Groups

Female Comedians

After watching Sarah Silverman doing stand up last night on Channel 4, i had to ask myself, WHY aren't female comedians funny?

There's a lot of good comedian actors in sitcoms and stuff, but when it comes to stand up, they all, well, fall down.

20 Comments

Agree, Victoria Wood was/is the best female comic, closely followed by.....err....Alan Carr

i think its something to do with the male mentalitly. when we are down the pub we like to talk about beer, women, sex and things like that. We dont normally do that with women, and so when we hear things like that from a female comedienne, its just not as funny as it would be from a man. Think its just the way society is, no fault of the female comedienne

yeah i had that on in the background last night she was pants

Original Poster

If that was the case, Sheep87, then there would be a big female comedian that the women would like, as they can relate to it, but there's not.

The biggest (literally in one case) female comedians i can think of are just Jo Brand and Joan Rivers and the like, with Shilpa Korsandi getting bigger.

The likes of Dawn French are good, but they're the afore mentioned actor comedians.

peodude;6207201

If that was the case, Sheep87, then there would be a big female comedian … If that was the case, Sheep87, then there would be a big female comedian that the women would like, as they can relate to it, but there's not. The biggest (literally in one case) female comedians i can think of are just Jo Brand and Joan Rivers and the like, with Shilpa Korsandi getting bigger.The likes of Dawn French are good, but they're the afore mentioned actor comedians.

good point.

But women like male comedians which kind of puts a spanner in my theory.

Btw, I saw shappi corsandi live once, and she gets worse and worse everytime i see her on TV,.

Jane.

Banned

Chris Hitchens wrote an article about this in Vanity Fair not too long ago.

Women are, in general, not funny.

Original Poster

Another problem i have is with the ethnic comics. Lenny Henry, Reginald D Hunter, Shilpa Lorsandi etc. Yes, we know your black, Iranian now get on with it.

Just like this woman last night just harked on about the fact that she's Jewish.

Catherine Tate is one funny chick

peodude;6207282

Another problem i have is with the ethnic comics. Lenny Henry, Reginald D … Another problem i have is with the ethnic comics. Lenny Henry, Reginald D Hunter, Shilpa Lorsandi etc. Yes, we know your black, Iranian now get on with it.Just like this woman last night just harked on about the fact that she's Jewish.

......Chris Rock, Richard Pryor

Banned

weepapa;6207298

Catherine Tate is one funny chick

I've never met her so I couldn't say.

nikkib123;6207343

"Bovvered?"

why does vv always look like a w?

Original Poster

Yup, Catherine Tate is another talented comedy actress.

nikkib123;6207317

Yeh but she doesn't do "stand-up" which is what the OP is talking about.

Don't know about that..she was standing up in Dr Who and was hilarious :whistling:

http://www.comedy.org.uk/images/library/comedies/300/t/tnt_show.jpg

Holly Walsh = Not funny.

Sheep87;6207155

i think its something to do with the male mentalitly. when we are down … i think its something to do with the male mentalitly. when we are down the pub we like to talk about beer, women, sex and things like that. We dont normally do that with women, and so when we hear things like that from a female comedienne, its just not as funny as it would be from a man. Think its just the way society is, no fault of the female comedienne

Is there another sort of comedienne?

I think that women comedians are not funny because they are to predictable it's either:

Periods
    Boyfriends
    Their Kids
    OR The Fact they are a woman comic

and if you're very unlucky all of the above

actually i saw holly walsh @ the Big Chill and she was pretty good, as good as all the blokes with the exception of Sean Hughes

its all about the voice and the fact most men dont take women seriously
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767428
      2. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.38
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7261376
      4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941352

See more discussions