Filling gaps in floorboards

7 replies
Found 20th Nov 2016
Is it possible to use window/door draught excluder (on a roll) to fill any big gaps in wooden floorboards, before laying underlay and a carpet? If so, would it be a fire hazard (I have gas central heating in my house and this draught excluder would be for a small, upstairs bedroom?) Thank you.

7 Comments

Banned

Put a layer of plyboard down before you put your underlay & carpet down.

Job done
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 20th Nov 2016

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

Put a layer of plyboard down before you put your underlay & carpet … Put a layer of plyboard down before you put your underlay & carpet down.Job done

Some of the floorboards were replaced and are not entirely flush/level with the others (a millimeter or two) - would this matter? Thank you.

AFAIK most gaps in wooden floorboards are there for a purpose - to allow expansion (swelling) of the timber in hot or damp conditions
You'd be better off getting the correct thickness of underlay and maybe mask (masking tape or similar) over the gaps rather than attempting to fill the gaps

Original Poster

philphil61

AFAIK most gaps in wooden floorboards are there for a purpose - to allow … AFAIK most gaps in wooden floorboards are there for a purpose - to allow expansion (swelling) of the timber in hot or damp conditionsYou'd be better off getting the correct thickness of underlay and maybe mask (masking tape or similar) over the gaps rather than attempting to fill the gaps

I think that the underlay is about 7 mm thick (I was given it). So, if I use this, the masking tape would not interfere with any possible expansion of the floorboards? Thank you.

If you are worried about uneven boards then as YOUDONT said put a ply/fiber board down first. This is what a carpet layer would do if laying cushion floor over uneven boards so shouldn't cause a problem. With a good quality underlay and carpet you would not notice slight differences any way. No point in using masking tape as that will not make the slightest difference.
Edited by: "Argoj" 20th Nov 2016

Cover the floor with brown paper and tape the joins with masking tape. Also tape the underlay joins with tape (it's like gaffer tape). That will eliminate the drafts. Carpet suppliers sell the brown paper ands its thicker than packing paper.

My sister recommended this stuff to me:
stopgaps.com
They have used it in their house (no carpets, just floorboards) & think it works well. Told me it's easy to fit too but I haven't got round to sorting my flooring yet so can't recommend it myself. I will be using it (eventually!)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57578
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!44
    3. Free money and competition entry @ Circle813
    4. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22

See more discussions