Fibre Broadband Help

Found 15th Nov 2017
Hey guys,

My broadband provider is BT (infinity 1) and i pay around £26/month. As BT are increasing the price in Jan 2018 I'm looking to change my provider.

Devices used:
2 x smart phones
2 x Tablets
Xbox one
Smart TV - Online streaming (Netflix,YouTube & kodi)

I'm thinking to step down to the 38Mbs package. Will that be sufficient to use the devices mentioned?

Options:
- Vodafone fibre broadband - 38Mbs
- Plusnet fibre broadband - 38Mbs
- BT infinity 1 (New customer) - 52Mb

2828441-O4p0V.jpg
2828441-FPgRS.jpg
2828441-WxwEX.jpg
Any suggestions whom to choose?

Many Thanks

Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
I use the basic internet mate. Hardly 10 mbs. We've got 2 phones, one tablet, one smart tv, two computers, Xbox, PS4, Vita all connected to that an no problem at all streaming or playing. Obviously I don't get to play much or all these devices are not being used at the same time but I am just giving you an example of how things could work together with minimum. The usage may vary from household to household. I don't play or watch films every day etc.
mixmixi4 m ago

I use the basic internet mate. Hardly 10 mbs. We've got 2 phones, one …I use the basic internet mate. Hardly 10 mbs. We've got 2 phones, one tablet, one smart tv, two computers, Xbox, PS4, Vita all connected to that an no problem at all streaming or playing. Obviously I don't get to play much or all these devices are not being used at the same time but I am just giving you an example of how things could work together with minimum. The usage may vary from household to household. I don't play or watch films every day etc.

Thanks @mixmixi So stepping down on the speed isn't a bad idea rite?
If I pick Vodafone or Plusnet can I use the BT router? Reading through I found BT router is superior.
Also any idea on these providers?
Sorry for bombarding you with questions.
You could just extend your BT price for 18 months and avoid the January increase, you might be on Infinity 1 but you'll be getting up to 76 mbps after last months free speed boost.
vassy12 m ago

Thanks @mixmixi So stepping down on the speed isn't a bad idea rite? If I …Thanks @mixmixi So stepping down on the speed isn't a bad idea rite? If I pick Vodafone or Plusnet can I use the BT router? Reading through I found BT router is superior. Also any idea on these providers? Sorry for bombarding you with questions.

Unfortunately I am not the right guy to answer your router questions. Also, I am not suggesting anything. All I am saying is I am using my household as an example for you. We do play online together (sometimes) and during those periods I am playing on a basic internet with my wife watching something on youtube etc. We still can play and I always win, right? Right?
We are with Sky, got it through one of those deals that you will end up paying almost nothing.
mixmixi2 m ago

Unfortunately I am not the right guy to answer your router questions. …Unfortunately I am not the right guy to answer your router questions. Also, I am not suggesting anything. All I am saying is I am using my household as an example for you. We do play online together (sometimes) and during those periods I am playing on a basic internet with my wife watching something on youtube etc. We still can play and I always win, right? Right? We are with Sky, got it through one of those deals that you will end up paying almost nothing.

Ha ha ha!! Thanks buddy
BT router is locked down as far as I understand and can't be used with another provider unfortunately
You might find 38mbps a bit restrictive if you stream 4K.
I would never go back to broadband after being on fibre (given the choice), that's a massive no no. Plusnet for me is 99% reliable.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 15th Nov 2017
You need to bear in mind future usage as you will likely be locking in for a year, you seem pretty lihgt on devices... any chance of games consoles smart tv's etc being added over christmas? Obviously you use your devices wirelessly.. house size and construction will affect wifi range, but even with a router with poorer range a £15 ish repeater will fix most issues. Be sure to check reviews for the providers you are considering in your area.. although as a whole they may be good you often find localised issues due to service over subscription poor street eqpt etc
Joshfount34 m ago

BT router is locked down as far as I understand and can't be used with …BT router is locked down as far as I understand and can't be used with another provider unfortunately

Thanks that s a key info to know.
parsimony22 m ago

You might find 38mbps a bit restrictive if you stream 4K.

No we don't stream much at 4k other than MKBHD s video in 4k
RiverDragon823 m ago

I would never go back to broadband after being on fibre (given the …I would never go back to broadband after being on fibre (given the choice), that's a massive no no. Plusnet for me is 99% reliable.

Thanks. I was considering it but after reading comments I'm doubtful.
simmyoto23 m ago

You need to bear in mind future usage as you will likely be locking in for …You need to bear in mind future usage as you will likely be locking in for a year, you seem pretty lihgt on devices... any chance of games consoles smart tv's etc being added over christmas? Obviously you use your devices wirelessly.. house size and construction will affect wifi range, but even with a router with poorer range a £15 ish repeater will fix most issues. Be sure to check reviews for the providers you are considering in your area.. although as a whole they may be good you often find localised issues due to service over subscription poor street eqpt etc

Much appreciated. No we won't be adding any more console or smart tv. My Tele and console are connected to the router via cable to keep it at good speed. As you said I need to read the review of the providers in my area. Cheers
I used to use my HH3 on Plusnet, also try googling John Lewis broadband it's run through Plusnet but works out cheaper for some reason, although I do know a BT router will not work with John Lewis broadband.
I would go to Vodafone 76mb
18 months contract
Hi Vassy,

I've got a bit of experience with this topic as I've moved rented accommodation a few times in the last few years. I did start with Virgin's 100mb line, then went to BT's 60mb line, then went to BT's broadband (20mb line as I live close to the exchange).
My usage: xbox one - battlefield 1 multiplayer, netflix 4k streaming, occasional bit torrent, occasional Kodi streaming

Here is what I found:
- Xbox One online gaming was perfectly fine (to my surprise).
- Xbox One downloads are fully utilising my connection (20mb/s downloads)
- Bit torrent downloads do suffer in terms of download speeds when you downgrade the line.
- Netflix 4k streaming is also perfectly fine.
- Kodi streaming is ok, I think that's more dependant on the server rather than your end.

For the last 3 years, I was paying £5-7 / month for my broadband (not including landline cost as I pay that yearly).

This week, my contract was coming to an end and called the cancellations at BT who offered my Infinity 50mb line for £9 a month, so I took it. Like other people have pointed out, this is an 18 month contract and will not be affected by the Jan price hike.

From what I've heard from other people, other provider's service can be a pain in the back so I would personally stick to the big guns for my services (BT or Virgin). btw... Routers can ware out over time so you can demand a new router when you renew your contract... and get the delivery charge taken off.

Hope this helps.
Edited by: "ZuuperMan" 16th Nov 2017
ZuuperMan5 m ago

Hi Vassy,I've got a bit of experience with this topic as I've moved rented …Hi Vassy,I've got a bit of experience with this topic as I've moved rented accommodation a few times in the last few years. I did start with Virgin's 100mb line, then went to BT's 60mb line, then went to BT's broadband (20mb line as I live close to the exchange). My usage: xbox one - battlefield 1 multiplayer, netflix 4k streaming, occasional bit torrent, occasional Kodi streamingHere is what I found:- Xbox One online gaming was perfectly fine (to my surprise). - Xbox One downloads are fully utilising my connection (20mb/s downloads)- Bit torrent downloads do suffer in terms of download speeds when you downgrade the line.- Netflix 4k streaming is also perfectly fine.- Kodi streaming is ok, I think that's more dependant on the server rather than your end.For the last 3 years, I was paying £5-7 / month for my broadband (not including landline cost as I pay that yearly). This week, my contract was coming to an end and called the cancellations at BT who offered my Infinity 50mb line for £9 a month, so I took it. Like other people have pointed out, this is an 18 month contract and will not be affected by the Jan price hike.From what I've heard from other people, other provider's service can be a pain in the back so I would personally stick to the big guns for my services (BT or Virgin). btw... Routers can ware out over time so you can demand a new router when you renew your contract... and get the delivery charge taken off. Hope this helps.

Thanks @ZuuperMan very helpful. Much appreciated. I’m looking to get back to BT if I don’t find any good provider tbh.

You are a Superman
Hi all. Spoke to retention team.

BT infinity 1 + BT sport (App) for 18 months @ £26.49

Looked good as I couldn’t find a reliable alternate option went for this. Thanks all
vassy117th Nov

Hi all. Spoke to retention team. BT infinity 1 + BT sport (App) for 18 …Hi all. Spoke to retention team. BT infinity 1 + BT sport (App) for 18 months @ £26.49Looked good as I couldn’t find a reliable alternate option went for this. Thanks all

Hey vassy1, I am currently with virgin media and the deal they are offering me right is just crazy. I have 10 devices connected and my current speed is 50mbs. Virgin media does handle it really well. I was hoping to switch to bt or sky. How was your experience with bt ?
parasyte2 h, 32 m ago

Hey vassy1, I am currently with virgin media and the deal they are …Hey vassy1, I am currently with virgin media and the deal they are offering me right is just crazy. I have 10 devices connected and my current speed is 50mbs. Virgin media does handle it really well. I was hoping to switch to bt or sky. How was your experience with bt ?

Hey. BT have been really good.. my down speed 48mb and up 10+MB’s so always been fast. Customer service is good with online chat. Make sure you check whether your area gets good coverage by BT. Get the smart hub router. Makes if so easy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants