Finally eBay gets hit where it should

19 replies
Found 3rd May 2008
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Shares of eBay Inc (EBAY.O: Quote, Profile, Research) fell as much as 4 percent after the company saw a sharp decline in new auction listings in Britain, its third-largest market, Deutsche Bank said in research note on Monday.

Deutsche Bank analyst Jeetil Patel, who advises investors sell off eBay holdings, said weekly data for the third week of April provided by the company showed UK auction listings dropping 9 percent from a week before. By the same measure, the listing of UK merchandise was down 19 percent from a year ago.

Shares of eBay traded down 3.8 percent, or $1.20, to $30.51 in afternoon trading on Nasdaq. Including Monday's decline, the stock is down around 1 percent so far in year-to-date trading.

Growth in new auction listings was flat, week over week, in Germany, eBay's second largest market, and up 1 percent week-to-week in its top market, the United States, despite stepped up sales promotions activity, Patel noted.

Patel argues that eBay's better-than-expected first-quarter results reported last week were driven by currency translation gains and non-auction-related businesses such as PayPal, eBay's online payments service.

(Reporting by Eric Auchard; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick)

19 Comments

Banned

I noticed that it was very quiet on fleece bay yesterday, let's hope that they take note.

Original Poster

dlm;2017146

I noticed that it was very quiet on fleece bay yesterday, let's hope that … I noticed that it was very quiet on fleece bay yesterday, let's hope that they take note.

the new ebay boss is to blame.

i noticed that aswell

normally i go on eBay looking for a few items and couldn't see anything that i wanted

hopefully they will do something about it

what auction sites are people using now?

it not cheap on ebay no more not as much as it used to be i dnt use it much now much prefer it here

Banned

vicknanth;2017292

it not cheap on ebay no more not as much as it used to be i dnt use it … it not cheap on ebay no more not as much as it used to be i dnt use it much now much prefer it here

the second the adverts started on tv.... :x

Paypal owes me 200 quid as my account has now been frozen for over a year.

I have over 600 positive feedbacks at 100% and have sold one thing since 2003 - so I am not really that high risk - having had the account for 7 years with ebay and and been at the same address all that time.

Its my quidco money they have frozen.

However, if you still use Ebay - it works far better by calling the commercial dealers directly, as without ebay/paypal fees they normally post for free - and i also still buy things by sorting auctions on distance - and making offers in emails to sellers - then pick the stuff up myself. So its now impossible to pay for something that wont arrive - and when you speak to someone on the phone its easier to get a lower price when they know they will get cash in hand and dont have to pack it.

So paypal are still holding 200 quid of mine which I will chase later - but have not only lost far more than that in commission - but have saved me far more in what i bought - and I have never been ripped off since I started doing things this way.

Anyone care to join me and try it - its so easy to do and keeps all the money in the UK.

Lastly - nice original post - heat and rep.

Original Poster

ibiza;2017324

Paypal owes me 200 quid as my account has now been frozen for over a … Paypal owes me 200 quid as my account has now been frozen for over a year.I have over 600 positive feedbacks at 100% and have sold one thing since 2003 - so I am not really that high risk - having had the account for 7 years with ebay and and been at the same address all that time.Its my quidco money they have frozen.However, if you still use Ebay - it works far better by calling the commercial dealers directly, as without ebay/paypal fees they normally post for free - and i also still buy things by sorting auctions on distance - and making offers in emails to sellers - then pick the stuff up myself. So its now impossible to pay for something that wont arrive - and when you speak to someone on the phone its easier to get a lower price when they know they will get cash in hand and dont have to pack it.So paypal are still holding 200 quid of mine which I will chase later - but have not only lost far more than that in commission - but have saved me far more in what i bought - and I have never been ripped off since I started doing things this way.Anyone care to join me and try it - its so easy to do and keeps all the money in the UK.Lastly - nice original post - heat and rep.

thnx, why exactly are paypal bullying you then?

Banned

ibiza;2017324

Paypal owes me 200 quid as my account has now been frozen for over a … Paypal owes me 200 quid as my account has now been frozen for over a year.I have over 600 positive feedbacks at 100% and have sold one thing since 2003 - so I am not really that high risk - having had the account for 7 years with ebay and and been at the same address all that time.Its my quidco money they have frozen.However, if you still use Ebay - it works far better by calling the commercial dealers directly, as without ebay/paypal fees they normally post for free - and i also still buy things by sorting auctions on distance - and making offers in emails to sellers - then pick the stuff up myself. So its now impossible to pay for something that wont arrive - and when you speak to someone on the phone its easier to get a lower price when they know they will get cash in hand and dont have to pack it.So paypal are still holding 200 quid of mine which I will chase later - but have not only lost far more than that in commission - but have saved me far more in what i bought - and I have never been ripped off since I started doing things this way.Anyone care to join me and try it - its so easy to do and keeps all the money in the UK.Lastly - nice original post - heat and rep.

Sounds good to me, a lot of people are put off using paypal etc.. because of the costs involved.

The only problem is like when myself being tooo nice for my own good bought a £300 gift card for Argos for a friend.

The guy asked for a cheque, postal order or bank transfer, I paid by bank transfer because I thought that I would save myself postage fees etc..

Low and behold he says that he has sent the voucher not recorded and it has not turned up, my boyfriend has had to refund my friend because I can't afford to and he is now £225 out of pocket.

I have put it through ebay as a dispute because the guy is no longer replying to my emails.

Aaaargh!

Banned

ibiza;2017324

Sounds good to me, a lot of people are put off using paypal because of the costs involved.

The only problem is like when myself being tooo nice for my own good, bought a £300 gift card for a friend.

The guy asked for a cheque, postal order or bank transfer, I paid by bank transfer because I thought that I would save myself postage fees etc..

My friend then gave me the money for the gift card, low and behold, he says that he has sent the voucher not recorded and it has not turned up, my boyfriend has had to refund my friend because I can't afford to and he is now £225 out of pocket.

I have put it through ebay as a dispute because the guy is no longer replying to my emails.

Aaaargh!

As has been said, Fleabay is not cheap anymore!

The only things I get of fleabay now are things that are no longer in production.

Banned

dlm;2017461

Sounds good to me, a lot of people are put off using paypal because of … Sounds good to me, a lot of people are put off using paypal because of the costs involved.The only problem is like when myself being tooo nice for my own good, bought a £300 gift card for a friend.The guy asked for a cheque, postal order or bank transfer, I paid by bank transfer because I thought that I would save myself postage fees etc..My friend then gave me the money for the gift card, low and behold, he says that he has sent the voucher not recorded and it has not turned up, my boyfriend has had to refund my friend because I can't afford to and he is now £225 out of pocket.I have put it through ebay as a dispute because the guy is no longer replying to my emails.Aaaargh!

id pay him a visit personally

Banned

And it was a cheap listing day thursday

down with e-vil bay

Banned

Proximo;2017992

id pay him a visit personally

I haven't got his address just his bank details and name.

dlm;2018605

I haven't got his address just his bank details and name.

So if he was a foreign student who came to the UK and is now returning home - you bought him his ticket if its a scam.

monkeybrains;2017340

thnx, why exactly are paypal bullying you then?

I don't know - and they have declined to offer a reason despite being asked.

It could be one of three things...

1. I put in two requests for refunds for good that never arrived, in the previous month (one they paid out on and the other they said they were unable to recover the money from the seller so I got nothing).

2. I logged into the account while i was on holiday - so outside the UK.

3. Random - if you search for "paypal account" and "blocked/frozen" on google it returned over a million results in total - most i flicked through being people in a similar situation. Lets say I bet paypal and ebay have no overdraft charges at the bank.

Banned

ibiza;2026664

So if he was a foreign student who came to the UK and is now returning … So if he was a foreign student who came to the UK and is now returning home - you bought him his ticket if its a scam.

I know, I'm sooooooo p'd off.

Original Poster

ibiza;2026724

I don't know - and they have declined to offer a reason despite being … I don't know - and they have declined to offer a reason despite being asked.It could be one of three things...1. I put in two requests for refunds for good that never arrived, in the previous month (one they paid out on and the other they said they were unable to recover the money from the seller so I got nothing).2. I logged into the account while i was on holiday - so outside the UK.3. Random - if you search for "paypal account" and "blocked/frozen" on google it returned over a million results in total - most i flicked through being people in a similar situation. Lets say I bet paypal and ebay have no overdraft charges at the bank.

ebay is run by monkeys with a banana in the wrong places

monkeybrains;2067816

ebay is run by monkeys with a banana in the wrong places

well said, comment of the week! :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games55
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522882
    3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 192 ***822
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314658