Fibre Optic?

Found 1st Jun
Was looking to finally get fibre, but I'm not too sure who to get it with.

Can anyone provide some honest feedback about who they're with and how much they're paying? Quite difficult to find non-biased reviews on the internet as most people who post reviews of their broadband have problems anyway.

Currently with Sky but their offering seems to be quite expensive (£36pm for 54mb on offer) although I'll try retentions later to see what they can give.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
With VM as the speed I had with sky initially was 2meg
We use Plusnet on an 18-month contract. £29.99 a month for their Fibre Extra. No problems so far after almost a year.
Can you get Virgin in your area?
Original Poster
With Sky, I'm able to maximise the full 17mb but at times it can be quite frustrating when there's multiple of us trying to watch things, and I can get Virgin in my area. They can give me 350mb but that seems to be overkill as well as expensive! Will likely end up choosing the 100mb option but just wanted to get some general thoughts and opinions before I ordered it.
Virgin media
Virgin is generally pretty good and is faster than most other options
Original Poster
I see that Virgin seems to be the one to go for, thanks for the help guys.
I'm with virgin but the router sucks and keeps dropping connection. Been replaced a number of times. I also had better speeds with bt infinity (showed different on speed test results but downloads and loading of web pages were faster)
deleted1597344
BT, currently get 55Mbps. BT hub is diabolical, ditch it and get you own equipment.
Original Poster
ch7leach11 m ago

I'm with virgin but the router sucks and keeps dropping connection. Been …I'm with virgin but the router sucks and keeps dropping connection. Been replaced a number of times. I also had better speeds with bt infinity (showed different on speed test results but downloads and loading of web pages were faster)

Can you not use your own router with Virgin?
I know people put BT down, but ive had BT fibre optic for 3 years and no problems.
not sure about all these new fibre ISPs esp in london, but for all round availability Virgin can't be beat.
AzNDeals11 h, 30 m ago

Can you not use your own router with Virgin?

You can but even doing so the modem still cuts out
Most broadband problems come down to house/local wiring or a faulty router, so the only impact the ISP generally has is the level of customer service in helping you to sort out anything that comes out.

Equally all the big ISPs have gone towards heavy up front discounts so if you want the sort of £25 a month prices you'll have to keep swapping every 12-18 months and your choice of ISPs will be smaller (the big ones also tend to have the worst customer service).
Bt are epic, plus free bt sport if you have fibre.
benrobertsno12 h, 25 m ago

Bt are epic, plus free bt sport if you have fibre.

BT are dreadful, Just last week left them after 5 years of the most terrible internet ever.. it's 35mb with 22 guaranteed yet we are lucky if we get over 5mb...

With virgins now and it's never under 300mbs... it's great as I game the kids each have tabs or the switch and my gf also plays her Xbox or uses it for now tv.

Handles it all flawlessly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants