File sharing on network

Posted 11th Jan
Hi I have one laptop and a computer both running windows and on the same home network. They also have the same Microsoft account logged in.

How can I make it so they are connected? For example I save something to documents on one computer and can pick up from where I left off on my laptop.

Both computer are wirelessly connected to our network.

Any help much appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Ultra-simplistically not considering any agressive obstructive privacy settings: share the location of the items to be shared, typically in W10 via selecting a folder location and rightclicking properties then accessing "Sharing".
AndyRoyd11/01/2020 23:16

Ultra-simplistically not considering any agressive obstructive privacy …Ultra-simplistically not considering any agressive obstructive privacy settings: share the location of the items to be shared, typically in W10 via selecting a folder location and rightclicking properties then accessing "Sharing".

Thanks. Is their a way I can make it share everything automatically? They are both my computers.
TheBargainHunter.11/01/2020 23:17

Thanks. Is their a way I can make it share everything automatically? They …Thanks. Is their a way I can make it share everything automatically? They are both my computers.

You can share your whole drive if needed. Same method as above on the drive.
anselmofa11/01/2020 23:31

You can share your whole drive if needed. Same method as above on the …You can share your whole drive if needed. Same method as above on the drive.

What is the whole drive? Sorry I’m not very techie. Will this allow me to save to my documents. And be able to access my files, pictures etc from any computer on my network.
My setup is a laptop and one computer. Both running latest windows. Both connected to same network. Four user account on both the laptop and computer. I was hoping I could get the files from every user account to mirror to the user account on the other computer.
Dropbox. You can have 3 devices linked.
Install Dropbox free on all devices.
You will have a Dropbox folder so just put what you want to access across devices in the Dropbox folder and its appears on all devices.
Only 2 gig storage with the free account but that's enough for 1000s of documents.
I use on phone, tablet and pc. Great when I'm at work and want to look at letters. Dropbox is cloud based so backed up.

You might need to pay for what you want to do though as more than 3 users
Edited by: "wayners" 12th Jan
This is why God invented Microsoft onedrive. Trouble doing the above folder share is as soon as you're not on the home network your computers won't be able to access each other. Plus if you connected to another network, and for some reason it was configured as private and you had allowed anonymous/guest access to your file share then everyone can see it

You get 5gb for free, can connect with your phone and although the desktop functionality is pretty similar, the app for onedrive is much better imo
MrKrabs12/01/2020 09:47

This is why God invented Microsoft onedrive. Trouble doing the above …This is why God invented Microsoft onedrive. Trouble doing the above folder share is as soon as you're not on the home network your computers won't be able to access each other. Plus if you connected to another network, and for some reason it was configured as private and you had allowed anonymous/guest access to your file share then everyone can see itYou get 5gb for free, can connect with your phone and although the desktop functionality is pretty similar, the app for onedrive is much better imo

Yeah I did consider that but 5GB is not enough so I think I need to create a network storage drive.
TheBargainHunter.12/01/2020 12:43

Yeah I did consider that but 5GB is not enough so I think I need to create …Yeah I did consider that but 5GB is not enough so I think I need to create a network storage drive.

What do you do for backups?
MrKrabs12/01/2020 14:48

What do you do for backups?

USB stick for pictures.
To what device (router) are your laptop and computer connected to? It may happen that you already have file sharing capabilities.
Another easy way will be to enable Remote Control on those machines, then you can both work and transfer files (either sharing a drive, or drag and drop file/folders, clipboard).
Furthermore, you could work on the laptop as if you were on the PC and vice-versa.

39658740-vRBGL.jpg
39658740-OCxZo.jpg
39658740-J2Iw2.jpg

Once you set the Remote-Connection as you wanted, then you can save-as that profile and you can use it in the future.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 12th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions