Expired

Films wont play on new Toshiba tv via USB stick

Found 10th Feb 2013
Hi please can one of the tech members help.

I've bought a new TV today for the bedroom (its a Toshiba 22BL702B)

It says on both the box and the instructions that it will play films via USB - but i just cant get the films to work when i put USB stick in, i keep getting the message "invalid file".
My friend has been to try and help but says it may be the TV that cant read various formats ........he has told me i need to buy a TV that supports "USB 2", as these will play any file.

Ive tried the same USB stick with the films on and put it into my Sony downstairs and the films come up straight away and just play.

Have i bought the wrong TV or is there something else i should try???.......in its simplest form i just wanted a TV that you could put a USB stick in and it would read the film straight away to watch. If this TV will not do it im going to take it back.

Thank You
Community Updates
13 Comments
it may be the TV that cant read various formats - is correct,

he has told me i need to buy a TV that supports "USB 2", as these will play any file. - is incorrect.

It's the type/format of video file that is the problem.
The specification part of your manual should tell you which types are supported.
Edited by: "Talis" 10th Feb 2013
Are your films mp4?
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu184/stobbsy79/usb_zps3fa5ac67.jpg
Original Poster
Im not quite sure what format the films are that i have, is there a way to check??.....ive had a look on the properties part and it says "avi files" for quite a few of them.

To be honest the films are downloaded from torrent sites - so do i need to look for specific format files when downloading if i want to watch them on this tv, or should i consider an alternative 22 inch tv that has a greater compatability to play a greater range of formats???

Edited by: "nick1981" 10th Feb 2013
Try this handbrake.fr/
To date the best TV I have found for playing from USB and multiple formats is Samsung. Nice easy to use media player interface and it plays from a portable hard disk with no problems.
Get a WDTV Live Player...
Original Poster
If I bought a cheap media player unit of eBay and connected it via a hdmi cable would that work??
What extension do the files have?

Have you tried lots of different ones? I've got two tvs with USB ports, one plays everything I can throw at it (AOC) the other doesn't play mkv files (sony).

Yes if you purchase a media player that will do the job, but seems a pain when you have a TV which should do the job.

Try downloading the test files for mpg and avi from this site:

http://dougneubauer.com/mhcctest/

And then see if they work on your new TV.
Original Poster

Hi mate thanks for your advice - ive just found an old "emtec media player" in my computer drawers, plugged it into the new tv and hey presto the films are working!
Just one more question please - whilst these films are now working and im happy, will the media player play ALL downloaded films or are they like tvs and cannot read some formats???... so far the media player i have plugged in has read everything.

nbuuifx

What extension do the files have?Have you tried lots of different ones? … What extension do the files have?Have you tried lots of different ones? I've got two tvs with USB ports, one plays everything I can throw at it (AOC) the other doesn't play mkv files (sony).Yes if you purchase a media player that will do the job, but seems a pain when you have a TV which should do the job.Try downloading the test files for mpg and avi from this site:http://dougneubauer.com/mhcctest/And then see if they work on your new TV.

nick1981

Hi mate thanks for your advice - ive just found an old "emtec media … Hi mate thanks for your advice - ive just found an old "emtec media player" in my computer drawers, plugged it into the new tv and hey presto the films are working!Just one more question please - whilst these films are now working and im happy, will the media player play ALL downloaded films or are they like tvs and cannot read some formats???... so far the media player i have plugged in has read everything.

It can be a bit hit and miss, it all depends on what codecs are installed on the media player and what codec was used to encode the video.

The best scenario possible is a media player from a decent company who update the firmware on a regular basis. Most media players have a wide enough coverage though to ensure you can play the majority of videos.
is your usb drive formatted to be FAT32?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants