Feeling sick / tired for weeks

Found 17th Feb 2009
I am currently at university and for the last couple of weeks have been feeling sick (nausea?) and tired constantly but with no other symptoms. I have been to the doctors but could only see the nurse as the doctor couldn't see me until next week. The nurse said as I wasn't actually vomiting and didn't have diarrhea, there was nothing that she could find wrong with me. She game me tablets for motion-sickness that work but only for a few hours and then it comes back again. Another person in my corridor is describing the same symptoms that I have.

I am finding it hard to concentrate during lectures and haven't really been able to go out with friends for weeks. I thought it could be food poisoning but that is usually more severe and lasts days. I am going to try to get an appointment with the doctor as soon as possible but was wondering if anyone else has had this before and if you know what it could be. Rep will be left for any help. Thanks.

21 Comments

Could be something to do with Carbon Monoxide - I'd report it to get stuff checke dout in the Halls

bassman_uk;4404638

Could be something to do with Carbon Monoxide - I'd report it to get … Could be something to do with Carbon Monoxide - I'd report it to get stuff checke dout in the Halls

That was what I thought of when I read the OP's post - you can get a carbon monoxide monitor very cheaply these days, would be a wise investment I think.

are u mal nourished atm?

could be anxiety / stress related

Re CO poisoning, could try leaving your window open and see if it subsides...

...on the other hand you could be pregnant... ;-)

Gawd, if someone else is suffering same symptoms I would say it sounds like there could be a problem with your surroundings, I presume it's student accommodation? Is there a care taker or land lord you can contact?

Do you eat in the same place as this other person?

Ask around, see if anyone else is feeling off.

sounds the symptoms of pregnancy!

Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies. I doubt thanks I am pregnant as I am male , I do eat in the same place at the other person as I am in catered accommodation, I would doubt that it was carbon monoxide poisoning due to the accommodation being the second newest (two years old) at the university and there being carbon monoxide alarms located in main areas (e.g. laundry) all showing zero. But it is a great suggestion as the symptoms match almost exactly. I will definitely check it out. Thanks again :thumbsup:

mention glandular fever to the docs and see what they say, I had it at Uni and it killed me for a few months (in fact I dropped out and started again the following year)

anaemia?

Could be numerous things:

Thyroid problem
Iron deficiency
Vitamin B deficiency

Go and get your bloods tested, ask for above blood tests and to get your ESR check as well, which will check the blood cells in your body

WasStoNed;4404784

mention glandular fever to the docs and see what they say, I had it at … mention glandular fever to the docs and see what they say, I had it at Uni and it killed me for a few months (in fact I dropped out and started again the following year)

Glandular fever crossed my mind too as fatigue is one of its main symptoms.

The other person suffering, have you been getting down and dirty with them? it is also known as the kissing disease! lol

Original Poster

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I think that a blood test will definitely be the best option.

Russ2626;4404778

Thanks very much for your replies.[COLOR="Red"] I doubt thanks I am … Thanks very much for your replies.[COLOR="Red"] I doubt thanks I am pregnant as I am male ,[/COLOR] I do eat in the same place at the other person as I am in catered accommodation, I would doubt that it was carbon monoxide poisoning due to the accommodation being the second newest (two years old) at the university and there being carbon monoxide alarms located in main areas (e.g. laundry) all showing zero. But it is a great suggestion as the symptoms match almost exactly. I will definitely check it out. Thanks again :thumbsup:

oops sorry, but you wont be the 1st male to fall pregnant LOL
on a serious note get to docs and get checked out
you could be dehydrated or just run down or some kind of bug,
hope you feel better soon

Even try lloyds chemist they do a test for Diabeties...

won't hurt just to go and get it checked out (Well they cut your finger to do the test but you know what I mean)

Also sounds like it could be (the start) of glandular fever to me, had it when I was in my third year and I was lethargic for a few weeks. Then it hit me like a sh__ blizzard. Worth getting a blood test

I thought Glandular Fever, right age etc......other than that perhaps you are just a bit run down, perhaps once the weather picks up so will you. My extremely healthy lad is very tired, lethargic etc and i'm sure that its the long winter, roll on spring!!

Yes, I immediately thought glandular fever as well, but your symptoms are a bit vague and you definitely need to see a proper doctor.

nhs.uk/Con…spx

I had the most horrendous virus a couple of months ago with similiar symptoms to what you described (Although I was retching and vomiting a bit at times too) so it might be something like that, especially if someone in close quarters also as it. Better see the Doctor just to be on the safe side- they prescribed me tablets that did something to the acids in your stomach and anti nausea pills.

I was going to suggest Vitamin B deficiency - I was feeling like poo for weeks and had some bloods taken and Doc said i was lacking in B. Asked if i was a veggie (which I'm not). I now take Vit B complex every day and feel much better. But best suggestion i get it CHECKED OUT PROPERLY AT THE DOCTOR!
Also I take Yacult every day if i get a bout of nausea and that was on the recommendation of a pharmacist

Wonder if he every found out what was wrong yet?
Post a comment
@
    Text