Expired

Fiat 500 (New) - Constant live wire?

Found 31st May 2014
Struggling to find any information on a constant live wire in the fiat 500.
I don't have a Haynes manual for it, so can't take a look.

Does anyone have a haynes that could take a look, or point me in the right direction to find the information?
Thank you

1. Ask
  2. Fiat
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Fiat
29 Comments

Original Poster

wellen1981

this any good to ya...http://www.mediafire.com/?znjnjklly1h

Might have been at one point.

"Invalid or Deleted File.
The key you provided for file access was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire."

What was it?

ah sorry give me a sec it was the factory manual for your car
better than a haynes maybe?

EDIT: here you go

fiatforum.com/dow…php
Edited by: "wellen1981" 31st May 2014

Original Poster

wellen1981

ah sorry give me a sec it was the factory manual for your carbetter than … ah sorry give me a sec it was the factory manual for your carbetter than a haynes maybe?EDIT: here you gohttp://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Not too sure that there's any wiring diagrams there though

teh arn

Thanks, I'll take a look.Not too sure that there's any wiring diagrams … Thanks, I'll take a look.Not too sure that there's any wiring diagrams there though

yeah after i read more on there it seems its a dead end o info of use there anymore
im still looking give me a few mins mate.

I'm sorry I cannot find anything online for the modern fiat 500 neither haynes or workshop manuals for you to have a quick look at. Sorry.

I'm thinking if you HAVE to, maybe amazon haynes manual order then send back 'oops ordered the wrong manual' wink wink.

Original Poster

wellen1981

I'm sorry I cannot find anything online for the modern fiat 500 neither … I'm sorry I cannot find anything online for the modern fiat 500 neither haynes or workshop manuals for you to have a quick look at. Sorry.

That's fine. I asked here because I was struggling.
Might have to go out and get a Haynes.
Seems a waste of money to locate one wire though.

Try looking on fiatforum

What are you trying to wire in? A permanent live wire would be found at the hazard light switch, ignition switch, fuse box.

Original Poster

The Therapist

What are you trying to wire in? A permanent live wire would be found at … What are you trying to wire in? A permanent live wire would be found at the hazard light switch, ignition switch, fuse box.

Dashcam.
Was looking for any wires that were easily accessible; I'll see what those are like.
Might just have to pull it through to the engine bay.

Dash cam is low power. What about from the interior light or from the back of the stereo? Would only go to engine bay as a last resort.

Original Poster

The Therapist

Dash cam is low power. What about from the interior light or from the … Dash cam is low power. What about from the interior light or from the back of the stereo? Would only go to engine bay as a last resort.

That's what i'm thinking, but I would like to know what cables are what before I start splicing into anything

The unit should have an ISO adapter once the stereo is removed. The normal pin out layout is as follows but do confirm with a voltmeter first.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/427/497/657/657497427_920.jpg

I managed to find a live in a spare slot in a fuse board, it was a slot with no fuse in, I just pushed a spade connector in the place where a fuse should go, not sure how you work out amp rating tho

ding

I managed to find a live in a spare slot in a fuse board, it was a slot … I managed to find a live in a spare slot in a fuse board, it was a slot with no fuse in, I just pushed a spade connector in the place where a fuse should go, not sure how you work out amp rating tho

This is one approach to take

Original Poster

muzzzzzzzzzy

This is one approach to take

It is, but again it comes to having a wiring diagram.

Look in your manual and consider which fuse might be live. By a fuse tap to use that fuse position as a supply.

Original Poster

pghstochaj

Look in your manual and consider which fuse might be live. By a fuse tap … Look in your manual and consider which fuse might be live. By a fuse tap to use that fuse position as a supply.

Honestly would still prefer to use a wiring diagram rather than guesswork.

Why?

Original Poster

pghstochaj

Why?

Peace of mind.
The GF drives the car, so would rather she didn't get stuck in a ball of flames.
That wouldn't be great for the relationship....

How will a wiring diagram prevent that? It won't change the nature of electricity. Your car will go up in flames if you do a bad job. Oh well, use fiat forum for this type of thing, but car wiring diagrams are rarely available and not detailed - cars are made up of lots of black boxes now.

If you find a perm live in the fuse box and appropriately fuse your off take then it's unlikely to be a problem - going off the battery and routing a cable through the engine bay and bulk head has far more risks.

Original Poster

pghstochaj

How will a wiring diagram prevent that? It won't change the nature of … How will a wiring diagram prevent that? It won't change the nature of electricity. Your car will go up in flames if you do a bad job. Oh well, use fiat forum for this type of thing, but car wiring diagrams are rarely available and not detailed - cars are made up of lots of black boxes now.If you find a perm live in the fuse box and appropriately fuse your off take then it's unlikely to be a problem - going off the battery and routing a cable through the engine bay and bulk head has far more risks.

Because I'll know what goes where, power, amps, fuses etc. I'll see everything and know what to avoid and what to do.

Car wiring diagrams are very detailed. Every one I've looked at show the entire loom and more.
No idea what ones you've been looking at.

You want a simple power feed, dozens of these are provided safely in the fuse box. What will a wiring diagram show you that's helpful? You know where the feed comes from and you know where it is going based on the fuse type. I don't see why you want to make your life difficult or what you will achieve. It's a simple fiat car.

Try working on a fibre based car - wiring diagrams are full of black boxes, not positives and earths.

Original Poster

pghstochaj

You want a simple power feed, dozens of these are provided safely in the … You want a simple power feed, dozens of these are provided safely in the fuse box. What will a wiring diagram show you that's helpful? You know where the feed comes from and you know where it is going based on the fuse type. I don't see why you want to make your life difficult or what you will achieve. It's a simple fiat car.Try working on a fibre based car - wiring diagrams are full of black boxes, not positives and earths.

I'd prefer to use a wiring diagram, thanks for the input.

You are deluded if you think a wiring digram is better, The haynes wiring diagram isn't made by a manufacturer and involves someone tracing all the wires; a sem-skilled person with a multimeter could do the same.

Original Poster

muzzzzzzzzzy

You are deluded if you think a wiring digram is better, The haynes wiring … You are deluded if you think a wiring digram is better, The haynes wiring diagram isn't made by a manufacturer and involves someone tracing all the wires; a sem-skilled person with a multimeter could do the same.

A wiring diagram is better than what?

I've used them before and had no issues. Found them to be great with the 2 kit cars I've built and the Jensen Healey I've restored.

Thanks for the comment.

teh arn

A wiring diagram is better than what? I've used them before and had no … A wiring diagram is better than what? I've used them before and had no issues. Found them to be great with the 2 kit cars I've built and the Jensen Healey I've restored.

What i am trying to say is that Haynes wiring digrams aren't magic, I bought one and it didn't help much as expected and is better suited to working out wires for an alarm install.

The fuse box is the cleanest source of live current you're going to get, mnost insurance trackers are fitted to the fuse box

Original Poster

muzzzzzzzzzy

What i am trying to say is that Haynes wiring digrams aren't magic, I … What i am trying to say is that Haynes wiring digrams aren't magic, I bought one and it didn't help much as expected and is better suited to working out wires for an alarm install.The fuse box is the cleanest source of live current you're going to get, mnost insurance trackers are fitted to the fuse box

I'm not saying that they're magic. Just saying that I would prefer to use one before making any changes.

I've used a couple of Haynes and found them to be perfect for what I needed it for, including a full engine lo rebuild.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants