Feedback please from Peugeot 207 1.6 HDi owners/drivers

Posted 24th JanEdited by:"vultura"
Thinking of a change of car, currently driving a 19 year old 1.8l petrol and it will need work this year for MOT and it is overdue for having cam belt changed, among other things.

Have read reviews on the 207 1.6L HDi models, but could do with feedback from owners/drivers rather than info from a motoring journalist who drove one for a week.

Am aware that rear space is limited, but I generally don't have passengers, so that isn't an issue.

Is the pedal layout bad as some say? What are the like to use on a day to day basis? Servicing costs?

Note that it will likely be a 12 year old model that I will be looking to buy as they fit in with available funds.

Edit - 25/01 - I forgot to mention that I am looking at the 90BHP models to take advantage of lower road tax.

Also forgot to ask, is the gearbox as bad as they say - as in notchy/vague?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Hi i have had a number of peugeots with that exact engine as have other family members they are generally reliable although there isna bag containing a fluid called eoulous (or similar name) which can split at reasonable cost. I woukd say they are nice to drive and ours including our long term 207 was excellent. The oedals were absolutely fine noone has ever commented anything about them (our 206 was narrower on the pedals front) however common peugeot issues were present from about 75,000 miles onwards with the indicator stalks becoming looser and slack and sometimes moving to the other direction when cancelling (solved with small amount of sponge at the base) at the end of the day a 12 year old french car will not drive like when it was brand new but if you can accept some slack in all the controls and inputs they are nice and relaxing to drive. Tyre pressure sensors if fitted will be a sea of low batterys and warning lights.
Also peugeot headlights are notorious for fogging and glazing over. This can be fixed by home kits (had very little success) or a man coning round with a machine for £50 (great success )
You can get a peupeot 1.6 207 with less that 50,000 (probably with a chain rather than a belt) for about £1k
If you get a good one it will be great, but there will be lots of bad ones from back then when quality care wasn’t great. Had two Peugeot’s with the 1.6 engine back then and problems with both, second one after a year of issues and Peugeot trying to fix it gave up on it when they went quiet, only for them to want to put a new engine in it months later. At the time you could read about the same issues on many forums
eslick24/01/2020 22:39

If you get a good one it will be great, but there will be lots of bad ones …If you get a good one it will be great, but there will be lots of bad ones from back then when quality care wasn’t great. Had two Peugeot’s with the 1.6 engine back then and problems with both, second one after a year of issues and Peugeot trying to fix it gave up on it when they went quiet, only for them to want to put a new engine in it months later. At the time you could read about the same issues on many forums

So when you flogged it on were you honest or not?
Willy_Wonka24/01/2020 22:40

So when you flogged it on were you honest or not?

Of course, dealers don’t care they just put it in an auction anyway, dash was lit up like a Christmas tree.
eslick24/01/2020 22:44

Of course, dealers don’t care they just put it in an auction anyway, dash w …Of course, dealers don’t care they just put it in an auction anyway, dash was lit up like a Christmas tree.

lol At least you passed it on through a dealer. I hate these "traders" that will stuff you all day long with a dodgy/false MOT gained from a mate for £20 cash.
JamieBeveridge24/01/2020 22:09

Also peugeot headlights are notorious for fogging and glazing over. This …Also peugeot headlights are notorious for fogging and glazing over. This can be fixed by home kits (had very little success) or a man coning round with a machine for £50 (great success )

£50? Wow I need to start doing it as a job then
39755819-NW8or.jpg
I had a 207 1.4vti, loved it and almost zero issues over 5 years of ownership other than the usual wear & tear (brakes), just the air con compressor became a bit temperamental in the end. And the rear seat belt sensors were always a bit iffy, just needed to keep the belts fastened to avoid them randomly pinging at you.

That said, a friend had the 1.6 hdi which was even better to drive but in common with other diesels you do need to watch for DPF issues, it's really important to take it for a spin every so often to get it nice and hot to burn off the crap.
I had a 207, with that exact engine (reg ky10 xpl) absolutely brilliant car, only thing I had was that when it was really hot outside, the centre console dash would fade.. but come back when cooled down.

Unfortunately someone wrote off into the side of me, so from a car crash perspective.. it stood up really well from a side on hit ... if that’s of any help?
iWantACheesePizza25/01/2020 14:49

I had a 207, with that exact engine (reg ky10 xpl) absolutely brilliant …I had a 207, with that exact engine (reg ky10 xpl) absolutely brilliant car, only thing I had was that when it was really hot outside, the centre console dash would fade.. but come back when cooled down. Unfortunately someone wrote off into the side of me, so from a car crash perspective.. it stood up really well from a side on hit ... if that’s of any help?

The fading is because Renualt, Citroen & Peugeot used to use cheap & thin electronic ribbons to connect the LCD to the power. They become brittle & break quite often from heat. I would have thought the cars today would have been rectified with better quality connections.
JamieBeveridge24/01/2020 22:09

Also peugeot headlights are notorious for fogging and glazing over. This …Also peugeot headlights are notorious for fogging and glazing over. This can be fixed by home kits (had very little success) or a man coning round with a machine for £50 (great success )

£50? All you need is some G3, A fluffy cloth and some elbow grease!
They're ok if you're going to be doing the mileage. My friends a mechanic and he has several cars a week with that particular engine in and 9 out of 10 times it's something to do with the dpf.

A 12 year old diesel is very likely going to need a new dpf or taking off and professionally cleaned at some point. Also having low mileage isn't necessarily a positive thing for an old diesel.
.MUFC.25/01/2020 17:36

They're ok if you're going to be doing the mileage. My friends a mechanic …They're ok if you're going to be doing the mileage. My friends a mechanic and he has several cars a week with that particular engine in and 9 out of 10 times it's something to do with the dpf. A 12 year old diesel is very likely going to need a new dpf or taking off and professionally cleaned at some point. Also having low mileage isn't necessarily a positive thing for an old diesel.

I am aware of general issues with DPF on cars used for short journeys.

If I understand it correctly 207s after 2010 all had them, but before then it was the 110BHP or higher variants that did. I should have mentioned that I am looking at the 90BHP models, to benefit from the lower road tax.

CatsWithThumbs25/01/2020 01:25

I had a 207 1.4vti, loved it and almost zero issues over 5 years of …I had a 207 1.4vti, loved it and almost zero issues over 5 years of ownership other than the usual wear & tear (brakes), just the air con compressor became a bit temperamental in the end. And the rear seat belt sensors were always a bit iffy, just needed to keep the belts fastened to avoid them randomly pinging at you.That said, a friend had the 1.6 hdi which was even better to drive

I will bear that little nugget of info in mind, just in case I do go ahead ahead and encounter issues with the belt alarm sensors.

Willy_Wonka24/01/2020 22:23

You can get a peugeot 1.6 207 with less that 50,000 (probably with a chain …You can get a peugeot 1.6 207 with less that 50,000 (probably with a chain rather than a belt) for about £1k

I have seen a fair few advertised for sale for that kind of money, but usually higher mileage.
vultura25/01/2020 23:13

.I have seen a fair few advertised for sale for that kind of money, but ….I have seen a fair few advertised for sale for that kind of money, but usually higher mileage.

Keep looking & if on ebay filter the mileage. Do an MOT check for advisories & history which is free on gov.uk.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 25th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants