Groups

FIFA Ban on Hijab leads to Iranian forfeit

Banned
    ''The Iranian women's soccer team was in tears after being forced to forfeit a 2012 London Olympics qualifying match this past weekend because it showed up to play in hijabs. FIFA banned the Islamic head scarf in 2007, saying that it could cause choking injuries -- the same reason it gave for recently banning snoods (neck warmers). FIFA also has strict rules against any religious statements in team uniforms.''

34 Comments

Original Poster Banned

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/2c/2c8c5bf34c1fab69fd0337443e8cb2f5/iran_womens_soccer_team_forfeits_qualifier_over_head_scarves.jpg

''On Sunday, moments before Iran's women's team was due to take to the pitch and play in an Olympic qualifier against Jordan, the team was disqualified for wearing their traditional full-body tracksuits and hijabs. Jordan was granted a 3-0-forfeit victory, crushing the lauded Iranian team's chances to go to the 2012 London Games.

As the Iranian players and officials tearfully objected, they were told that they had violated FIFA rules stating that: "Players and officials shall not display political, religious, commercial or personal messages or slogans in any language or form on their playing or team kits." The team was also informed that since 2007 FIFA has
    held the view that wearing a hijab while playing "could cause choking injuries".

There are two problems with this argument. The first is that it's asinine. "Hijab soccer choking deaths," doesn't exactly send the Google search engine a-humming. But far more problematic is that the team had already received assurances from FIFA that the uniforms were in compliance. They had even played preliminary rounds without a blip from Blatter.

Iranian women's soccer director Farideh Shojaei told Reuters TV in an interview, "We made the required corrections and played a match afterwards. We played the next round and were not prevented from doing
    so, and they didn't find anything wrong. That meant that there are no obstacles in our path, and that we could participate in the Olympics...This [uniform] is neither religious, nor political, nor will it lead to harm a player...and Mr Sepp Blatter accepted this."

So what is really going on here? First of all, we should dismiss any of FIFA's concerns about the welfare of the women involved. Blatter is an unreconstructed sexist and without resistance, women's soccer would look something like the Lingerie Football League. The man who bans the hijab proposed in 2004 that women players wear "hot pants" on the pitch to boost the sport's popularity. He said that the "tighter shorts" would produce "a more female aesthetic".

In addition, for years, human rights organisations have asked Blatter to take a stand and say something about the horrific influx of sex-slave trafficking that accompanies the arrival of the World Cup. Blatter's cold response, "Prostitution and trafficking of women does not fall within the sphere of responsibility of an international sports federation but in that of the authorities and the lawmakers of any given country." In other words, he's not exactly Susan Faludi.''

sports.yahoo.com/oly…280

english.aljazeera.net/ind…tml

why didn't they just use the FIFA approved headscarf used by the Iranian football team at the Youth Olympics?

http://i.imgur.com/6bF1O.jpg

who cares

Banned

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but that is absurd. It just looks ridiculous and I really think it needs to be stopped.

Women playing football??!! oO

Madness.

Banned

DangerGod

why didn't they just use the FIFA approved headscarf used by the Iranian … why didn't they just use the FIFA approved headscarf used by the Iranian football team at the Youth Olympics?]

Inb4 "but it's their human right to choke if they want to".......

That said, it would be a scream to watch 2 teams playing with burkha's. I'd pay to see that.

Edited by: "guv" 10th Jun 2011

Pauladin91

who cares

Many people, if im not interested in something i dont read it let alone post about it

Original Poster Banned

Pauladin91

who cares

not me desperately, do not follow womens football (inb4 sexist)

just thinks football doesn't need people dragging their religion into it. Play if you want, just do it by the rule book.

lol, class.

Crying as well - looks like a Premier League fixture.....

Good call

crying!?! thought most female footballers were lesbians... the rough looking ones that play the male role in the relationship.

man up

Seems odd that it has only just become an issue now, since I guess that they have played a match or two since 2007.

Reminds me of India being disqualified for the 1950 world cup finals in brazil for playing barefoot.

Fascinating.

Bully

Reminds me of India being disqualified for the 1950 world cup finals in … Reminds me of India being disqualified for the 1950 world cup finals in brazil for playing barefoot.Fascinating.

Your post reminds me of a book I read at school about a barefoot player that played football, and his "Special Move" was a banana kick.

thesaint

Your post reminds me of a book I read at school about a barefoot player … Your post reminds me of a book I read at school about a barefoot player that played football, and his "Special Move" was a banana kick.

your post reminds me of post that was posted on a poster

[quote=DangerGod]http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/2c/2c8c5bf34c1fab69fd0337443e8cb2f5/iran_womens_soccer_team_forfeits_qualifier_over_head_scarves.jpg

is it me or do they look liek they should be holding a couple of ninja stars
    http://www.kingofswords.com/images/dist_130_130/12SetNinjaThrowingStars.jpg

Where can you get tickets for the Lingerie Football League? (_;)

good call FIFA

Inb4 Sepp Blatter is a racist thread

stewby

nope...thats reserved for alan sugar

Footballs stupid and **** anyway so what you expect? Think about it, its based on chasing and kicking a pigs bladder about a field. Replace the ball with a live pig and I might show some interest.

Shengis

Footballs stupid and **** anyway so what you expect? Think about it, its … Footballs stupid and **** anyway so what you expect? Think about it, its based on chasing and kicking a pigs bladder about a field. Replace the ball with a live pig and I might show some interest.

zzzz

cannyscot

Where can you get tickets for the Lingerie Football League? (_;)

I would link you, but I fear a ban would come my way... Metacafe had a weird video I remember from when I was young...

tomwatts

I would link you, but I fear a ban would come my way... Metacafe had a … I would link you, but I fear a ban would come my way... Metacafe had a weird video I remember from when I was young...

you dirty git!!!!!

try and find the link X)

dtovey89

zzzz

You captured my feelings perfectly there

Banned

inb 4 tears.... oh wait

DangerGod

the team had already received assurances from FIFA that the uniforms were … the team had already received assurances from FIFA that the uniforms were in compliance

Makes it even better.

"Yeah, don't worry, they're fine"

"Ha ha! We were only joking! Consider yourselves out"

Class.

stewby

Just a fascist and corrupt (_;)
    Edited by: "Punjab" 10th Jun 2011

deek72

Makes it even better. "Yeah, don't worry, they're fine""Ha ha! We were … Makes it even better. "Yeah, don't worry, they're fine""Ha ha! We were only joking! Consider yourselves out" Class.

It's FIFA we're talking about http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2008/07/11/blatter460276.jpg

what happened to filth&fury, y the suspension. i'm missing the guy!

Banned

r4ge

what happened to filth&fury, y the suspension. i'm missing the guy!

so iam i ,hes so witty and imformative!

Shengis

You captured my feelings perfectly there

Cool story bro.

"it could cause choking injuries"

It’s a physical sport players have had broken legs, arms and concussions. If they want to wear the hijab let them. Hate it when sports get dragged into this rubbish just play the bloody game.

Punjab

Just a fascist and corrupt (_;)

Corrupt,yes. Facist? Proof please.

Inb4 photo of blatter dressed as Mussolini.

stewby

Corrupt,yes. Facist? Proof please.Inb4 photo of blatter dressed as … Corrupt,yes. Facist? Proof please.Inb4 photo of blatter dressed as Mussolini.

He hates Ze English!

It was said in part-jest as I'd hoped the icon showed.

Punjab

He hates Ze English!It was said in part-jest as I'd hoped the icon showed.

The icon reminded me o blatters miserable face. To be fair to him, there aren't many non-English people who don't hate the English. He will always be the man who gave the world cup to a nation who have very little interest in football, have a climate that is not conducive to playing football and has no real status in world football. But they do have lots of money. Hhhmmm, Sepp, what did make you put Qatar in the mix? Lots of hiijabs in Qatar though... Complicated.

Edited by: "stewby" 10th Jun 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044547
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047153
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866383
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7201355

See more discussions