Final rent moving out question

Found 9th Oct 2017
Hi guys IM OUT OF CONTRACT

Having problems working something out. I pay £525 and moved in on 10th sept 2016. Paid a full months rent then. If I put in my 30 days notice 17 .10.17 how much would I have to pay leaving? My sums are to follow 525 a month then add the remaining 7 days? Also if I decide to just pay up to the tenth and move out even tho I've moved out on the tenth am I required to pay up to 17th if I move out on the tenth making it just 525 I pay

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
27 Comments

As a tenant it generally states you only need to give a months notice once out of you minimum 6/12 months term. So if my tenant moved out mid term I would multiply the monthly amount by 12 and then devide by 365, then multiply that by the extra days in your case 7. Normally you would get say up to midday or there abouts to move out so yes just pay for the extra 7 days.

Original Poster

hubcms3 m ago

As a tenant it generally states you only need to give a months notice once …As a tenant it generally states you only need to give a months notice once out of you minimum 6/12 months term. So if my tenant moved out mid term I would multiply the monthly amount by 12 and then devide by 365, then multiply that by the extra days in your case 7. Normally you would get say up to midday or there abouts to move out so yes just pay for the extra 7 days.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was until the day i move out or pay the 30 days notice

I got stung with this, depending on your landlord you can end up owing a months rent. I had an estate agent who were managing the property say I handed my months notice a day after my payment date.
Basically the notice had to go in on the notice date or before otherwise I owed for another month. Check your agreement.

Original Poster

peterkay1132 m ago

I got stung with this, depending on your landlord you can end up owing a …I got stung with this, depending on your landlord you can end up owing a months rent. I had an estate agent who were managing the property say I handed my months notice a day after my payment date. Basically the notice had to go in on the notice date or before otherwise I owed for another month. Check your agreement.

​cheers. so if our rent day is on 10th but we put our notice in on 17th of this month come 17th of November would it be 525 on 10th of November plus an additional 7 days? or just 525?

machomansavage5 m ago

​cheers. so if our rent day is on 10th but we put our notice in on 17th of …​cheers. so if our rent day is on 10th but we put our notice in on 17th of this month come 17th of November would it be 525 on 10th of November plus an additional 7 days? or just 525?

Depending on your landlord, from my experience you have to put your notice on rent day. I would explain the situation and see if you can stay the additional 7 days.

Original Poster

peterkay1129 m ago

Depending on your landlord, from my experience you have to put your notice …Depending on your landlord, from my experience you have to put your notice on rent day. I would explain the situation and see if you can stay the additional 7 days.

Thanks but 30 days from 17th October would be 26/27th November anr our rent is due on 10th of each month. So surely wouldn't i have to pay normal 525 rent on 10th of November and the additional 7 days? Or would it be last rent of just 525? So confused

Sorry if my statement is incorrect in your situation, however this is how it works with my tenants. Generally I always try to work with the tenants on things like this anyway as in my experience if you work with good tenants it pays all round. Best of luck.

You would normally give your 30 day notice on or before your payment date, thus giving a full 30 days notice, if you chose to move out before the expirey date then dont expect the Landlord to give you credit back on the days that youve moved out on early, but as said depends on your Landlord.

zirk34 m ago

You would normally give your 30 day notice on or before your payment date, …You would normally give your 30 day notice on or before your payment date, thus giving a full 30 days notice, if you chose to move out before the expirey date then dont expect the Landlord to give you credit back on the days that youve moved out on early, but as said depends on your Landlord.

Yes and don't expect your bond back either. Greedy system that makes the generation of people who could afford houses for pocket change get even richer. Why not give them free bus passes and huge pensions as well!

Notice is a month, but irrespective of when you give notice, it kicks in at the next rent payment date, that is the date your contract starts. As you are out of contract, which i assume to mean you are on a periodic contract, there is no such thing as daily rates to worry about. I am a landlord by the way.

Original Poster

peterkay1133 m ago

Yes and don't expect your bond back either. Greedy system that makes the …Yes and don't expect your bond back either. Greedy system that makes the generation of people who could afford houses for pocket change get even richer. Why not give them free bus passes and huge pensions as well!

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that, if that's the case then if you went over by a week then you would only pay for a week's rent because i paid an advance payment when we moved in?

Original Poster

mutley131 m ago

Notice is a month, but irrespective of when you give notice, it kicks in …Notice is a month, but irrespective of when you give notice, it kicks in at the next rent payment date, that is the date your contract starts. As you are out of contract, which i assume to mean you are on a periodic contract, there is no such thing as daily rates to worry about. I am a landlord by the way.

thanks mutley. When we move out because we paid one month's rent in advance then there will be no rent payment in the final month as there was a rent payment before the first month.

machomansavage53 m ago

thanks mutley. When we move out because we paid one month's rent in …thanks mutley. When we move out because we paid one month's rent in advance then there will be no rent payment in the final month as there was a rent payment before the first month.

If your contract started 10 september, then your notice will not kick in until 10 november as you missed the 10 october rent date for your notice. So you have to stay until 10 december. You will therefore need to pay another month of rent on 10 november. This is how contract law works for tenancy. Your landlord may be lenient and let your notice kick in immediately from your notice date, but this is entirely his discretion

Original Poster

mutley139 m ago

If your contract started 10 september, then your notice will not kick in …If your contract started 10 september, then your notice will not kick in until 10 november as you missed the 10 october rent date for your notice. So you have to stay until 10 december. You will therefore need to pay another month of rent on 10 november. This is how contract law works for tenancy. Your landlord may be lenient and let your notice kick in immediately from your notice date, but this is entirely his discretion

No we paid every month after 10th of August too. But like I said when we moved in we paid a month bond,month rent in advanced. So technically the month we decide to move out (as long as its before or on the 10th) we will have nothing to pay as this was already paid at start of contract correct? However if we say move out on 17th we will owe another 7 days so it would work out as only the 7 days we would pay for so rent which is 525 x 12 devide by 365 which = £17.26 then add that by 7 days being £120.82 is This correct procedure? Or ifs there a flaw in the system so its always set up to benefit the landlord?
Edited by: "machomansavage" 9th Oct 2017

machomansavage32 m ago

No we paid every month after 10th of August too. But like I said when we …No we paid every month after 10th of August too. But like I said when we moved in we paid a month bond,month rent in advanced. So technically the month we decide to move out (as long as its before or on the 10th) we will have nothing to pay as this was already paid at start of contract correct? However if we say move out on 17th we will owe another 7 days so it would work out as only the 7 days we would pay for so rent which is 525 x 12 devide by 365 which = £17.26 then add that by 7 days being £120.82 is This correct procedure? Or ifs there a flaw in the system so its always set up to benefit the landlord?

Your contract date is 10 of every month. You can only move out on the 10th of the month, not any other day, under periodic contract law. If you give notice on 17.10.2017 then your notice is ignored until the next contract date, which is 10.11.2017, to leave on 10.12.2017.

Notice date is rigid under contract law. You have to pay rent in advance, so your rent paid 10.10.2017, this month, only covers you to your notice date, so you have to pay another month. You should give notice on 10.10.2017, why wait until 17.10.2017

Original Poster

mutley12 h, 32 m ago

Your contract date is 10 of every month. You can only move out on the …Your contract date is 10 of every month. You can only move out on the 10th of the month, not any other day, under periodic contract law. If you give notice on 17.10.2017 then your notice is ignored until the next contract date, which is 10.11.2017, to leave on 10.12.2017.Notice date is rigid under contract law. You have to pay rent in advance, so your rent paid 10.10.2017, this month, only covers you to your notice date, so you have to pay another month. You should give notice on 10.10.2017, why wait until 17.10.2017

using that as a rhetorical question example so it would work out you would only owe 7 days. Surely not all tenets move in and out moved in.and out same date
. I mean you get forion people coming to the UK all the time for UNI etc and normally don't pay the last month rent as they assume the landlords not gonna give bond back anyway. Ease at mind for them as they;'re in a different country by then so nothing landlord could ever do about it anyway even if he or she wanted too lol.

Thanks for your input Mutley but the more and more i Google this people seem to be saying same thing. If you pay first month rent when you moved in, you don't owe anything when you move out as you paid this too them when you. Any problems and take them to a small claims court

machomansavage8 h, 39 m ago

using that as a rhetorical question example so it would work out you would …using that as a rhetorical question example so it would work out you would only owe 7 days. Surely not all tenets move in and out moved in.and out same date. I mean you get forion people coming to the UK all the time for UNI etc and normally don't pay the last month rent as they assume the landlords not gonna give bond back anyway. Ease at mind for them as they;'re in a different country by then so nothing landlord could ever do about it anyway even if he or she wanted too lol. Thanks for your input Mutley but the more and more i Google this people seem to be saying same thing. If you pay first month rent when you moved in, you don't owe anything when you move out as you paid this too them when you. Any problems and take them to a small claims court

your contract ties you to the property and stops you moving out on any date, except a contract date. you can move out on a different date as you are proposing to do, but you still owe rent until your lawful move out date. this is housing contract law in the UK.

some landlords will agree to let you move out on a different date to the lawful date, but you will need to discuss this with your landlord and agree this with him.

you can not use your bond/deposit to pay the last month of rent as it is a damage deposit and not rent paid in advance. the landlord can deduct money from your deposit to pay for owed rent, but this is not normal procedure and the landlord will not want to be doing this, so often the relationship will break down if this happens.

you can not assume that your full deposit will be returned until you have moved out and the landlord has done an inventory check.

you need to really speak to your landlord and agree a move out date with him. i have explained to you what the law is.

Original Poster

mutley133 m ago

your contract ties you to the property and stops you moving out on any …your contract ties you to the property and stops you moving out on any date, except a contract date. you can move out on a different date as you are proposing to do, but you still owe rent until your lawful move out date. this is housing contract law in the UK.some landlords will agree to let you move out on a different date to the lawful date, but you will need to discuss this with your landlord and agree this with him.you can not use your bond/deposit to pay the last month of rent as it is a damage deposit and not rent paid in advance. the landlord can deduct money from your deposit to pay for owed rent, but this is not normal procedure and the landlord will not want to be doing this, so often the relationship will break down if this happens.you can not assume that your full deposit will be returned until you have moved out and the landlord has done an inventory check.you need to really speak to your landlord and agree a move out date with him. i have explained to you what the law is.

Yeah spoke to shelter earlier and they confirmed the month I leave I pay nothing providing it's before the 10th, as when I moved in I paid a month in advance thanks for all your help guys

mutley17 h, 10 m ago

your contract ties you to the property and stops you moving out on any …your contract ties you to the property and stops you moving out on any date, except a contract date. you can move out on a different date as you are proposing to do, but you still owe rent until your lawful move out date. this is housing contract law in the UK.some landlords will agree to let you move out on a different date to the lawful date, but you will need to discuss this with your landlord and agree this with him.you can not use your bond/deposit to pay the last month of rent as it is a damage deposit and not rent paid in advance. the landlord can deduct money from your deposit to pay for owed rent, but this is not normal procedure and the landlord will not want to be doing this, so often the relationship will break down if this happens.you can not assume that your full deposit will be returned until you have moved out and the landlord has done an inventory check.you need to really speak to your landlord and agree a move out date with him. i have explained to you what the law is.

Spoken like a true landlord!!

peterkay114 h, 20 m ago

Spoken like a true landlord!!

That is because i am a true landlord, or rather landlady to use the correct terminology

I read in your earlier post that you were. Judging by your comments I can imagine you are the typical landlord/lady that spouts that rubbish to your Tennant's. Especially when you get a letter of notice. With holding the bond to feather your greedy pockets!

peterkay1119 m ago

I read in your earlier post that you were. Judging by your comments I can …I read in your earlier post that you were. Judging by your comments I can imagine you are the typical landlord/lady that spouts that rubbish to your Tennant's. Especially when you get a letter of notice. With holding the bond to feather your greedy pockets!

That is the law my friend and tenants do landlords in more than the other way round. Of course, you would say that i am biased, but that is the case. Landlords often end up at the wrong end of the stick. The law protects tenants more than landlords.

just because you have been done by your previous landlord, dont mean all landlords are mean, nasty, greedy people. I happen to be a good landlord and dont withold deposit unless absolutely necessary when tenants have caused damage.

the deposit protection scheme protects tenants from losing their deposit to unscrupulous landlords, so if deposits are withheld, they are done so with good reason and with an independent party judgement

mutley11 h, 18 m ago

That is the law my friend and tenants do landlords in more than the other …That is the law my friend and tenants do landlords in more than the other way round. Of course, you would say that i am biased, but that is the case. Landlords often end up at the wrong end of the stick. The law protects tenants more than landlords.just because you have been done by your previous landlord, dont mean all landlords are mean, nasty, greedy people. I happen to be a good landlord and dont withold deposit unless absolutely necessary when tenants have caused damage.the deposit protection scheme protects tenants from losing their deposit to unscrupulous landlords, so if deposits are withheld, they are done so with good reason and with an independent party judgement

Never had my fingers burnt but landlords have tried every trick in the book to extract the most amount of money they can.
Especially when they haven't got anyone immediately moving in. At least that deposit protection scheme came in.

