Fellow dry-scalp sufferers, what is best budget alternative to T-Gel??

Found 24th Feb 2015
Hi All, I have been using T-Gel for my annoying dry scalp for over a year now and I just cannot afford it anymore. Can anyone recommend a cheaper, tried and tested alternative please? Maybe you have found that supermarkets own brand head and shoulders rip-off that has worked wonders for you? Any suggestions would be brilliant please, just cannot justify the price for T-Gel at the mo.
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
Have you tried oiling your scalp (olive/sunflower oil) before washing with regular shampoo and then rinsing with highly diluted cider vinegar? (sounds like a salad dressing, but you might just find that your scalp problem improves significantly).
Have you tried rubbing low fat mayonnaise into the scalp, leave for one hour, then add the zest of two lemons before washing out with nothing but warm water.

Works for me
My husband swears by Nizoral. Not that cheap but lasts for a long time as you use it very infrequently.
Edited by: "frowner" 24th Feb 2015
2 billion Indians can't be wrong...coconut oil...

once a week, rub into scalp and hair then wash out after a hour or two...

relatively cheap too...you can buy stuff for hair or stuff for cooking. .
oil or moisturiser rubbed into the scalp at night, then wash with tea tree oil shampoo
is it itchy? maybe eczema, maybe worth seeing a doctor about, i used to get a problem with this and used a prescription lotion which is available wo prescription now.
can't remember the name but its behind counter at most chemists, as expensive as tgel to purchase but you use very little and the bottles last for ages, dark brown plastic bottle.
Also make sure you double rinse your hair, some shampoos leave residue and in soft water areas this is not easily removed.
Try organic coconut oil.
I stopped using the normal shampoo. Now I use SLS free shampoo and I don't have the problem any more. Hair gets dirty a little bit quicker, but no more itchy dry scalp.
Superdrugs own brand of anti dandruff shampoo is great. It looks like Head & Shoulders but lots cheaper. We alternate between this and t-tree shampoo (Alberto Balsom £1 stuff). No dandruff since we've been doing this.
Hi All, thanks for all the brilliant replies. As much as I am sure the natural remedies like mayo and lemon juice will work great I think I will just try out the Superdrug Head and Shoulders rip-off first as recommended by Angel-of-the-north. Can I just ask whether the superdrug one is a conditioner as well or just an anti dandruff shampoo? If not then which conditioner would people suggest please?
Vosene medicated.
skwintie

I stopped using the normal shampoo. Now I use SLS free shampoo and I … I stopped using the normal shampoo. Now I use SLS free shampoo and I don't have the problem any more. Hair gets dirty a little bit quicker, but no more itchy dry scalp.

Exactly this!! i suffered for years and now use herbal essence "naked" ... problem gone...
mr321

Exactly this!! i suffered for years and now use herbal essence "naked" … Exactly this!! i suffered for years and now use herbal essence "naked" ... problem gone...

Exactly the same for me. Herbal Essences naked is currently less than 2 quid in Asda right now too.
The only problem with the Herbal Essences Naked, is that it's only the shampoo that is really naked. The conditioner still has crap in it. Given that the naked shampoo dries the hair out terribly, conditioner is more important for me after. However their conditioner has given me a dry rash all over my neck, shoulders and upper back now. Hrmph. Can anyone recommend a reasonably affordable "naked" conditioner?
Do you know TGel is only 2.49 in Home Bargains?
maddogb

is it itchy? maybe eczema, maybe worth seeing a doctor about, i used to … is it itchy? maybe eczema, maybe worth seeing a doctor about, i used to get a problem with this and used a prescription lotion which is available wo prescription now. can't remember the name but its behind counter at most chemists, as expensive as tgel to purchase but you use very little and the bottles last for ages, dark brown plastic bottle.Also make sure you double rinse your hair, some shampoos leave residue and in soft water areas this is not easily removed.

This was Polytar and is sadly no longer made.
therealslimkaty

The only problem with the Herbal Essences Naked, is that it's only the … The only problem with the Herbal Essences Naked, is that it's only the shampoo that is really naked. The conditioner still has crap in it. Given that the naked shampoo dries the hair out terribly, conditioner is more important for me after. However their conditioner has given me a dry rash all over my neck, shoulders and upper back now. Hrmph. Can anyone recommend a reasonably affordable "naked" conditioner?

Timotei Pure is quite similar, it's in a smaller bottle to the Herbal Essences but if I remember correctly it's also half the price.
I didn't know you had dandruff ?
hannaoptimus

Exactly the same for me. Herbal Essences naked is currently less than 2 … Exactly the same for me. Herbal Essences naked is currently less than 2 quid in Asda right now too.

iv also suffered mouth ulcers all my life until i switched to an SLS free toothpaste...
mr321

iv also suffered mouth ulcers all my life until i switched to an SLS free … iv also suffered mouth ulcers all my life until i switched to an SLS free toothpaste...

My oh too but the the sls free toothpaste hasn't stopped his ulcers.
what are/is SLS?
maddogb

what are/is SLS?

Sodium laurel sulphate.
I have a dandruff problem, i tried everything.

What finally did it for me, was surprisingly Lynx anti dandruff shampoo & conditioner. I alternate between this one and the conditioner with taurine (not sure if it makes any difference alternating, it's just the taurine one is a brilliant conditioner, hence why I alternate)

I was very surprised at it, I picked it up in an offer and didn't even realise it was anti dandruff, a friend of mine also uses it and it works for him too.
lianne21

Sodium laurel sulphate.

ah ty

Hi All, I just wanted to report back, I tried cheap wilko shampoo and it did not help my dandruff at all so I bought myself some T-Gel shampoo & conditioner 2in1 and it is brilliant, yes it was expensive but it is worth paying that bit more for something that works. Cheers to everyone who took the time to reply anyway!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants