Fibre Installed for 4 Months - Yet Still Not Available?

Posted 3rd Oct
About 4 months ago we had workers outside our house installing fibre-optic cabling down the manhole cover directly opposite our house on the other side of the road. After the work had been finished, I checked the BT Openreach website which had been updated for our postcode to say ‘Great news. More reliable, future-proof and faster Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) is available today at this postcode’. I also phoned BT who confirmed they were able to start offering us fibre-optic broadband packages.

However, whenever I check the site of another broadband provider like Virgin Media or Sky, it tells me that fibre is NOT available and I can only get the typical speeds I am already used to receiving of 4.0Mbps. It has been over 4 months since the fibre was installed and showing as available on the Openreach website, so why can I still not get it with these other providers? I know most providers don’t offer FTTP at this point but they can still at least offer me a FTTC connection now that the fibre has been installed, right?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
Virgin use their own cable.
The other providers rent the lines off BT. Hence why BT can offer it you but others can't.
Actually it appears that as your broadband is fttp, and not many companies offer this they can't quote you. Read This
Yeah if its FTTP then its BT only. Use the checker below to check if FTTC is available, use your phone number to run the check

dslchecker.bt.com/ads…ome
Edited by: "4Real2016" 3rd Oct
4Real201603/10/2019 11:54

Yeah if its FTTP then its BT only. Use the checker below to check if FTTC …Yeah if its FTTP then its BT only. Use the checker below to check if FTTC is available, use your phone number to run the checkhttp://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Thanks, well I tried that but it says no data is available because I am not with BT. Currently I have line rental and broadband with Sky. / Edit: Maybe I'll try using the postcode checker instead.
Edited by: "OnePlus" 3rd Oct
Ringfinger03/10/2019 11:49

Actually it appears that as your broadband is fttp, and not many companies …Actually it appears that as your broadband is fttp, and not many companies offer this they can't quote you. Read This

Thanks, I will have a read through that. Someone told me that if FTTP is installed it means you can also opt to have FTTC if you don't require the hyperfast speeds. I guess that isn't true.
Having read the link Ringfinger poster it does look like Zen and AAISP can offer FTTP, not sure about Plusnet though.

You could run their broadband checkers.

aa.net.uk/

zen.co.uk/
4Real201603/10/2019 12:12

Having read the link Ringfinger poster it does look like Zen and AAISP can …Having read the link Ringfinger poster it does look like Zen and AAISP can offer FTTP, not sure about Plusnet though.You could run their broadband checkers.https://www.aa.net.uk/https://www.zen.co.uk/

Thanks! First I tried the checker on the AA website which says I can get FTTP with speeds of 80Mbps or 160Mbps depending on my choice. Either would be great. The checker on the Zen website gives me quite a few choices up to 300Mbps. But it is very expensive in comparison to the internet I have at the moment which is my biggest concern with all of the FTTP providers. While it would be nice to have near-hyperfast speeds, it is not vital as anything fibre would be a MASSIVE improvement over what I have at the moment.
OnePlus03/10/2019 12:09

Thanks, I will have a read through that. Someone told me that if FTTP is …Thanks, I will have a read through that. Someone told me that if FTTP is installed it means you can also opt to have FTTC if you don't require the hyperfast speeds. I guess that isn't true.

Yeah, that's wrong. You can often opt for packages offering the same speeds and prices as FTTC but you can't automatically opt for packages that require FTTC infrastructure, you'd need both techs installed (which many places do have, but FTTP-only installs do exist).

The 'only BT offer it' is also a myth. There are at least a dozen ISPs offering openreach FTTP packages. Although the two you mentioned, Virgin and Sky, aren't among them (although I believe Sky are planning to launch such packages soon). Many of the Big Discounters like Sky, TalkTalk, Plusnet and so on haven't been offering it yet because they need the volume to make their business model work.
OnePlus03/10/2019 12:23

Thanks! First I tried the checker on the AA website which says I can get …Thanks! First I tried the checker on the AA website which says I can get FTTP with speeds of 80Mbps or 160Mbps depending on my choice. Either would be great. The checker on the Zen website gives me quite a few choices up to 300Mbps. But it is very expensive in comparison to the internet I have at the moment which is my biggest concern with all of the FTTP providers. While it would be nice to have near-hyperfast speeds, it is not vital as anything fibre would be a MASSIVE improvement over what I have at the moment.

The first link I posted does also have an address check and postcode check, postcode check won't help though as it doesn't give FTTC availability.

dslchecker.bt.com/ads…ome
EndlessWaves03/10/2019 12:24

Yeah, that's wrong. You can often opt for packages offering the same …Yeah, that's wrong. You can often opt for packages offering the same speeds and prices as FTTC but you can't automatically opt for packages that require FTTC infrastructure, you'd need both techs installed (which many places do have, but FTTP-only installs do exist).The 'only BT offer it' is also a myth. There are at least a dozen ISPs offering openreach FTTP packages. Although the two you mentioned, Virgin and Sky, aren't among them (although I believe Sky are planning to launch such packages soon). Many of the Big Discounters like Sky, TalkTalk, Plusnet and so on haven't been offering it yet because they need the volume to make their business model work.

Thank you! That clears up all the questions and confusion I had about the different types of fibre and who can offer each of them. Looks like I just need to choose between one of the FTTP providers then! Maybe it would be worth phoning Sky and asking how long I would be looking at until they're able to offer it at my address. I'll try and shop around and see who can offer the best deal!
OnePlus03/10/2019 12:44

Thank you! That clears up all the questions and confusion I had about the …Thank you! That clears up all the questions and confusion I had about the different types of fibre and who can offer each of them. Looks like I just need to choose between one of the FTTP providers then! Maybe it would be worth phoning Sky and asking how long I would be looking at until they're able to offer it at my address. I'll try and shop around and see who can offer the best deal!

Try Plusnet. They're pretty competitive.
Ringfinger03/10/2019 13:37

Try Plusnet. They're pretty competitive.

Thanks. But do they offer FTTP services?
Myriad03/10/2019 14:22

They ran a trial and it ended, apparently lack of demand to proceed much …They ran a trial and it ended, apparently lack of demand to proceed much further.Sky has FTTP now I think? You may need to call to ask:https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/isp-sky-broadband-leak-shows-uk-pricing-for-new-ultrafast-packages.htmlAnd Vodafone maybe as well:https://www.vodafone.co.uk/web-shop/broadband/deals/gigafast

Thanks a lot, really appreciate those links! I will give Sky a call and ask them about it.
Sky isn't rolling out their FTTP (Sky Ultrafast) yet, maybe at the end off 2019, you can register if your interested on their site.
openreach connectivity isn't reliant on BT, they are just one wholesale ISP offering FTTP through reselling openreach's services.

I've just become enabled via openreach, and not all the FTTP isps show up as available in my area via openreach.com/fib…ers

I'm planning to take up vodafone (900mbp down/900mbp up - £48/mnth vodafone.co.uk/web…ast ) as they used to only resell cityfibres wholesale packages but are now happy to use openreach's connections too. Only problem is their address checker is broken, going through the motions with phone support now...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants