Groups

fibre Broadband installation fee

Why is there an installation/activation fee for Fibre Broadband? I can maybe understand the initial installation but to be charged just to change providers is rubbish.

7 Comments

Because connecting you to a different provider presumably costs money and those involved have decided it's a better idea to charge it directly rather than add it onto other costs.

It's not a huge amount, I think it's £10-15 these days isn't it?

Ask for a new faceplate to be included if you're being charged.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Because connecting you to a different provider presumably costs money and … Because connecting you to a different provider presumably costs money and those involved have decided it's a better idea to charge it directly rather than add it onto other costs. It's not a huge amount, I think it's £10-15 these days isn't it?

Around £49 although some places give you discount

Standi

Around £49 although some places give you discount

That was the price until two years ago, it's £11 Excl. VAT now:
    openreach.co.uk/orp…%3D

I'm not sure whether that also includes national networks that reach down to the exchange level though (TalkTalk etc.), it may be more money for those.

Alternatively, ISPs may be charging the £49 to cover other costs.

I moved from sky, was told I would have to pay as an engineer would have to attend to switch over, so I haggled and said lose that fee and I will sign up, after a price haggle as well, but then was told oh it's fine it's an electronic switch over so no visit needed! Lol

Original Poster

westy125

I moved from sky, was told I would have to pay as an engineer would have … I moved from sky, was told I would have to pay as an engineer would have to attend to switch over, so I haggled and said lose that fee and I will sign up, after a price haggle as well, but then was told oh it's fine it's an electronic switch over so no visit needed! Lol

I have tried to haggle with several companies and not one of them budged.

BT charge £31 to disconnect fibre broadband. Daylight robbery.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Decent hoover66
      2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)46
      3. Job Centre sending text to confirm appointment66
      4. Iptv814

See more discussions