Found 6th Mar
can any of you recommend a good fiber optic router?

the one I have is a very poor and very restricted one and I'm thinking of changing it

Thanks for your time

1. Ask
  2. Router
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Router
9 Comments

Fibre routers are few and far between. Your best buying a decent normal router and putting your current router in bridge mode.

Who is the provider? Your ISP?

Edited by: "getmeone" 6th Mar

Fibre router could mean at least two things. Are you talking about a router with a built in VDSL modem for an FTTC service, a router with a WAN ethernet port to connect to an FTTP termination or something else entirely?

I use a Asus DSL N66U ADSL/VDSL modem/router and its been good. but that's an older model now.

Original Poster

I need a GPON router. non UK ISP

johnro

I need a GPON router. non UK ISP

Nope you just need to disable DHCP server on the fibre modem and link it to the wan socket of a decent wifi router. You can use anything from a raspberry pi to route packets and act as a firewall. A router is only used to connect networks.

Original Poster

Yeah, I thought I'll replaced my free one with a decent one. I already have the fiber router and a separate home Wi-Fi one

the free one has blocked the WiFi and 3 out of 4lan ports by default (company policy)

I was looking to replace my 2 device setup with a only 1 device setup (if anything better then my ones out there)

johnro

Yeah, I thought I'll replaced my free one with a decent one. I already … Yeah, I thought I'll replaced my free one with a decent one. I already have the fiber router and a separate home Wi-Fi onethe free one has blocked the WiFi and 3 out of 4lan ports by default (company policy)I was looking to replace my 2 device setup with a only 1 device setup (if anything better then my ones out there)

VDSL/FTTC maybe but with Fibre/Cable it's not going to happen as your modem mac address and serial number wont be registered with their network. These devices are very low powered so it's not really an issue and I'd just plug the modem into a switch and use that to connect the router. Remember your router/wifi AP should be around 6 to 7 foot off the ground to be effective and ideally it should be near the centre of all the devices you're transmitting to.

People keep putting them in cupboards or leaving them on the floor and complain about poor wifi speeds
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best/cheapest music service66
    2. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?311
    3. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?812
    4. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…33

See more discussions