Fibre Broadband - New Build Property

Found 28th May 2016
I know there has been a similar question to this last year but wanted to check for newer info.

Just bought a new build and I believe that the street just got hooked up and ready after months without.

In the welcome pack the BB section mentions Openreach fiber to the property /premises (fttp) - Happy days!

Having been with Sky Broadband (not fibre) for the past 6 months, i called them to move address but was told they cannot find services therefore cannot continue with them. Not the end of the world as I managed to get them to cancel without charges.

They did mention that as It's a brand new property, and the fact that Openreach seems to be connected /Live, only BT will b able to offer services and that new builds are generally contracted to one isp for a number of years!?

I've since tried a number of isp searches but nothing comes up under the address for normal broadband. The only thing I can find is Bt infinity.

Really don't want to be paying loads for fibre as normal Bb was good enough for my uses.

Are Sky right? Do i need to lock myself in with Bt on a fibre deal?

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Community Updates
AskBroadband
11 Comments
We had the same issue although in our case, bt had installed the fibre to the house components and even hung and plugged in the fibre white box along with the backup battery but then took a further 4 months activating it. At the time we were also advised we couldn't go with anyone else as the fibre to the home technology was not something sky worked with. Night have changed now however our was less than a year ago so who knows.
Original Poster

We had the same issue although in our case, bt had installed the fibre to … We had the same issue although in our case, bt had installed the fibre to the house components and even hung and plugged in the fibre white box along with the backup battery but then took a further 4 months activating it. At the time we were also advised we couldn't go with anyone else as the fibre to the home technology was not something sky worked with. Night have changed now however our was less than a year ago so who knows.

Same set up in ours. Box and power all connecting and working according to Bt when I called yesterday. Just a bit annoying when I was discussing sky BB with the sales agent and the site manager in depth whilst our pre moving in tour.
It's a database issue.
ISPs can only place an order with openreach for properties on the database.
Openreach deliberately delay adding new builds
BT retail, who are supposed to operate under the same rules as other ISPs, can side load an order, thus ensuring their monopoly continues.
I had the fibre line installed for a year in my road before sky got the option to provide to it, three years later it's now open to all providers,
Original Poster
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm gonna have to stick with BT for 12 months. Hopefully they can install/activate this quickly due to everything working and ready to go? Obviously I'll need to wait for the router delivery.
Original Poster

It's a database issue.ISPs can only place an order with openreach for … It's a database issue.ISPs can only place an order with openreach for properties on the database.Openreach deliberately delay adding new buildsBT retail, who are supposed to operate under the same rules as other ISPs, can side load an order, thus ensuring their monopoly continues.

How long we talking? Others have moved in since last Nov and they're only getting Internet connection now. Heard this from the developers not the actual owners themselves.

How long we talking? Others have moved in since last Nov and they're only … How long we talking? Others have moved in since last Nov and they're only getting Internet connection now. Heard this from the developers not the actual owners themselves.

It depends, to a large extent, on you and the other owners.
There is no official reason that you can't go with whoever you choose, but you would have to badger BT to update the database. Threaten them with ofcom etc.
I know of people who have contacted BT as if placing an order and asked what cabinet they are on, they then use this info get another ISP to place a "manual order" which bypasses the database. But most ISPs sales agents don't know they can do it. With Sky if you can get them to pass it on to tier 3 then they will definitely know how to do it. But most simply toe the party line and say "if it's not on the screen I can't place an order"
I have had FTTP for well over a year now and I am told by other providers that they can provide FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) but not FTTP. Apparently it is only BT that can provide FTTP so have a bit of a monopoly.
We have a new build and struggled with awful standard broadband lucky to get 2mbs found a company locally called boundless where the broadband is wireless to the house to a little reciever on the roof, currently get a steady 10mbs with an option to upgrade to 20. It's obviously not as good as Virgin/infinity ect but certainly does the job until those services are available, I'm in the north west (Chorley) maybe there's something similar local to you?
Edited by: "davzzp" 28th May 2016
sky don't offer fttp so that's why they said there are no services, BT are the cheapest for fttp, plusnet provide it but only if you take adsl and then upgrade to fttp.

have a look at forums.thinkbroadband.com/ loads of useful information there.
just read that you don't want fttp, look at the forums.thinkbroadband.com/ they should be able to give you accurate information.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions