Groups
    EXPIRED

films to introduce Sixth Formers to....

So those who have chatted with me know I am a recent convert to teaching. As we reach the end of term I try and show a couple of films of which I think the students should be aware.
    This has included:
    Ferris, Wierd Science, Premium Rush, Inception, Some like it hot.
    I am looking for ideas, it can only be a 15 rated or lower...cheers

53 Comments

Saturday night, sunday morning.

Original Poster

doobidoo

Saturday night, sunday morning.

Ta very muchly, great cast...

Not sure of ratings

2001 a space odyssey

Citizen Kane

The king of comedy

The breakfast club

Brazil

Platoon

Full metal jacket

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

The Pianist.
    The African Queen
    Zulu
    Cathy Come Home
    To Sir With Love
    Educating Rita
    Brassed Off

Original Poster

Thanks both. Platoon and Full Metal Jacket will definitely suit my Physics boys...

Original Poster

booky

The Pianist.The African QueenZuluCathy Come HomeTo Sir With LoveEducating … The Pianist.The African QueenZuluCathy Come HomeTo Sir With LoveEducating RitaBrassed Off

Only if I don't have to watch Zulu myself, it was always shown on the ferries to the Channel islands when I was a kid...still a classic.

I know you said films but this is an exception that children need to watch. The World At War, ground breaking, realistic, and honest documentary about World War II. Teaches children the atrocities and gravity of war without being biased as it comes from the upper echelons of people who shared power down to the common soldier. If it has to be a film, Gallipoli, Schindler's List, The Killing Fields (1984), even Apocalypse Now are good choices to emphasize the realism of war.

Concerning ground breaking or highly critical acclaimed films have a look at the IMDB list of 250 films. Ignore the popular films which dominate the database (not saying they are quality films), and instead carefully examine the list for classic films that stood the time such as Citizen Kane, 1984, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Gone with the Wind, etc. Sadly nowadays children and adults fail to recognise their importance of classical films in pushing the boundaries of film making through the use of technology, well written script, superb acting, or directing.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 15th Jul 2014

2 Robin Williams classics

Good Will Hunting
    Dead Poets Society

Original Poster

nemesiz

I know you said films but this is an exception that children need to … I know you said films but this is an exception that children need to watch. The World At War, ground breaking, realistic, and honest documentary about World War II. Teaches children the atrocities and gravity of war without being biased as it comes from the upper echelons of people who shared power down to the common soldier.

This is the kind of thing I can do as a tutor, a very important, often over looked role I take very seriously indeed. My out going students have been kind enough to recognise that they have had as great an opportunity to learn with me in these 15 minutes a day as anywhere else in college. Thank you.

Original Poster

BeerDrinker

2 Robin Williams classicsGood Will HuntingDead Poets Society

I'll need to stock up on tissues for the latter...oh captain my captain...I am lucky enough to have had that kind of loyalty shown by a couple of my sixth formers, lump in the throat stuff, I can tell you...

True Romance
    Office Space
    Singin In The Rain
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Inside Llewelyn Davis

Goodbye Mr Chips (the 2008? version) starring Martin Clunes.

Fantastic film, if they don't appreciate it, give them the cane.

One flew over the cuckoos nest if it is rated low enough...
    The Color purple.
    Edited by: "mosskeeto" 15th Jul 2014

The Fisher King

Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges.

Capricorn one. Old but good.

Some great films posted here and just wanted to add:

Good Morning Vietnam
    Catfish
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Seven Pounds
    Internet Dating and Me
    Perfect Sense
    Trust

Edited by: "Likely2" 15th Jul 2014

Original Poster

DragonChris

Goodbye Mr Chips (the 2008? version) starring Martin Clunes.Fantastic … Goodbye Mr Chips (the 2008? version) starring Martin Clunes.Fantastic film, if they don't appreciate it, give them the cane.

I prefer to withhold the edible rewards.

Clerks for me. Kevin Smith - love him or loathe him, to see what he done with a $30,000 budget and make a film off his own back is quite impressive. However, some of the cultural references may now well be out of date for your audience.

Original Poster

Likely2

Some great films posted here and just wanted to add:Good Morning … Some great films posted here and just wanted to add:Good Morning VietnamCatfishBig Trouble in Little ChinaSeven PoundsInternet Dating and MePerfect SenseTrustThanks, some I haven't seen on this list. Will have to play catch up.

Henvig

Thanks both. Platoon and Full Metal Jacket will definitely suit my … Thanks both. Platoon and Full Metal Jacket will definitely suit my Physics boys...

I doubt they would all be old enough to watch them would they?

Original Poster

They are 18.

Henvig

They are 18.

That's all right then. Although if you are going down the war film route you have to add in Apocalypse Now?

anchorman

The Truman Show

Original Poster

This is why I posted the question. I have forgotten about some of these including the Truman Show.

1. Evil dead, simply to see what can be done with no realistic budget and a lot of creativity, supposedly made with the remaining funds on Sam Raimi's credit card.
    2. The Blair witch project likewise ^
    3. Jarhead, the futility of war in modern context
    4. Chronicles of Riddick, so many morals in a visually stunning feast of cgi, modern story telling at its best.
    5. 12 Years a slave, a history lesson not to be forgotten.
    6. The Promise, an alternative view to a well told story.

Jackass presents Bad Grandpa (Will defiantly make a few laugh haha)

Seven Pounds ( Honestly a truly emotional film which makes you think of life as a whole)

Terminator 1/2 (Classics)

Saving Private Ryan ( Can't believe no one mentioned this film)

All rated 15/12

Also I thought all schools finished for summer now? Schools around here finished last week!!

Annie Hall.

It's so beautifully presented and it really appeals to teenagers who can relate to the characters' hopeless romantic prowess. It'll get both laughs and tears.

Life Is Beautiful - a great film, and they'll have to pay attention to keep up with the subtitles!

pursuit of happyness

Original Poster

TheBoss96

Also I thought all schools finished for summer now? Schools around here … Also I thought all schools finished for summer now? Schools around here finished last week!!

Wednesday 23rd July

Two words for you...... Stand By Me.

Original Poster

UnicornRiver

I haven't seen this, so if this is a deliberate joke, I haven't understood, sorry, will add to the not inconsiderable list.

Henvig

I haven't seen this, so if this is a deliberate joke, I haven't … I haven't seen this, so if this is a deliberate joke, I haven't understood, sorry, will add to the not inconsiderable list.

It's a great film, and has no relation to my bad joke... Amazing cast and amazing film

Yeah Stand by me is a classic!

The Bucket list - imdb.com/tit…32/ - Some great life lessons to be learnt from that one but still funny and a great watch.

Edited by: "Astec123" 15th Jul 2014

Nausicaa

UnicornRiver

That's three words
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung Galaxy S8 Deal £452 at Sky Mobile - Would it work ?11
      2. Best IPTV Currently22
      3. best place for fishing tackle?22