Expired

Ferry Hand Luggage Security Check?

Found 3rd Jul 2012
On Monday I will be getting the Stena line Ferry with a few friends to Amsterdam for a few days. Was just wondering whether there is any form of security check when boarding the ferry. Not a massive problem, but I'll have a big electric cigarette in my bag and a few liquids, so would rather know in advanced so I can minimize longing out the whole procedure when boarding.

Cheers.
Community Updates
17 Comments
You still go through a Customs area yep - its up to them if they want to single you out for a full search!
Basically yes, you will get screwed for the weed you want to bring back, and/or whatever you are smuggleing into amsterdam
Original Poster
olympians

Basically yes, you will get screwed for the weed you want to bring back, … Basically yes, you will get screwed for the weed you want to bring back, and/or whatever you are smuggleing into amsterdam

X)
It depends on the security condition in the port. The regulations are covered in the ISPS Code.
At Level 1, which is normal security level, the ferry company has to inspect 20% of all passengers and luggage. This is to search for concealed weapons and dangerous/prohibited items; this search is not part of a customs search so your excess cigarettes/booze/weed will not be confiscated (unless the ships crew are due to have a party).
chris2010uk

X)

By all means try, if it's just a bit of weed you should easily be able to do it.

I generally suggest driving if you want to smuggle something in/out.
Original Poster
pugw$sh

It depends on the security condition in the port. The regulations are … It depends on the security condition in the port. The regulations are covered in the ISPS Code.At Level 1, which is normal security level, the ferry company has to inspect 20% of all passengers and luggage. This is to search for concealed weapons and dangerous/prohibited items; this search is not part of a customs search so your excess cigarettes/booze/weed will not be confiscated (unless the ships crew are due to have a party).

Okay thanks for the info. I honestly ain't planning on taking anything illegal. But electric cigaretts and the liquids do look rather suspect, and I won't be looking forward to any searches and trying to explain what they are. Also not cheap, so will be mightily annoyed if they're taken away.
I don't think the liquids is applied to ships I think that is only an aircraft regulation. The electric cigarettes, are they like Nicorette things? Being totally honest the only stuff I've ever seen confiscated is knives and stuff, and it is usually just retained onboard and given back to you when you depart the vessel.
Original Poster
pugw$sh

I don't think the liquids is applied to ships I think that is only an … I don't think the liquids is applied to ships I think that is only an aircraft regulation. The electric cigarettes, are they like Nicorette things? Being totally honest the only stuff I've ever seen confiscated is knives and stuff, and it is usually just retained onboard and given back to you when you depart the vessel.

That's good to know then. There's different types of electric cigs. Some which look like real ones, some which don't. The one that I'm taking looks like a detonator oO
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/866/871/463/463871866_116.jpg
[img]t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzgD9tX3vw3CcAHCi4Bw8ctJZOSm0YhcCN3e6XLs7uEsuyfzbG4W_1N42eaA[/img]
davelfc

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzgD9tX3vw3CcAHCi4Bw8ctJZOSm0YhcCN3e6XLs7uEsuyfzbG4W_1N42eaA[/img]

That's me on the right..........
Original Poster
pugw$sh

That's me on the right..........

X) X)
I hope our captain doesn't have the same sense of navigation as Albert had.
Has that new law been passed yet where you cannot 'use' a coffee shop unless you are a local?? oO
u a car or foot passenger?

been a few times and never been checked or stopped in the car. once as foot, but that was when i was very young so can't remember.

should be no issue!
Original Poster
magicbeans

u a car or foot passenger?been a few times and never been checked or … u a car or foot passenger?been a few times and never been checked or stopped in the car. once as foot, but that was when i was very young so can't remember.should be no issue!

Foot
[quote][No, never will be either :)/quote]

Good! Was going to go this year but was put off by the prospect of not being able to 'immerse' myself in the full coffee shop experience! Can you recommend any?
Want to take some champagne to Amsterdam by ferry as a gift for a friend . Is this allowed.
Yea should be ok

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions