and hope the package will jog your memory. If you don't want it, don't pay and tell them to return to sender (if they can work out who it is given you wouldn't know!).
It could mean i.e sender sent you 2nd class large letter and only paid for a 2nd class stamp, and not the extra 12p. They'll bill you £3 for that.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 2nd Jan
Stamps fall off sometimes but the receiver ends up footing the bill.

Most likely the incorrect postage was paid which still results in the above
Edited by: "Gollywood" 2nd Jan
£3 is standard "small parcel" fee for no postage paid / insufficient postage paid.
colinsss02/01/2020 23:07

Pop to collection office and hope the package will jog your memory. If you …Pop to collection office and hope the package will jog your memory. If you don't want it, don't pay and tell them to return to sender (if they can work out who it is given you wouldn't know!).

It doesnt say anywhere that i can collect it, just that i have to pay the fee online and get it delivered so im kinda left with no choice. A bit ridiculous though
Nilufar1234503/01/2020 00:30

It doesnt say anywhere that i can collect it, just that i have to pay the …It doesnt say anywhere that i can collect it, just that i have to pay the fee online and get it delivered so im kinda left with no choice. A bit ridiculous though

It will probably be a Christmas card with the wrong stamp on. I've had a few of those over the years. Just leave it.

It doesnt say anywhere that i can collect it, just that i have to pay the …It doesnt say anywhere that i can collect it, just that i have to pay the fee online and get it delivered so im kinda left with no choice. A bit ridiculous though

Just do not pay, then you may not have to not tell the unknown sender not to send you any more tat you may have not ordered, or not.
It may not affect you but I read online that royal mail are bringing out new charges/fines? Have a look at those see if any of it makes sense. Sorry it's no much help.

A bit worrying that it doesn't say where to collect it. It should I believe. There is a scam where someone droos an authentic looking 'excess postage to pay' card in, and the number you phone is a premium rate one - which can cost you a lot of money. Are you sure it is authentic 'pay office' card?
You can ask to view the parcel before you pay. on the label see if there is a return address and it might click. If not refuse the parcel and it will be returned to the sender.

It could be a scam then if it’s telling you to pay online and not collect from the sorting office

Had this several times, you go to the Royal Mail ‘fee to pay’ web page and then select redelivery date, no way of knowing who it’s from though if there’s no tracking info.
ndyanem03/01/2020 06:14

It could be a scam then if it’s telling you to pay online and not collect f …It could be a scam then if it’s telling you to pay online and not collect from the sorting office

Not a scam at all, just go through RM fee to pay web page.
walrus403/01/2020 07:23

Not a scam at all, just go through RM fee to pay web page.

You should by able to pay at the sorting office then not just online
ndyanem03/01/2020 07:34

You should by able to pay at the sorting office then not just online

I think you can pay at the office if stated on the card too, ours is miles away though, honestly not worth the round trip.
We had one from NHS about ours kids jabs, showed the envelope before hand at sorting so I refused. Rang up and it was what I thought. Saved £2
Think of it as a £3 lucky dip
Might just be a Christmas card someone forgot to put a stamp on. I've done that before.
Common one is a thick card sent at normal postal rates - lots of stuff doesn't fit the slot and should have been sent as large letter.
jon81uk03/01/2020 11:05

Might just be a Christmas card someone forgot to put a stamp on. I've done …Might just be a Christmas card someone forgot to put a stamp on. I've done that before.

As prev mentioned: £3 is standard "small parcel" fee for no postage paid / insufficient postage paid.
royalmail.com/per…age
If you don't know what it is just ignore it and it will go back to the sender. Simple really.
Have you not received a Chrimbo card from someone you were expecting? It’s probably a larger than usual,padded card that has insufficient postage. It could however be a normal card but heavier as it contains money, vouchers or cards. Your choice.
Our local sorting office will not go and get the item off the shelf until you hand over the payment, once paid a few quid for a bloody advertising flyer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions