Feel like im not good enough (apprentice)

Posted 7th Sep 2020
Been an apprentice for a year now and still don’t feel im good enough to do the job. I stress my self out when I can’t do things right the first time. The people i work with are great but i feel like im in the way most of the time. Am i being to hard on myself? I don’t know what to do because its a job I enjoy but don’t seem to be great at it
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
41856334-80UfT.jpg
You may be right, maybe you’re not good at it and you are in the way - but I’d hazard a guess that, based on this comment, you’re an anxious person inclined to over think and worry and the former isn’t true.
Confidence in a job doesn’t come so quickly for some, and that’s alright. When I’m training someone I’d always rather someone cautious who asks about anything they’re unsure of constantly than an over confident numpty who keeps messing up.
If you’re not doing things wrong, and you KNOW logistically how to actually do it, there’s nothing wrong with taking a step back and thinking slowly and logically before you begin. Step by step.
If you’re doing things wrong because you didn’t know in the first place, thats your opportunity to ask before you start, double check. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Some things take time - and if you enjoy it, you’ll get there!
Edited by: "Nat_urally" 8th Sep
Rome wasn’t built in a day buddy, keep at it, be easier on yourself and things will fall into place. Keep positive. 99% of situations like this are about positive thinking.
What trade? I am guessing it’s a 4 year apprenticeship?
As long as you keep at it, you’ll be fine, it will all come together eventually
Edited by: "snoopy18" 7th Sep
28 Comments
What trade? I am guessing it’s a 4 year apprenticeship?
As long as you keep at it, you’ll be fine, it will all come together eventually
Edited by: "snoopy18" 7th Sep
Agree with snoopy. Whats the job, what sort of things are you struggling with? Is it knowing stuff or actually doing thats the problem?

Lots of jobs just need experience. You've done somrthing twice so its hard and you arent sure how tight to do it up or how much to trim off or whatever. by the time you've done 10 of whatever then youre more confident and by the time you hit 50 you could do it in your sleep and cant remember why you thought it was tricky.
41856334-80UfT.jpg
You may be right, maybe you’re not good at it and you are in the way - but I’d hazard a guess that, based on this comment, you’re an anxious person inclined to over think and worry and the former isn’t true.
Confidence in a job doesn’t come so quickly for some, and that’s alright. When I’m training someone I’d always rather someone cautious who asks about anything they’re unsure of constantly than an over confident numpty who keeps messing up.
If you’re not doing things wrong, and you KNOW logistically how to actually do it, there’s nothing wrong with taking a step back and thinking slowly and logically before you begin. Step by step.
If you’re doing things wrong because you didn’t know in the first place, thats your opportunity to ask before you start, double check. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Some things take time - and if you enjoy it, you’ll get there!
Edited by: "Nat_urally" 8th Sep
Just for balance, I was on my forklift driving week long course and after 2 days I thought I’m not getting the hang of this at all and everyone seems a lot better than me, by the end of day 3 It all fell into place and I passed easily on the fifth day
Rome wasn’t built in a day buddy, keep at it, be easier on yourself and things will fall into place. Keep positive. 99% of situations like this are about positive thinking.
A year is not long at all. Keep working hard & you will achieve what you want to. Before you know it you’ll be the one able to show others how it’s done. What you are experiencing is okay, in time you’ll need to be reminded you ever felt that way. hukd is here for you
After a year maybe you should be able to do better, but if people you work with are all great they might be doing you a disservice. Sometimes people need hard truths to get better. Some people are not cut out for certain jobs..

do you enjoy what you do? If not move on..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 7th Sep
This challenge will only make you stronger! You are good enough that’s all you need to keep telling yourself!
Edited by: "Cbear81" 7th Sep
You're young, (I assume), life is one long lesson, you will get there if you stick to it, trust me, giving up is not the answer it just makes future decisions harder.
nice username by the way, Bradley Walsh really lost it at that name
If the people you work with are happy with you, then you must be doing ok.
Bargainhead07/09/2020 14:44

After a year maybe you should be able to do better, but if people you work …After a year maybe you should be able to do better, but if people you work with are all great they might be doing you a disservice. Sometimes people need hard truths to get better. Some people are not cut out for certain jobs..do you enjoy what you do? If not move on..

Can`t agree with that advice at all .
Do the apprenticeship and then find something else when you are qualified, its not a great time to be looking for work.
Ask for a performance review. These should happen anyway but if not pluck up the courage to ask your line manager to sit down in private for honest feedback on how your first year has gone. Focus on how to become even better for the remainder of your apprenticeship.

The most important feedback at the review is however yours. Be honest about your concerns. You'll most likely be surprised that your concerns are not shared by your manager. This should help build your confidence and future performance.

Win - win for everyone.
snoopy1807/09/2020 14:16

What trade? I am guessing it’s a 4 year apprenticeship? As long as you k …What trade? I am guessing it’s a 4 year apprenticeship? As long as you keep at it, you’ll be fine, it will all come together eventually

Yes, if it's a 4 year apprenticeship and you are only 1 year in, you wouldn't expect to be great ata it yet.
2 things to think about:

1. If you were bad they would have let you go by now. They haven't so you're not doing bad
2. If no-one made mistakes we wouldn't need erasers on the end of pencils. You're there to learn, not to be expected to know everything
"I stress my self out when I can’t do things right the first time." is what you said in your post

What happens the second time and the third time?

If you get it right on those occasions, learn from it and then get it right after that, then you are doing well.

- If you could do everything right first time, every time, without any support / coaching then you would be the boss and not the trainee.

A lot of us will fall off a horse when learning to ride.
If you do not get back in the saddle then you will have to walk everywhere instead of riding.
If you have the confidence to get back in the saddle and try again, then you could be on your way to the grand national one day.

It is also important that you DO make mistakes and LEARN from them. Often, seeing what can go wrong teaches you more about what to do to avoid problems in the future than if everything was perfect first time.

I assume that you have someone who is in overall charge of you and your training. I agree with the comment above about a "performance review" but this may be able to be done informally. Perhaps a "I have been here a year and was wondering if we could we have a chat about how I am getting on. What do you think I am doing well and what areas could I improve?"
- You may be pleasantly surprised by the positive feedback given to you
One thing you learn as you get older is that no-one really knows what they're doing - just hang in there, and soon there will be someone else newer than you wishing that they knew how to do it as well as you do. Unless they sack you, you're doing just fine mate.
snoopy1807/09/2020 15:44

Can`t agree with that advice at all . Do the apprenticeship and then find …Can`t agree with that advice at all . Do the apprenticeship and then find something else when you are qualified, its not a great time to be looking for work.

totally agree you need to have that bit of paper, then you can do what you want. but having your qualification and not being able to do the job is pointless. as you cant fall back on it. i was saying if your no good at this move on do something else..

posts like this are all about getting a boost because people care or fake concern..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 7th Sep
Go ask your boss. Tell him you want an honest answer. People here can reassure you but we don't know you or if youre capable, he does. Problem solved.
Edited by: "Maverick77" 7th Sep
Thanks for all your comments! I do often put myself down on a lot of things and need reassurance a lot. The guys i work with are really top notch. We usually do service and repair but at the moment we are doing installations and its not something im familiar with. I understand servicing and repair more. At college i do really well in my exams and generally know a lot of what im doing.
fannychmelar07/09/2020 18:17

Thanks for all your comments! I do often put myself down on a lot of …Thanks for all your comments! I do often put myself down on a lot of things and need reassurance a lot. The guys i work with are really top notch. We usually do service and repair but at the moment we are doing installations and its not something im familiar with. I understand servicing and repair more. At college i do really well in my exams and generally know a lot of what im doing.

I’m sure you’re great at what you do though! Doing something out of you’re comfort zone is scary but a learning curve!
Edited by: "Cbear81" 7th Sep
fannychmelar07/09/2020 18:17

Thanks for all your comments! I do often put myself down on a lot of …Thanks for all your comments! I do often put myself down on a lot of things and need reassurance a lot. The guys i work with are really top notch. We usually do service and repair but at the moment we are doing installations and its not something im familiar with. I understand servicing and repair more. At college i do really well in my exams and generally know a lot of what im doing.

Don't worry about it.

If you become completely incompetent, you'll be promoted to manager soon enough.
I will let you into a secret. DO NOT PASS THIS ON!

Everyone feels the same. Even your managers & supervisors feel the same.

No one is perfect. All that maters is you try to rectify mistakes & errors & learn. Some people are very good at hiding & covering up errors. So who is the better person? The one that makes the mistakes & hides it? Or the one that recognises the mistake & fixes it to the best of their ability?

You think you are different from the rest? You are not. You just spoke your mind, which is to be commended.

If we were all perfect then we would all have the pocket change of Bill Gates.
You make a mistake - you're human.
You make the same mistake again - you're still human, Just a bit dumber seems need more practice.
I've trained peopleadd bakers in the past , one of the worst for confidence when he started left after completing his City&Guilds qualification and within 6 months was running his own bakery. Ok, his parents funded it but he ran it ans it's still running today -26 years later.
The "I'll give it a go" attitude is more important than self confidence - too much self confidence comes across as arrogance. So give it a go, make mistakes, learn from them.
Even better - learn from others mistakes. That's the smart thing to do.
To ask on here shows that you are conscientious, so don't worry. If you are seriously concerned go to a manager and ask if you should be further on in your training than yout are.
There is one thing to remember - EDIP.
E = Explanation
D=Demonstration
I=Imitation
P=Practice

The best way to learn practical skills. So you'll keep doing basic stuff plus a little bit extra. Before long you'll feel more confident.
everyone gets imposter syndrome often when learning new skills / new job
sounds mix of knowing learning style/confidence/practical skills/adapting to change - personal development
essentially thinking skills / emotional intelligence
you can do self learning online - see likes of therapist aid / national careers service / business balls / khan academy / alison websites could talk to training provider / employer about adding to development plan?
Willy_Wonka07/09/2020 18:41

I will let you into a secret. DO NOT PASS THIS ON!Everyone feels the same. …I will let you into a secret. DO NOT PASS THIS ON!Everyone feels the same. Even your managers & supervisors feel the same. No one is perfect. All that maters is you try to rectify mistakes & errors & learn. Some people are very good at hiding & covering up errors. So who is the better person? The one that makes the mistakes & hides it? Or the one that recognises the mistake & fixes it to the best of their ability?You think you are different from the rest? You are not. You just spoke your mind, which is to be commended. If we were all perfect then we would all have the pocket change of Bill Gates.

some people are good at what they do and solve problems when they come up.

yes people need to learn. but not every body is the same. some are better at other things than others.

pep talks dont work and give false believe to some who shouldnt be doing what they do...

giving people false believe only makes it harder and further to fall..
Bargainhead08/09/2020 09:04

some people are good at what they do and solve problems when they come up. …some people are good at what they do and solve problems when they come up. yes people need to learn. but not every body is the same. some are better at other things than others.pep talks dont work and give false believe to some who shouldnt be doing what they do...giving people false believe only makes it harder and further to fall..

I think we get your point now ....
Post a comment
@
    Text