Groups

Fibre Optic Broadband - need some help

My contract with BT is up and it's rolling at the moment on a monthly basis. I pay £22 a month and I am receiving calls from BT telling me that I could 'save' £2 by signing a 12-month contract for BT Fibre-Optic Broadband at £19.99 per month.

BT claim that I can receive speeds of 20mb per second. But I have seen the offers around for O2 at £9.99 and they say up to 20mb too.

Are O2 being creative with the way they advertise their speeds? Would it be the same speed as BT? I am obviously in an area where I can receive this BT fibre-optic, but would this be soley achieved by BT's service only?

Thanks, I am quite confused

33 Comments

BT would use fibre optic, so you shud get the full 20mbps
    O2 havent got fibre, so you would be getting [up to] 20mb. Chances are 12-3 on the average line i would say unless you live really close.
    Virigin are th only other competitor who will be able to serve you fibre speeds.

wait since when have BT upgraded to fibre optic?

muffin247;8082359

wait since when have BT upgraded to fibre optic?

part of the 21CN upgrade

ballacks i cant get it anyway!

pff what a p.o.s can only get what I have atm, at thats only at about 4meg ffs

BT Infinity is Up to 40MBPS Download and up to 10MBPS Upload

Only BT retail can offer the fibre broadband at the moment, o2, sky, talktalk etc will get it at a later date.

In regards to the speeds,

Are BT saying up to 20MBPS broadband or have they done a test on your line and you are being told thats your download speed?

O2's 20MBPS broadband will be up to, they are using ADSL2 +

BT Infinity is £19.99 a month with a 20GB download allowance and 2MBPS upload, its £24.99 for unlimited and upto 10MBPS upload

numptyj;8082406

pff what a p.o.s can only get what I have atm, at thats only at about … pff what a p.o.s can only get what I have atm, at thats only at about 4meg ffs

August 2011, long wait mate :x

Starr;8082470

August 2011, long wait mate :x

for this area?

gah

Was thinking of getting out of a contract with them, but I dont think I can get any faster unless go to virgin but I dont need to spend that much money

numptyj;8082485

for this area?gah Was thinking of getting out of a contract with them, … for this area?gah Was thinking of getting out of a contract with them, but I dont think I can get any faster unless go to virgin but I dont need to spend that much money

Ye for these ends.

How much you paying and when contract finish?

Original Poster

Thanks you've all helped. I think with BT i'd get the better service. They've been pretty good so far, and it's definitely fibre-optic, she was very clear about that. We got some advertising material through the post looking all fancy too telling us about fibre-optic. Will go with BT I think considering they offered £19.99 per month for unlimited download

Starr;8082532

Ye for these ends.How much you paying and when contract finish?

think its ending in april

and think 22 something on option 3

I assume they will probs call up asking to continue so I will try and get it down or a new homehub or something. I did ask before for new homehub and they said no, so if they tell me no again ill tell them to stuff it lol

numptyj;8082562

think its ending in apriland think 22 something on option 3I assume they … think its ending in apriland think 22 something on option 3I assume they will probs call up asking to continue so I will try and get it down or a new homehub or something. I did ask before for new homehub and they said no, so if they tell me no again ill tell them to stuff it lol

Can be reduced to £15.99 mate, not sure if you can blag a new hub as well as that price though.

Get it down to that price and buy a hub off ebay mate

Starr;8082582

Can be reduced to £15.99 mate, not sure if you can blag a new hub as well … Can be reduced to £15.99 mate, not sure if you can blag a new hub as well as that price though.Get it down to that price and buy a hub off ebay mate

hmmmm

ill give that a try.

BT actually just gave my mum a homehub 2.0 so I might try steal that off her as she doesnt need wireless etc, and see if I can get price down. Are you on option 3 @ 15.99?

numptyj;8082588

hmmmmill give that a try.BT actually just gave my mum a homehub 2.0 so I … hmmmmill give that a try.BT actually just gave my mum a homehub 2.0 so I might try steal that off her as she doesnt need wireless etc, and see if I can get price down. Are you on option 3 @ 15.99?

No im option 3 6 months free :whistling:

You can get it for £15.99 mate, guaranteed, might be able to get it even cheaper if you bundle it with calls and line

Starr;8082597

No im option 3 6 months free :whistling:You can get it for £15.99 mate, … No im option 3 6 months free :whistling:You can get it for £15.99 mate, guaranteed, might be able to get it even cheaper if you bundle it with calls and line

il give it a shot when it comes up for renewal, cheers

numptyj;8082599

il give it a shot when it comes up for renewal, cheers

When call centres phone you they might not be able to, they will try and get it to £19.99. You'll most likely have to contact BT once out of contract and speak to customer options team (retentions)

All you have to do is ask for it :thumbsup:

munaaf;8082365

part of the 21CN upgrade

21CN is ADSL2+ not Fibre

Fibre is FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)

You can check if you are able to receive FTTC here:
    samknows.com/bro…php

I wouldn't put it past BT to sell you a connection telling you it is Fibre when in fact it is merely ADSL2+ - Fibre packages from BT are upto 40MB not upto 20MB, so if that is what the sales person said.. Then it sounds like dodgy marketing to me. Best thing to do is check your exchange and make sure it is FTTC enabled using samknows.

PhearFactor;8082633

21CN is ADSL2+ not FibreFibre is FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)You can check … 21CN is ADSL2+ not FibreFibre is FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)You can check if you are able to receive FTTC here:http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.phpI wouldn't put it past BT to sell you a connection telling you it is Fibre when in fact it is merely ADSL2+

Thats a silly comment really

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8082633

21CN is ADSL2+ not FibreFibre is FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)You can check … 21CN is ADSL2+ not FibreFibre is FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)You can check if you are able to receive FTTC here:http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.phpI wouldn't put it past BT to sell you a connection telling you it is Fibre when in fact it is merely ADSL2+

Thank you for that. Just checked and it says FTTC enabled :thumbsup:

Starr, is it really that easy to get it to £15.99?

spinach_pie;8082652

Thank you for that. Just checked and it says FTTC enabled … Thank you for that. Just checked and it says FTTC enabled :thumbsup:Starr, is it really that easy to get it to £15.99?

Not in your situation im afraid.

That 15.99 is for ADSL BB, they wont stick you on 15.99 and then put you on fibre.

If you want to stay on ADSL broadband you can recontract at £15.99 but i think you'll be mad to not take fibre broadband at £19.99 unlimited, thats a good deal :thumbsup:

I have to agree with Starr, get on Fibre if you can. Not only will it be faster but more than likely you will find it is a lot more stable and just generally better quality. Those copper wires are getting a bit old now heh.

Original Poster

Yeah seems like it, thanks. Need to save as many pennies as poss atm!

PhearFactor;8082680

I have to agree with Starr, get on Fibre if you can. Not only will it be … I have to agree with Starr, get on Fibre if you can. Not only will it be faster but more than likely you will find it is a lot more stable and just generally better quality. Those copper wires are getting a bit old now heh.

A bit old??? :w00t:

Fibre is the way to go for sure, especially as price difference would only be 4 quid.

OP count yourself lucky that you are on one of the first rolled out exchanges, many of us waiting

Starr;8082698

OP count yourself lucky that you are on one of the first rolled out … OP count yourself lucky that you are on one of the first rolled out exchanges, many of us waiting

Aint that the truth!

Here is some information for people wondering when they can get Fibre from BT (if your exchange is not already enabled).

Now up to July 2010 (FTTC Rollout)
    trefor.net/201…ry/

July 2010 to Summer 2011 (FTTC Rollout)
    trefor.net/201…ds/

Unfortunately I am on the second list, but I guess there could be some people not enabled already who are not on either of them, so.. I guess I should be happy :whistling:

Second list for me too, at least its coming

10 million homes by 2012

Starr;8082750

Second list for me too, at least its coming :)10 million homes by 2012

I just hope BT really push on the marketing for this, I could be wrong (probably am) but I am assuming the more people that sign up to this the faster they will move with the roll-out. I know I for one would benefit from Fibre, there hasn't be any sort of Virgin on my estate in a long time... :w00t:

So yeah, I have no real alternative and ADSL2+ only gives me 4-5MB which isn't even enough most of the time to stream HD media from iPlayer :-(

PhearFactor;8082761

I just hope BT really push on the marketing for this, I could be wrong … I just hope BT really push on the marketing for this, I could be wrong (probably am) but I am assuming the more people that sign up to this the faster they will move with the roll-out. I know I for one would benefit from Fibre, there hasn't be any sort of Virgin on my estate in a long time... :w00t:So yeah, I have no real alternative and ADSL2+ only gives me 4-5MB which isn't even enough most of the time to stream HD media from iPlayer :-(

Could be the case, lets be honest everyone wants faster speed.

ADSL2+ speed aint great for you, have you tried BB accelerator? Doesn't work for all though

productsandservices.bt.com/con…tor

Starr;8082768

ADSL2+ speed aint great for you, have you tried BB accelerator? Doesn't … ADSL2+ speed aint great for you, have you tried BB accelerator? Doesn't work for all though

I have one of those BB faceplates etc and custom wiring lol. I did boost my speed by a couple of meg, but I am so far from the exchange there isn't much else that can be done.

PhearFactor;8082773

I have one of those BB faceplates etc and custom wiring lol. I did boost … I have one of those BB faceplates etc and custom wiring lol. I did boost my speed by a couple of meg, but I am so far from the exchange there isn't much else that can be done.

Hold on mate, only another year or so for fibre, then fibre to the premises within years

Starr;8082780

Hold on mate, only another year or so for fibre, then fibre to the … Hold on mate, only another year or so for fibre, then fibre to the premises within years

I cannot wait to be honest, I can remember being on my 56k modem and waiting for ADSL. That was a lot worse than this, back then I could barely do anything, took like an hour to check my email lol

Starr I think Fibre to the premises is a long way off. The cost of ftth far exceeds that of fttc. Fibre products are engineer install aswell.
    PhearFactor: what is your synch rate? What is your line attenuation

Paddy_o_furniture;8083122

Starr I think Fibre to the premises is a long way off. The cost of ftth … Starr I think Fibre to the premises is a long way off. The cost of ftth far exceeds that of fttc. Fibre products are engineer install aswell.PhearFactor: what is your synch rate? What is your line attenuation

I've not heard much about cost tbh, just from people ive spoken to they want it to happen in good time.

Whens your area due for FTTC anyways?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz12
      2. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism812
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846227
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6561254

See more discussions