Posted 5 May 2019

Ferrex tools at Lidl?

I'm thinking of investing in the Impact driver and Grinder but not sure how good the quality is. Can anyone comment on this?
Community Updates
[Guide] Ferrex Tools

If you’ve been shopping at ALDI lately, you may have seen power tools from a brand called Ferrex being sold at rock-bottom prices. With the prospect of picking up power tools that usually retail for hundreds of pounds for only a fraction of the price, it’s no wonder Ferrex tools have met the interest, and skepticism, of many customers.

In this short guide, we’ll have a look at Ferrex as a company itself, what kind of reviews its product have gotten online, as well as the range of products Ferrex offers.

Who makes Ferrex tools?

While Ferrex is a registered trademark of ALDI, there isn’t any clear information on who produces Ferex tools. hotukdeals users Daz_EOd stated that Ferrex tools are produced by Chinese company Positec, who also produce the Worx brand of power tools. However, Positec doesn’t list Ferrex as being one of its brands on its website, so this claim can’t be verified as of December 2019.

Ferrex power tools – What’s available?

So what’s available in the Ferrex range? Let’s take a look:

• Ferrex 18V Multi Head Drill – The Ferrex 18V Multi Head Drill comes with a drill head, ripsaw head, detail sander head and a multi-functional tool head. It features rubber over mould grip, variable speed with reverse and an LED light.
  • Ferrex Mini Bench Grinder – Ideal for working with metal, the Bench Grinder also comes with a rotary tool for sanding. It features an adjusting wheel for variable speed and metal housing.
  • Ferrex Mini Circular Saw – Features a left-handed blade design, with a compact size that means it can be easily transported. Comes with a dust adaptor, hexagonal key, HSS blade and diamond disc.
  • 1500W SDS Rotary Hammer Drill – For any job that needs a bit more power, the rotary hammer drill perfect for drilling into stone and masonry. It features a vibration damping handle, speed preselection and electro-pneumatic hammer action.
  • Ferrex Wall Chaser – Take the hand work out of chiselling with this wall chaser. It comes with an aluminium guard, an auxiliary handle and an 8-30mm cut width,

Ferrex tools reviews – What’s the verdict?

So far, the general reviews about Ferrix tools have been strong. On its website, ALDI allows users reviews for its entire Ferrix range, with most of its tools receiving 4 star reviews or better. However, there are a few products that have received poor reviews. Some of their cordless tools have been panned, with the ‘Li-Ion Cordless Angle Grinder’ getting 2.5 stars out of 5 and the ‘Li-Ion Cordless Orbital Sander getting 1.5 stars out of 5. The main complaints about these products is their poor battery life and unreliability.
New Comment

Categories

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Van197306/05/2019 10:08

Lidl tools are generally excellent value - perhaps not tradesman quality …Lidl tools are generally excellent value - perhaps not tradesman quality but certainly good enough for DIY use.The electrical ones also all come with a 3 year no quibble (just keep the receipt) guarantee.

My dad uses his ferrex combi for work on site and he said they are excellent
    You certainly don't 'invest' in tools from Lidl. Mostly good enough for general home use.
    As others have said it really is horses for courses. I have a lot of lidl tools and they suit me fine for day to day diy. When I have to drill into brick, I revert to my 25 year old black and decker hammer drill. No point in paying premium prices for premium tools if they are only going to sit in the garage attracting dust. Lidl tools work great but it really depends on what you want them for
    Author
    I think maybe invest wasn't the correct term to use. These will be just used for DIY tasks. Just can't justify paying the hefty prices of Dewalt, Makita etc (edited)
    Lidl tools are generally excellent value - perhaps not tradesman quality but certainly good enough for DIY use.

The electrical ones also all come with a 3 year no quibble (just keep the receipt) guarantee.
    Author
    Van19734 h, 57 m ago

Lidl tools are generally excellent value - perhaps not tradesman quality …Lidl tools are generally excellent value - perhaps not tradesman quality but certainly good enough for DIY use.The electrical ones also all come with a 3 year no quibble (just keep the receipt) guarantee.

Thanks for that info. Never bought electrical tools from Lidl before so that's good to know.
    For everyone's information...
    FERREX tools are made by the same company that makes Worx tools. The company is called Positec (a Chinese based company) with branches here in the UK. They also make Rock well tools in America.
    I have DeWalt tools, Makita tools, Phillips tools and Millwakee tools all very good and reliable. I also have Parkside, Workzone tools that so far have done the jobs needed of them and been reliable. Today I've bought a FERREX sabre saw with a 3 year warranty. I expect it to do what it's designed to do and with the 3 year warranty I've absolutely no worries about my new purchase.
    the problem with ferrex tools they are diffcult to find in stores.. you have to rush out buy them on release Thursday..

I have both a circular saw and a garden shear/hedge trimmer that use the 20V batterys.
    I however am struggling to find the impact driver / hammer sds drill, cordless driver and jogsaw.
    But im in no rush , others maybe would have in which case something like a erbauer / ryobi would have been easier...
    Having said this the curcular saw is excellent. Garden shears havent been used yet
    If you want to invest in good tools try dewalt or makita
    alsi are also doing this same brand too, so it looks like thay are dropping the work;s brand.
    the works brand was very good value because it come with a samsung battery.

the new ferrex brand is been sold separately and if you look on the aldi websie the betterys specs are very poor and this is why their so cheap £15 the battery's only have a 250 charge cycle. most other brands have many more cycles. 250 is very low.

my advise would be try and buy a works drill set that has the samsung battery or invest in a makita. you can get a makita from b&q for under £100 most of the time. makita/bosh is always on some sort of promo.
    Author
    winter_zombie06/05/2019 20:26

alsi are also doing this same brand too, so it looks like thay are …alsi are also doing this same brand too, so it looks like thay are dropping the work;s brand.the works brand was very good value because it come with a samsung battery.the new ferrex brand is been sold separately and if you look on the aldi websie the betterys specs are very poor and this is why their so cheap £15 the battery's only have a 250 charge cycle. most other brands have many more cycles. 250 is very low.my advise would be try and buy a works drill set that has the samsung battery or invest in a makita. you can get a makita from b&q for under £100 most of the time. makita/bosh is always on some sort of promo.

Really appreciate that information on the batteries. Didn't know that at all and that makes them a really bad deal battery wise, don't want to be buying new batteries all the time. I will see if I can find a work one, but failing that I might just do as you say and wait for a good deal on the better brands. Shame most of the better deals are bare units only.
    ajm00706/05/2019 22:00

Really appreciate that information on the batteries. Didn't know that at …Really appreciate that information on the batteries. Didn't know that at all and that makes them a really bad deal battery wise, don't want to be buying new batteries all the time. I will see if I can find a work one, but failing that I might just do as you say and wait for a good deal on the better brands. Shame most of the better deals are bare units only.

some links for you to look at..

the top two are aldi on line so you can order direct. just keep your paperwork for the + 3 Years Guarantee. all you do if it fails is take it to the store and return it for a refund.

the other two are from screwfix, again you can buy on line or pop into your local store. all of them i have picked are great for home diy.

points to look for is how many battery's it come with. one is ok for basic home diy of your not doing a project but two is much better.
    charge time of the battery's is also worth looking at..fast charge between 30-60 mins.. no more

hope this gives you a little bit extra help and something to look at...

aldi.co.uk/wor…200 (with samsung battery) + 3 Years Guarantee

aldi.co.uk/18v…600 + 3 Years Guarantee

screwfix.com/p/d…10p

screwfix.com/p/b…4fv
    Author
    winter_zombie7 h, 31 m ago

some links for you to look at..the top two are aldi on line so you can …some links for you to look at..the top two are aldi on line so you can order direct. just keep your paperwork for the + 3 Years Guarantee. all you do if it fails is take it to the store and return it for a refund.the other two are from screwfix, again you can buy on line or pop into your local store. all of them i have picked are great for home diy. points to look for is how many battery's it come with. one is ok for basic home diy of your not doing a project but two is much better.charge time of the battery's is also worth looking at..fast charge between 30-60 mins.. no morehope this gives you a little bit extra help and something to look at...https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-20v-cordless-hammer-drill/p/007433246553200 (with samsung battery) + 3 Years Guaranteehttps://www.aldi.co.uk/18v-li-ion-drill-&-driver-kit/p/085571226226600 + 3 Years Guaranteehttps://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-xr-cordless-combi-drill/2710p https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-06019h1170-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-coolpack-cordless-combi-drill/714fv

Really appreciate the info and links you gave. At least I have a better idea at what I should be looking for. The links you gave are for a normal Drill though and I am mainly looking for an impact driver. Although the one from screwfix included both.
    If you are planning to include saws & sanders in the family of kit you are planning to invest, its worth investing in tools with brushless motor. On the cheaper side Screwfix Erbauer EXT & Lidl Parkside Performance tools are brushless
    are any of these batteries swappable. i know that some brands are all made at same facory, erbauer,parkside,einhell etc, can use lidl battery in ferrex tool? it would save buying chargers and all that
    As an owner of both parkside and ferrex tools
    Daz_EOd

, can you tell me if the batteries are swap-able between the 2 brands?
    Not sure invest, is term I would use with tools. Sure, I can understand - a production workshop needing reliable tools - that produce quality precise outcomes. However, if the tolerance of the build is wide enough, then precision becomes less meaningful.

For me its about, cost vs features vs a reasonable precision criteria.... the life-cycle in the early years is taken care of by the standard warranty and in later years... another product will become available for the right price... longevity not so worried about. Brand name... not so bothered about. (edited)
's avatar