Groups

Financial advice regarding Very

Very.co.uk have been sending me letters stating i owe them £20. i have not been living at my permanent address so a friend has been opening any mail i get. They have never stated why they think i owe them money or what for.
    I have never had a credit account with them and have always paid via credit or debit card, nor used any codes. When i looked into this initially i couldn't see how i owed them anything so i ignored the letters as they were just asking for payment. I haven't purchased anything for over a year.

Yesterday i received a different letter from Very with " Store Direct Finance company limited" as the addressee giving me a "Default notice served under section 87(1) of the Consumer act 1974, running account credit."
    They state " We refer to the above agreement which you have entered into with us.the payment clause of the agreement provides that you must make the required periodic payment in full by its due date.You are in breach of that clause because you have failed to make all payments when due and are in arrears."

They go on to say they may take further action if i do not pay by a certain date , they state further action will be "On the date shown, we shall require payment of the outstanding balance of the account , less any rebate allowable" rebate shown as £0 and then the amount owed is shown.

This afternoon i had a good look into this and it seems that Very may have refunded me an additional £20 for item i returned and have been sending me letters for payment.

My questions are

Is this default notice valid as i have never taken out a credit agreement with Very?

If they have refunded me an incorrect amount to their detriment do i have to pay it back and is there any legal way they can enforce this?

If they have refunded me an incorrect amount to their detriment can they legally open a credit account with out my permission and transfer the amount to the credit account then use the credit terms to enforce payment?

The further action they state seems to be nothing, they do not mention debt collectors etc Are they trying to frighten me into paying?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

18 Comments

I'm not 100pc but debt can be enforced for up to six years, I'll let others answer with regards to how very have acted with regard to the debt.

for £20 they will only send nasty letters, you should pay them back if they over paid you, but i cannot see anything happening.

Is it possible someone used your account after your moved out?

call their cust svc and explain what happened

To put it simply:

1. They've refunded too much to you (£20) to be exact.

2. It's not a credit account.

3. It's a simple civil matter, whereby someone has overpaid you. They are legally entitled for this to be returned, and you are obliged to pay them.

If you find they have overpaid you, simply pay them back. But I'd also check on experian/equifax that no default has been recorded.

Put everything in writing to them and insist the same by them in explaining the reasons. Also request for a copy of the signed credit agreement.

You may want to check what you signed up for when you got the very account. I have an account but never use the credit option, however I do remember when I signed up you are signing up to a credit agreement whether you use the facility or not.

Original Poster

nacho99

Is it possible someone used your account after your moved out?

highly unlikely as the property is still owned by me just dont live there much due to work , my friend keeps a eye on it for me

Original Poster

char7ie2008

Put everything in writing to them and insist the same by them in … Put everything in writing to them and insist the same by them in explaining the reasons. Also request for a copy of the signed credit agreement.

yes i was going to do this as i would like to see the agreement
    Edited by: "shez786" 24th Feb 2015

Original Poster

nickc74

You may want to check what you signed up for when you got the very … You may want to check what you signed up for when you got the very account. I have an account but never use the credit option, however I do remember when I signed up you are signing up to a credit agreement whether you use the facility or not.

i did have a look and it is a standard account, no mention of credit facilities

If you repay the sum before the default notice expires then you may be able to stop it from going on your credit reference file (CRF), but they can still record the payment as being missed which will stay in your CRF for 6 years As a def will stay on your credit file for 6 years and could affect you obtaining credit in the future.

Original Poster

mwb1

If you repay the sum before the default notice expires then you may be … If you repay the sum before the default notice expires then you may be able to stop it from going on your credit reference file (CRF), but they can still record the payment as being missed which will stay in your CRF for 6 years As a def will stay on your credit file for 6 years and could affect you obtaining credit in the future.

thanks, i have contacted them for further proof of the credit agreement and am waiting for a reply, i wonder how they can record a missed payment if there is no credit agreement and repayment terms specified even if they have refunded me by mistake

If they don't provide any documentation you can contact the credit ref agencies to put a dispute in, as well as complain to creditor

if they overpaid you and want it back, this is an exceptionally poor way to request it.
    have a word with them to establish how the £20 debt arose, and then write a very strongly worded letter about how inappropriate their actions have been

Original Poster

DennisG

if they overpaid you and want it back, this is an exceptionally poor way … if they overpaid you and want it back, this is an exceptionally poor way to request it.have a word with them to establish how the £20 debt arose, and then write a very strongly worded letter about how inappropriate their actions have been

exactly i have asked what this £20 is for and how it has arose, i might try and complain to the Financial Ombudsman, but am waiting for their response first.

good. if i was in your shoes, the only outcome I'd be satisfied with would be for them to write off the amount as a goodwill gesture for the grief and time wasted on it

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-j9u1K_RW5zA/UtRiI4u4o4I/AAAAAAAAAZA/Vnf0u959w8c/s1600/EveryThreadEver.gif

Original Poster

dreadzone101

i claim spidey

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!22
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553771
    3. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value48
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423914467

See more discussions