Groups

Fiancee is pregnant - need a second car

Hi guys,
    My fiancee is pregnant and due some time in January, we're getting married in May so we're both flat out saving right now for the wedding/baby since it is likely she will not return to work. We currently rent our house and have one 3 door Corsa. We both reckon we need a second car for when the baby is born, particularly a 5 door car.

I don't think we'll be able to save for the car alongside the wedding so I'm considering taking out a loan to purchase a car, has anyone been in a similar situation? Is leasing a car smarter?

Any advice for a soon to be parent trying to save would be great
    Thanks

23 Comments

It looked like you need a second.... as in to contemplate the bleakness of existence....... glad to see the next line was car!!!

Can't at all help on the car front I'm afraid but congratulations to you and your fiancé

running a second car is very expensive so what will you need the second for?

Original Poster

mutley1

running a second car is very expensive so what will you need the second … running a second car is very expensive so what will you need the second for?

We live in the middle of nowhere, so if I'm working 9-5 with one car it leaves the other half stranded at home. Which isn't a big deal unless the baby was to take sick or something.

Magatame

We live in the middle of nowhere, so if I'm working 9-5 with one car it … We live in the middle of nowhere, so if I'm working 9-5 with one car it leaves the other half stranded at home. Which isn't a big deal unless the baby was to take sick or something.

it may be cheaper to call a cab when she does need to go some where in the short term until you guys have been able to save more money?

as far as i understand, most people actually buy cars on hire purchase because they can not afford to buy cars outright and it is actually unusual for people to buy cars outright for cash. if you do need a car then a loan or hire purchase appear the only way and as interest rates are so low at the moment, that will help you.

It's not that expensive to run two cars especially if you keep on using the corsa for work and let your Mrs use whichever 5 door car you buy as it'll probably have a bigger engine with being a bigger car.

I'd suggest getting a loan if you need to borrow money as the rates will be better but you could always get finance through the used car dealer if you need to and also might be able to haggle a bit more while taking finance as they get a backhander from the finance company for every car they sell using it. It's very rare you get any money off for cash nowadays at a dealer.

You seem switched on and it's good to see someone planning ahead. Congratulations to you and your Mrs too.

sorry if I sound cynical but I can't see what the issue is. If your thinking of getting a second car don't get one from a dealer look private. they don't have to cost the earth. Neither does a wedding, I can not see why people spend the same sort of money you could use as a deposit for a home on a wedding. It's supposed to be a day about showing your love for each other, not hundreds on dresses, thousands on hiring posh places and fancy meals.

I'd suggest leasing something like a Cactus. Five doors and the security of knowing they will be safe in a new car and no unexpected maintenance bills to worry about.

Link here

Purps

sorry if I sound cynical but I can't see what the issue is. If your … sorry if I sound cynical but I can't see what the issue is. If your thinking of getting a second car don't get one from a dealer look private. they don't have to cost the earth. Neither does a wedding, I can not see why people spend the same sort of money you could use as a deposit for a home on a wedding. It's supposed to be a day about showing your love for each other, not hundreds on dresses, thousands on hiring posh places and fancy meals.

i agree about spending lots of money on weddings but each to their own and i can understand why most people would want to have a big wedding.

it is an experience of a life time and people want to celebrate that special time in their life with something memorable. it should only ever come once in anyone's life time (but sadly divorce sort of spoils this ideology but at the time of marriage, no one ever thinks about this possibility!)

you can always make more money but you can never get that special moment in your life when you get married more than once

Congrats
    Your main car should be a five door-we managed with a 3 door one for almost 8 months-wasn't easy. But we did it.

A second car would be ideal but not end of world. Emergencies can be managed-if serious, they would have an ambulance out. 111 type stuff a taxi could manage.
    If your fiancé likes to be out and about (I know I did) then maybe a car is a necessity if public transport isn't great there. A cheap run around for our commutes and a semi decent one for her and baby?

Best wishes

Original Poster

mutley1

it may be cheaper to call a cab when she does need to go some where in … it may be cheaper to call a cab when she does need to go some where in the short term until you guys have been able to save more money?as far as i understand, most people actually buy cars on hire purchase because they can not afford to buy cars outright and it is actually unusual for people to buy cars outright for cash. if you do need a car then a loan or hire purchase appear the only way and as interest rates are so low at the moment, that will help you.

True, not sure taxis are feasible though as we're about 15 miles away from the nearest taxi/town

Original Poster

tonytonitone

CongratsYour main car should be a five door-we managed with a 3 door one … CongratsYour main car should be a five door-we managed with a 3 door one for almost 8 months-wasn't easy. But we did it.A second car would be ideal but not end of world. Emergencies can be managed-if serious, they would have an ambulance out. 111 type stuff a taxi could manage.If your fiancé likes to be out and about (I know I did) then maybe a car is a necessity if public transport isn't great there. A cheap run around for our commutes and a semi decent one for her and baby?Best wishes

This is what I'm thinking, nearest bus stop is 4 miles away so that's the main problem with public transport She's not really one for being out and about but I imagine if she's at home all the time with a baby she'll want to go out every now and then

Everyone's circumstances are different but if I was stranded with a baby in the 'middle of nowhere' I'd soon go stir crazy. Wouldn't renting a house nearer to work, parks and amenities make more sense? Does your partner work / intend to work after having the baby? Do you want to get on the housing ladder later on. We've always done OK buying diesels with higher than average motorway miles but you (or a friend) need to be quite knowledgeable about cars as you could easily be stung with a car needing a new turbo or fuel pump. Even injectors are costly these days but there's a lot you can tell by what comes out of the exhaust.

One suggestion for the wedding - get a couple of friends to make or buy the cake, it's one cost off you and a good present from them. (If you really are in the middle of no where she may just go mad if she can't get to toddler group etc. Good luck.)

Magatame

True, not sure taxis are feasible though as we're about 15 miles away … True, not sure taxis are feasible though as we're about 15 miles away from the nearest taxi/town

then you will need a car. you could ask that wedding guests give you cash instead of presents to build up funds for the much necessary car

wouldn't it be cheaper to move into town or a local village? Getting to baby groups will be much easier

Sex before marriage, disgusting

4Real2016

Sex before marriage, disgusting

​Yep, Theresa May will have to put a stop to that once she forms a coalition with the DUP.

You should plan ahead, nothing sporty or expensive to insure...I had a T-top convertible car when I was dating my present wife now I've got an 8 seater bus, 4 kids and 2 dogs. Given up on having a mid life crisis, my friends regularly point out I'm well passed it now.

If she's not going to be out and about all the time get a big engined, large 4x4 or something like a Ford Galaxy or Kia Sedona. They are unpopular because they are expensive to run so you can get some real bargains, but if you aren't doing many miles then it's not going to cost much more to run annually than a small engined economical car.
    Do the sums, 60 miles a week = 1 gallon in a tiny economical car = £6. Or 60 miles a week = 1 1/2 gallons or £9 in a large 7 seater (take the rear 2 seats out and no need to collapse pram).

The extra space will be welcome with a baby too (you can't have enough space with a baby - in the car or in the home).

I'd recommend a Kia sedona 2.9crdi automatic, loads of space, comfortable to drive and solid. If you buy second hand you don't lose much money in depreciation.
    Edited by: "mrty" 10th Jun

I would suggest a car, at home alone all day with a baby will be hard and could be isolating. If there are local groups it would be good to have the option.

Check if work do a salary sacrifice scheme for a car, if not I'd go mid range, not too cheap so repairs could be very regular. Ask friends/family if they are planning on part exchanging cars soon and offer what the garage offer as often less than market value. A bank loan is often cheaper than garage but do check first. Good luck with everything.

Nissan LEAF on PCP if it suits your daily commute needs. No petrol bills, minimal servicing, no road tax, 5 doors, proper family size car. Easy to drive. Ours is for 2 years, under £200 a month. Does over 100 urban miles for £3 electricity. Costs nothing to be "idling" in traffic jams.
    Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 12th Jun

Electric Nissan leaf
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. buy to let mortgage22
      2. Virgin media sign up68
      3. Xiaomi phones46
      4. Cheapest Amazon Prime subscription?11

See more discussions