There needs to be more changes to stop people like you creaming ridiculous amounts of money out of hard working people trying to earn a living.

Tennants should be able to give a months notice whenever they like if the contract term is up. Find it hard to swallow when you refer to an inventory that was made up years earlier and expect everything to be exactly the same. Too many greedy people taking advantage of hardworking people.

So so so glad I had an opportunity to be able to own my own home in this terrible housing market. Was sick and tired of getting house inspections and do's and don'ts. Never felt comfortable always waiting for a letter to say I had to move out. Paying most of my earnings for someone who was able to buy many many houses for what would seem like pocket change by today's standards.

Pure greed from a generation that have had it so easy, a generation that thinks they can tell me how and what I should be doing or not doing.

peterkay1111 h, 16 m ago

Never had my fingers burnt but landlords have tried every trick in the …Never had my fingers burnt but landlords have tried every trick in the book to extract the most amount of money they can. Especially when they haven't got anyone immediately moving in. At least that deposit protection scheme came in. There needs to be more changes to stop people like you creaming ridiculous amounts of money out of hard working people trying to earn a living.Tennants should be able to give a months notice whenever they like if the contract term is up. Find it hard to swallow when you refer to an inventory that was made up years earlier and expect everything to be exactly the same. Too many greedy people taking advantage of hardworking people.So so so glad I had an opportunity to be able to own my own home in this terrible housing market. Was sick and tired of getting house inspections and do's and don'ts. Never felt comfortable always waiting for a letter to say I had to move out. Paying most of my earnings for someone who was able to buy many many houses for what would seem like pocket change by today's standards.Pure greed from a generation that have had it so easy, a generation that thinks they can tell me how and what I should be doing or not doing.

life is a bitch, so what's new? property is just a form of investment for people with money and as long as people can afford to pay the extortionate rent, then there will be investors in the property market. it's called capitalism.

mutley16 h, 25 m ago

life is a bitch, so what's new? property is just a form of investment for …life is a bitch, so what's new? property is just a form of investment for people with money and as long as people can afford to pay the extortionate rent, then there will be investors in the property market. it's called capitalism.

Maybe you should brush up on your English skills before trying to patronise me about Capitalism.

That's the problem with people like you; you think you're better than everyone else because you've acquired the power of being a landlady.

Spouting the law off and moaning that Tennant's have too many rights whilst you check your inventory. Get your free bus pass and cream the system as much as you can. You're probably putting together a rent review and inspection at the moment hope you feel good about yourself.

peterkay112 h, 6 m ago

Maybe you should brush up on your English skills before trying to …Maybe you should brush up on your English skills before trying to patronise me about Capitalism. That's the problem with people like you; you think you're better than everyone else because you've acquired the power of being a landlady.Spouting the law off and moaning that Tennant's have too many rights whilst you check your inventory. Get your free bus pass and cream the system as much as you can. You're probably putting together a rent review and inspection at the moment hope you feel good about yourself.

funny the way you assume that everyone who has money has to be old. i won't be collecting my free bus pass any time soon. some people make money while they are young, you probably don't have the ability to do that so can't imagine others being able to do so.

you obviously envy people with money and have a chip on your shoulder about those that do better than you. i won't continue with this discussion as this is getting away from the OP's question so i will leave it there. you may say what you will and think what you like about people with money.

mutley131 m ago

funny the way you assume that everyone who has money has to be old. i …funny the way you assume that everyone who has money has to be old. i won't be collecting my free bus pass any time soon. some people make money while they are young, you probably don't have the ability to do that so can't imagine others being able to do so.you obviously envy people with money and have a chip on your shoulder about those that do better than you. i won't continue with this discussion as this is getting away from the OP's question so i will leave it there. you may say what you will and think what you like about people with money.

I couldn't sleep at night making money by ripping people off or as you put it capitalising. I make money by working hard and learning the law so people like you can't extort my hard earned money.
If you think that bragging about being a landlord and thinking I envy you just goes to show what sort of a person you are.
I will end this discussion by just reminding you; what goes around comes around!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions